Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 19:19 Quote
husstler wrote:
leverfingers wrote:
I can't stand mountainbikers. I mostly ride by myself. I don't bring a mirror.

Catching up on a couple weeks,

But yeah.

This.

there was a significant change in the atmosphere of mountain biking when people began to record, strava(?) and post their rides and the stats connected to them. there used to be an air of punk rock DIY in the sport about 20 years ago. it was mostly DH riding, but it was super f*cking cool to see huge shuttle sessions, road trips to whis and silverstar, debauchery in fernie. those days were edgey, dangerous, full of adrenaline, dopamine, dope i mean, and loud rude aggressive shenanigans. it was glorious. we were building covert trails putting thousands of hours into absurd lines and stunts, and people went out of their way to help or just express appreciation.
then all of a sudden people wouldn't stop if you had a flat, people worried about their heart rates, bike trail clubs and all the rules and regs showed up and all and all the douchebags took over the sport.

it was like judas priest. we were all screaming for vengeance and defending the faith, rocking badass spikey armbands and 3/4 sleeve tour shirts, and then one day you wake up and realize it was just a buncha dudes wearing tight clothes blowin each other.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 19:29 Quote
obee1 wrote:
there was a significant change in the atmosphere of mountain biking when people began to record, strava(?) and post their rides and the stats connected to them. there used to be an air of punk rock DIY in the sport about 20 years ago. it was mostly DH riding, but it was super f*cking cool to see huge shuttle sessions, road trips to whis and silverstar, debauchery in fernie. those days were edgey, dangerous, full of adrenaline, dopamine, dope i mean, and loud rude aggressive shenanigans. it was glorious. we were building covert trails putting thousands of hours into absurd lines and stunts, and people went out of their way to help or just express appreciation.
then all of a sudden people wouldn't stop if you had a flat, people worried about their heart rates, bike trail clubs and all the rules and regs showed up and all and all the douchebags took over the sport.

it was like judas priest. we were all screaming for vengeance and defending the faith, rocking badass spikey armbands and 3/4 sleeve tour shirts, and then one day you wake up and realize it was just a buncha dudes wearing tight clothes blowin each other.

That brought a tear to my eye. Couldn’t have said it better.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 19:59 Quote
Same thing happened to skateboarding in and out for years. In some ways things are far better ghetto and unpopular. The popularity does seem to advance the parts performance though...

I have a hard time with the mtb organized “gatherings” (not friends putting things together) but organizations. Too much hoo rah and contrived camaraderie. I prefer quiet strolls through the forests on a regular basis but will subject myself to the booyahs now and again.

I cannot speak upon 20 years back but over the last 10-12 years or how ever long I have been partaking it has definitely reached a funny pitch.

The social media callout culture is horrendous.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 20:01 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
obee1 wrote:

That brought a tear to my eye. Couldn’t have said it better.

Cheers to all of that, old f*cks! Beer

Just watched a Bon Scott documentary, I think, "I'm here for a good time, not a long time" sums it up nicely.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 7:37 Quote

OMG! I just saw this this morning. This is what can happen when you get a foot peg to the arse in a MX/SX crash. The crash is just after the 14 minute mark and the hospital unpacking/repacking procedure is at the 17 minute mark. I feel like I’ll need to wear butt armor the next time I ride my MX bike. Eek

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:53 Quote
I’m not even going to watch that. I just cant.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
just catching up too....

awesome convo across the past few pages...

but then again, it always is with this group Beer Salute

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I’m not even going to watch that. I just cant.

100%. hard pass.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 12:08 Quote
obee1 wrote:
[ there used to be an air of punk rock DIY in the sport about 20 years ago. it was mostly DH riding

I never rode DH. Occasional visits to a park, but on my trail/AM/Enduro/whateverthef*ck bikes. Noragrets. That DH stuff looks like it can hurt.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
obee1 wrote:

I really didn't have an issue with most riders until the last couple years... the covid crowd trying to get outdoors has been a massive shitstain on cycling.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 12:45 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
obee1 wrote:

I really didn't have an issue with most riders until the last couple years... the covid crowd trying to get outdoors has been a massive shitstain on cycling.
Imo the IMBA created alot of the holier than those attitudes in MTB.
Too many regulations and too many standards.
Now most authorized trails are so similar, berm roller roller berm.
This has brought back the underground riding and building scene around here and is the only way we have any new trails in 5years.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 14:24 Quote
Love it when you old bastards get to conversating. So many great thoughts. Except that I am too short for the Stacyc's!! Suck a fatty Fuckers!!!lol lol

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Love it when you old bastards get to conversating. So many great thoughts. Except that I am too short for the Stacyc's!! Suck a fatty Fuckers!!!lol lol

You're 6'2" on the inside.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
d-man wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
obee1 wrote:

Imo the IMBA created alot of the holier than those attitudes in MTB.
Too many regulations and too many standards.
Now most authorized trails are so similar, berm roller roller berm.
This has brought back the underground riding and building scene around here and is the only way we have any new trails in 5years.

100% Leroy. i think that i might have unconsciously cemented the covid affect into my strava group. they most certainly heightened the douche-nicity of the experience.

d man i think it was IMBA BC guys who came into a trail day at moose mtn (alberta) who openly disparaged the existing building on the mtn, and complained about the money being spent in alberta as a waste of resources. right in front of trail builders. i had discussions with a few lads who were handy with chainsaws, shovels and holes that would never be found about those individuals, but it was at the end of my trail building tenure. and those types of people are why i stopped trail building.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023758
Mobile Version of Website