close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
Degrees are a good thing and open doors much faster. I have zero education after high school and 1 or 2 extra steps are usually a requirement to get where you need to be. That said having a brain, common sense and a great work ethic tend to win every time. I like winning.

My nephew decided very early after high school he was going straight into welding and hasn’t looked back. The young man is doing very well for himself already. No what you want and go get it. Success will come.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Degrees are a good thing and open doors much faster. I have zero education after high school and 1 or 2 extra steps are usually a requirement to get where you need to be. That said having a brain, common sense and a great work ethic tend to win every time. I like winning.

My nephew decided very early after high school he was going straight into welding and hasn’t looked back. The young man is doing very well for himself already. No what you want and go get it. Success will come.

Even better, buddy of mine that is 4 years younger than me.. I told him I wish I went to welding school.. So he did, left high school and walked into a 40/hr job as a welder. 2 years later he decided that he then wanted to go to school. He graduated nursing school, worked as a nurse for a few years and now is halfway through PA school.. But he's still a certified welder.. That's the most badass combo and I wish I had done something similar.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 4:40 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

Even better, buddy of mine that is 4 years younger than me.. I told him I wish I went to welding school.. So he did, left high school and walked into a 40/hr job as a welder. 2 years later he decided that he then wanted to go to school. He graduated nursing school, worked as a nurse for a few years and now is halfway through PA school.. But he's still a certified welder.. That's the most badass combo and I wish I had done something similar.

^^^ hands down the best cauterizer in the OR tup

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 4:41 Quote
obee1 wrote:
ATV25 wrote:
Obee, you need to quit teaching and go into fight commentating, with twentysixer as your color man. LOL

these days i'm strongly considering either becoming a janitor or a cel tower repair man. because at work the janitors seem to be able to make decisions about what i can teach depending on the mess, and my next door neighbours wake boat, dirtbikes snowmobiles make me think that the 200+ k a year with a grade 9 education might have been a better choice than wasting my time getting a handful of stupid degrees.

makes me wonder just wtf I'm doing working on my degree at 53 yo instead of using that time with my family. Confused

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 6:10 Quote
adm750 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

Yeah, you think he ever gets to combine these skills?

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
husstler wrote:
adm750 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

He's ahead of the game for cybernetic repair work.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:
adm750 wrote:

Knowing how vain humans are, when we have that tech available it will just be robo-dick-enhancements for years before it's used to save lives.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
husstler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:

Knowing how vain humans are, when we have that tech available it will just be robo-dick-enhancements for years before it's used to save lives.

Would that be considered D. I. ? (Dick intelligence)

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
I think attitude is worth a lot more than a university degree.
what ever you are doing, if you have the attitude that you are going to succeed and you like what you are doing, it will bring you happiness. Money may be good or bad but if you like what you are doing then it makes you want to do more. My ex wife is in a job that she hates (for which she took classes less than 2 years ago) when I listen to her telling me about her work it sounds like she is going to prison!

I got lucky that I can do what I want, the money is ok however the experience invaluable!
I went from an oil and gas great paying job that flushed me out after 20 years and in the end, it was awful as they kept doing reorganizations that shed more and more staff onshore for jobs in the Philippines, Singapore or South Africa. Everyone I spoke to that remained for a period told me that the work climate was just awful as it turned into dog eat dog to try to keep a job there. I'm happy that I left when I did.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
What are you old guys skiing on these days?
Still on a pair of Rossignols from around 2005 or 6. Z-5.
I was at one time a decent skier and fairly aggressive in the bumps and I still like to run the occasional line when the body lets me. I am much more conservative on the boards than I was but still would like a ski that will do tight turns and also cruise well. Typically not a lot of deep snow around here.
Any suggestions?

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
Degrees aren't very important imo... uni is super helpful in making connections and developing relationships but the degree itself is pretty meaningless unless you're in a very specific field. You wanna be a lawyer or a doctor or something, degree all the way. You wanna be a software developer, a degree would be useful in your very first job out of college but you could just as easily have a body of work to show... and in pretty much every industry, once you have an established work history, nobody cares where you went to college.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
billbek wrote:
What are you old guys skiing on these days?
Still on a pair of Rossignols from around 2005 or 6. Z-5.
I was at one time a decent skier and fairly aggressive in the bumps and I still like to run the occasional line when the body lets me. I am much more conservative on the boards than I was but still would like a ski that will do tight turns and also cruise well. Typically not a lot of deep snow around here.
Any suggestions?
One big fat plank is my solution...
Lots of really good skiis out there now, I'd look for an all mountain ski with 90- 100mm width under foot. Anything wider is tough on groomers.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
husstler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Would that be considered D. I. ? (Dick intelligence)

.....the procedure for lesbians or transgender women would be an addadicktome

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

traveling nurse and on call welder.... BANK!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023320
Mobile Version of Website