Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 20:41 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Just use a dremel... that's what I use.

or if you want to start a bit more mellow, I have used a dog nail file that is really helping my daughter's dog as usually she freaks out when she sees the clippers.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
Have a dremel, quieter dog pussy one, files, clippers... you name it. Leo had his foot broken along with his tail prior to us getting him. Lets just say he’s....foot sensitive. In fact he has been banned from groomers for going apeshit during nail attempts and kennels for escaping with his talon like claws he uses to scale chain link fence like a ninja.

The best was this dude, big guy, 6’6” and near 300lbs. When we asked if he had anyone there that was a nail expert with dogs that went crazy. He said people called him the dog whisperer and that he could handle it. I explained that this was serious and Leo would spin like an alligator and take any and every evasive measures necessary to avoid trimming. That he had literally bested all who had tried. He looks down and says “ oh whats he 45 lbs? I’m a pretty big guy I can hold him down if need be, but it wont be necessary “

I’m like.... uhhhh ok if you think its a go but fair warning. So he has this other guy take the leash and bring him to the back room. And Leo just starts in like first gear...not havin it. Dude yells back for another guy who comes to help... Dog Whisperer looks over at me and is like, just go man don’t worry about it we’ll get him done. As I am walking out the door they’re obviously on the opposite side of the wall, and I hear this Swedish Chef sounding CRASH!!!!! Like stainless steel table and utensils all over the place kinda crash... I just chuckle and head off to do whatever it was i needed to do. Second gear....

Come back a few hours later and walk in to see Dog Whisperer behind the counter... as Im getting closer I see scrapes and shit all over his arms... just raked. Then he looks up at me and he’s got that shit all up his neck and across his face... looked like Freddy Kruger had his way with him... I’m like... ohhhh buddy was that from??? He nods... yeah... well... we didn’t get but like three clipped...so I wont charge you... It was pretty traumatic for everyone...

So he goes on to tell me he’s never seen anything like it. No one had. That we would probably need to go to a vet and have him sedated even though he hated saying that.

out comes Leo....and he’s just prancing around like a f*cking show pony all looking up at me..... look what I did dad lol

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 21:18 Quote
I actually felt pretty bad for the guy...

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 21:53 Quote
lol
I hear CBD can be pretty calming for the pups. I had Jane checked for hip displasia a couple weeks back, she's all good I'm just neurotic and noticed some bunny hopping in her gait and knowing how labs can be and with her activity levels, I want to get ahead of it and have it checked so I'm not doing any damage to her long term by taking her riding and what not. All clear, just super tight psoas and hips, so we do some stretches every now and then.
Anyway, they sedated her pretty good for the physical exam and x-rays, I picked her up as she's coming down from the opioids and she's so out of it, like drooling and staring at me like a goon. I took that opportunity to trim her nails and even though she was high as a kite she still wasn't into me doing it, pulling away and trying to run off like some baby moose all tripping over herself, but it got done and I've got a couple weeks left before I need to try again. No more opioids though, f*ck that, we'll maybe try something more mellow and natural and I've heard CBD can work well

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 3:55 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

holy smokes Ster, I'm literally laughing out loud at that story. I could picture ALL of that shit. lol lol

This was my first read of the morning on PB. Been working on projects to finish up this semester (finals week) before I start work this morning and I needed a f*cking break...

btw....friend appreciates your offer but says he's busy....forever.....

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 4:05 Quote
That was a long post sterling but well worth the read. Funny shit right there !!!

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 5:49 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Situations like that you've gotta work up to over a course of weeks... get em somwhere they're confidant and comfortable, chilling on the sofa with you or something, and then start by touching a paw and giving a treat, work up to holding his paw, etc. Nobody is gonna break that horse in one session and trying to hold him down would just make it worse.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 5:51 Quote
Two other tips obee... dental treats and Petrodex Enzymatic toothpaste, and brushing their teeth regularly starting when they're puppies. Pays off in the long run.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 5:54 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Situations like that you've gotta work up to over a course of weeks... get em somwhere they're confidant and comfortable, chilling on the sofa with you or something, and then start by touching a paw and giving a treat, work up to holding his paw, etc.

Dim the lights, maybe light some candles, play some Marvin Gaye softly in the background. Start with a little belly rub… lol

…or just roofy the poor dog, wake up the next morning with short nails thinking “wtf happened last night?”

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 5:54 Quote
chacou wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Situations like that you've gotta work up to over a course of weeks... get em somwhere they're confidant and comfortable, chilling on the sofa with you or something, and then start by touching a paw and giving a treat, work up to holding his paw, etc.

Dim the lights, maybe light some candles, play some Marvin Gaye softly in the background. Start with a little belly rub… lol
Exactly... whatever it takes lol

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 6:16 Quote
Hes a hard case with the feet. I have been coaxing his toesies for 4 years now. He still pulls away but I can grab one for a few seconds usually now if he’s chillin. But bring out a tool and he’s in fuggoff mode. Its funny they say dogs resemble they’re owners... 95% chill....5% irrational lunatic ... sounds about right....

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 6:23 Quote
chacou wrote:
lol
I hear CBD can be pretty calming for the pups. I had Jane checked for hip displasia a couple weeks back, she's all good I'm just neurotic and noticed some bunny hopping in her gait and knowing how labs can be and with her activity levels, I want to get ahead of it and have it checked so I'm not doing any damage to her long term by taking her riding and what not. All clear, just super tight psoas and hips, so we do some stretches every now and then.
Anyway, they sedated her pretty good for the physical exam and x-rays, I picked her up as she's coming down from the opioids and she's so out of it, like drooling and staring at me like a goon. I took that opportunity to trim her nails and even though she was high as a kite she still wasn't into me doing it, pulling away and trying to run off like some baby moose all tripping over herself, but it got done and I've got a couple weeks left before I need to try again. No more opioids though, f*ck that, we'll maybe try something more mellow and natural and I've heard CBD can work well

Needs opioids lol

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Hes a hard case with the feet. I have been coaxing his toesies for 4 years now. He still pulls away but I can grab one for a few seconds usually now if he’s chillin. But bring out a tool and he’s in fuggoff mode. Its funny they say dogs resemble they’re owners... 95% chill....5% irrational lunatic ... sounds about right....

Jogging on rough concrete might be your only option.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
husstler wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Jogging on rough concrete might be your only option.

Yep thats where we’re at... lol a little fetch in a tennis court works in small doses too. Kinda rough on the pads if over done. But its like sandpaper

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Yep thats where we’re at... lol a little fetch in a tennis court works in small doses too. Kinda rough on the pads if over done. But its like sandpaper

Around here you’d be crucified by the pickleball club if they saw you playing fetch on the tennis/pickleball courts. “Silver sneakers” up ya ass!
They run this town, I was sitting in on our rec district board meeting last night and it’s straight outta an episode of Parks and Rec only instead of being funny it’s just pathetic. I’ve been trying for two years going to get approval for a pump track on rec district land. Instead last night they spent time talking about building a “ninja warrior” park (“it’s quite popular right now” one board member said) and/or more multipurpose courts for pickleball but that could also be used as an inline skating rink :mindblown:

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023356
Mobile Version of Website