Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
billbek wrote:
We're to hit the deepfreeze again tomorrow! Is the cord available or will you try to repair what you have?

I really don't feel like getting on the fatbike after skiing yesterday but should get out for a ride before it gets cold again.

I did run some bumps yesterday. My quads were screaming at my decision to do so.... Wasn't graceful or pretty to watch.

I think I am going to just put a new end on it - it's just 2" from the plug that goes into the extension cord that's bad. Yeah deep freeze for a week and then back into some more mild temps. I'm OK with a deep freeze as long as there's an end in sight.

Fatbiking has been great this week! It's a lot nicer when you're not huffing in -15 air.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
adm750 wrote:
dude, that's awesome. Glad you found the issue and can get it sorted.

The lake effect snow we get can be pretty heavy, and it's been years since the lake froze so that we don't get all that heavy damp snowfall. This was pretty wet from this storm but it didn't clear off too bad. We do get that icy wet stuff here too and driving in it is agreeably super sketch, especially on some of these roadways through the farm areas and open fields.

This was one of the snow tire sets I'd run on my wagon... I was having zero problems regardless of conditions. Tach up, traction control off. Absolutely f*cking sideways everywhere, throwing snow out the back like a winter version of rolling coal. Jailbreak

Blizzaks?

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
yessir....235/45-17 WS60's. Always went with the soft ones (the WS's vs the LM's).

I also had one set of brand new 16" Michelin Alpins that a customer gave me. Pretty OK for the first season, every season after that they just got worse. Couldn't trust 'em at all.

The Continental Extreme Winter Contact was another jewel of a snow tire. I had those in a 235/45-17 on the sedan as well. f*ckers rocked.

The soft Blizzaks and the Conti EWC's were incredible. Full send with those bitches mounted.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
great lake winter cold hits different. alberta cold can be cold as a hot chick at a slow dance, but its a dry cold. great lakes cold feels like it burrows into my bones and just refuses to leave.
the problem with alberta winter roads is the competency variance of drivers, and the delusion of safety while driving a lifted truck. ahem.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
These guys know how to make the best of a brutal Minnesota winter.......f*ck that! lol

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
There's no shit show like Vancouver when it snows. It snows so seldom that people don't bother with winter tires. But they also don't stay home for the two days that it does snow.

And they come to Whistler on those tires.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 10:04 Quote
All varieties of shitshow out there. Like when you see 3" of snow somewhere in the south, and there are 400 cars piled up on a freeway. Kind of makes sense if they aren't prepared and run worn summer tires.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 10:52 Quote
I don't know nothin bout nothin

but the cold snap we had over the holidays on the island I noticed there was black ice everywhere...

I think on the mainland they're so on it with the brine before, during, and after a weather event that you can have a lot more confidence in the roads... roads out here were down right sketchy compared to what I'm familiar with in the Rockies.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
Seattle is a zoo, topography is pretty horrible for the wet snow/ice that ensues. All you need is an ASD vehicle with good tires but FFS the capable/f*cktard ratio is out of whack leaning heavily towards the latter...

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 11:05 Quote
welp...that was 2 hours of my life I won't get back....

broke a shear pin on one half of the blades. capping it off was 3 foot deep snow at the end of the driveway....the entire width of the driveway and 6 feet from the street. Thanks street plow driving motherf*ckers.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
I don't know nothin bout nothin

but the cold snap we had over the holidays on the island I noticed there was black ice everywhere...

I think on the mainland they're so on it with the brine before, during, and after a weather event that you can have a lot more confidence in the roads... roads out here were down right sketchy compared to what I'm familiar with in the Rockies.

Yep we deal with snow and black ice so little here they are not prepared for it at the municipal level. I once almost had a head on with a dump truck due to black ice. I came over a one lane bridge with a light and when I got to the other side he started to brake for the light and then started sliding sideways down the road. I hit my brakes and had nothing but the abs sound. I swerved towards the ditch and luckily squeezed by as the road was elevated and it was a got 8-10ft to the ground.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 11:49 Quote
yeah, that shit is bad here.

After I moved up from Florida (during summer time) I wound up working at this GMC shop and my first Ohio winter was coming on like a mother. I was commuting 30+ miles a day to Akron and I'd drive the whole way in 4wd (in my '90 Chevy 1500 stepside 350ci 5-speed manual). What a hoot but the snow was epic and non-stop that first winter.

So, I'm in early, as usual, as were these two old timers that were the lot porters. Dudes are in their late 70's. We'd get to shooting the shit all the time but one day they started telling me about these black guys up here in Ohio...

I'm like "black guys...!?!? whaddaya mean 'black guys'.....???"

"oh yeah Florida boy, you gotta watch out man....there's black guys all over the place" one old-schooler tells me in his super gruff voice.. "....on the streets, backroads especially, out in the country....all over man...everywhere, especially this time of year...." And these two old jokers are going on and on for like 20 minutes back and forth agreeing with each other about these black guys and how dangerous this phenomenon was.

"...BLACK GUYS...??????? REALLY...???? You mean to tell me there's a bunch of black people wandering around out here in this cold ass shit...!?!?!?" I'm starting to wonder just what the total f*ck is going on here in Ohio.... Razz

both of them: "BLACK ICE....!!!!"

oh...... Facepalm

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 13:19 Quote
adm750 wrote:

After I moved up from Florida (during summer time) I wound up working at this GMC shop and my first Ohio winter was coming on like a mother. I was commuting 30+ miles a day to Akron and I'd drive the whole way in 4wd (in my '90 Chevy 1500 stepside 350ci 5-speed manual). What a hoot but the snow was epic and non-stop that first winter.

So, I'm in early, as usual, as were these two old timers that were the lot porters. Dudes are in their late 70's. We'd get to shooting the shit all the time but one day they started telling me about these black guys up here in Ohio...

"oh yeah Florida boy, you gotta watch out man....there's black guys all over the place" one old-schooler tells me in his super gruff voice.. "....on the streets, backroads especially, out in the country....all over man...everywhere, especially this time of year...." And these two old jokers are going on and on for like 20 minutes back and forth agreeing with each other about these black guys and how dangerous this phenomenon was.

"...BLACK GUYS...??????? REALLY...???? You mean to tell me there's a bunch of black people wandering around out here in this cold ass shit...!?!?!?" I'm starting to wonder just what the total f*ck is going on here in Ohio.... Razz

oh...... Facepalm

That there is pretty funny...

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 13:44 Quote
adm750 wrote:

oh...... Facepalm

Something similar happened with me at work when I was a kid but it was topless bar vs tapas bar.
I thought I worked with a bunch of freaks for like a solid year.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
Hahaha

black ice

tapas bar

Hahaha

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023929
Mobile Version of Website