Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Local trails going in on private land at a resort traditionally known for golf have actually been pretty good. However after… 4? Maybe 5? years an excellent climb trail designed for all has been bulldozed because rich people need more 2 million dollar homes with views.

No need for the “woe is me, rich people are bad” vibes. Leave that for the broke crowd at the MTB club hangouts and pity parties.

Those Predator folks aren’t rich. Rich people don’t buy real estate in hot markets at peak price. Rich people develop the resorts. God forbid they have to live among the vast herd of mindless undulates. There’s a handful of genuinely wealthy people who live at Predator but most of that crowd are fur coat, no knickers type, leveraged to death just to keep their crusty fingers within grabbing distance of the Joneses. It’s a psychological cancer in the west and prevalent in the Okanagan, but slightly less so in Vernon. Rich folks don’t waste money on HOA fees living in a fish bowl listening to their neighbours farting on their decks. 99% of the genuinely wealthy people I know or have met were totally decent people. It’s the wannabes who are the jerks. Nasty shitty backstabbers, truly insecure desperate people. But they’re far more “visible” from their hillside McMansions made of twigs and warped reject lumber, and in their leased Audis.

Wanna know how to be worth a million in 2023? Buy a house at Predator for $2m in 2022.

Yeah I guess you’re right. The truly wealthy don’t live there. Edited.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
99% of the genuinely wealthy people I know or have met were totally decent people. It’s the wannabes who are the jerks. Nasty shitty backstabbers, truly insecure desperate people.
This 100%... all the "rich" people I've met have been pretty shit, but all the "wealthy" people I've met have been cool as f*ck.

It's sort of the "act like you've been there before" mentality; the rich are desperately trying to seem wealthy whereas the wealthy have been there before and stopped giving a f*ck what they seem to anyone else.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
gnarbar wrote:
99% of the genuinely wealthy people I know or have met were totally decent people. It’s the wannabes who are the jerks. Nasty shitty backstabbers, truly insecure desperate people.
This 100%... all the "rich" people I've met have been pretty shit, but all the "wealthy" people I've met have been cool as f*ck.

It's sort of the "act like you've been there before" mentality; the rich are desperately trying to seem wealthy whereas the wealthy have been there before and stopped giving a f*ck what they seem to anyone else.

this is represented at my work all the time. i was chatting with an old friend/ alumni parent one day as we watched and listened to this over the top lamborghini aventador catwalk thru the school parking lot pickup. all eyes were on the gaudy lambo as "ted" crossed his arms, chuckled and dismissed the experience with " i've been trynna get that thing off the lot for a year", because "ted" owned that and many other dealerships in town. and some of the gas that went in it.
rich guy spends his money to show everyone his declaration of lifestyle.
wealthy guy owns everything rich guy spends his money on.
its like, when you are good at something you go around telling everyone how good you are at it. when you are great-other people tell you.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 10:04 Quote
obee1 wrote:
declaration of lifestyle.

Tacoma, roof top tent, pit vipers, ride or die trucker cap

obee1 wrote:
when you are good at something you go around telling everyone how good you are at it. when you are great-other people tell you.

let me tell you more about me

Can't find it, but another great Obee observation was upon return from Moab... no friendly greetings in passing... everyone has a thousand-yard stare on account of all the rad shit they just did

gems Salute

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
d-man wrote:
Apparently our local club has the highest number of members this year, but still no new trails or proposals. Actually losing trails..
They announced a trail day last week but volunteers had to be members for "insurance" purposes.
Until I see some actual forward movement I am not going to support the club. As one of the original founding members I am really disappointed in the lack of action. I know it's alot of work, been there done that.
Same deal with the membership thing here D. I haven't renewed yet so I guess I've been building illegally all spring.

Some IMBA people came out last year and gave me a "report card" for my two trails. In one spot I buried about a 3 foot length of 4" pipe under the trail at a area where there was always a puddle. Now, no puddle. But, one of the comments for that trail was "drain pipe exposed". FFS, I lugged four nice, big rocks up there to put on either side of that pipe where maybe a 1/2 inch of it sticks out. There is zero chance you could hit that pipe, if you could even see it at trail speed. f*cktards.

On the plus side, a new riding area is opening up east of PG. Pretty decent vertical, I'd say 15-20 mins from downtown and a beauty shuttle road right to the towers at the top. They've just started clearing trails a few weeks ago. We'll see if they get anything finished this summer.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 11:01 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
[ It’s a psychological cancer in the west and prevalent in the Okanagan, but slightly less so in Vernon. Rich folks don’t waste money on HOA fees living in a fish bowl listening to their neighbours farting on their decks. 99% of the genuinely wealthy people I know or have met were totally decent people. It’s the wannabes who are the jerks. Nasty shitty backstabbers, truly insecure desperate people. But they’re far more “visible” from their hillside McMansions made of twigs and warped reject lumber, and in their leased Audis.

Amen.

What disturbs be is that a random shitposting thread on a bike forum has better policy and society analysis than any of the remaining mainstream publications.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 11:19 Quote
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
obee1 wrote:
declaration of lifestyle.

Tacoma, roof top tent, pit vipers, ride or die trucker cap

obee1 wrote:
when you are good at something you go around telling everyone how good you are at it. when you are great-other people tell you.

let me tell you more about me

Can't find it, but another great Obee observation was upon return from Moab... no friendly greetings in passing... everyone has a thousand-yard stare on account of all the rad shit they just did

gems Salute

dude we just think the same about a lot of things. but regards, you remember my verbal diarrhea better than i do.
moab is f*cking awesome. i don't remember saying that but i sure as hell have experienced it.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 12:15 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
Hangtown is sick. Love the othg races out there

Kind of like this forum ( Over the Hill ) LOL
I didn't know that they were still running those races there, I've been out of it for awhile. I do follow the REM races at Glen Helen through Motocross Actions web site though. Looks like a great time !

I don't think they are but I haven't heard much since covid.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
I am a big part of the local association but I did not get voted in... I only work with the youth stuff and its going well so people let me do my thing. As for trails, I work on the local "kids zone" only and again, no one bugs me. In Kamloops we have 2 groups working to promote mountain biking in town and this is the first year that they are sort of working together so I am hopeful that everyone plays nice. As for IMBA... we don't see them much around here. If we did, the Ranch and Harper would be on their hit lists for sure.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
Axxe wrote:
gnarbar wrote:
[ It’s a psychological cancer in the west and prevalent in the Okanagan, but slightly less so in Vernon. Rich folks don’t waste money on HOA fees living in a fish bowl listening to their neighbours farting on their decks. 99% of the genuinely wealthy people I know or have met were totally decent people. It’s the wannabes who are the jerks. Nasty shitty backstabbers, truly insecure desperate people. But they’re far more “visible” from their hillside McMansions made of twigs and warped reject lumber, and in their leased Audis.

Amen.

What disturbs be is that a random shitposting thread on a bike forum has better policy and society analysis than any of the remaining mainstream publications.

I would say most on here are like minded and open to input. That's what makes this so interesting. I seem to look at things a little different or with more of a open mind after reading through the collection of thoughts posted on here. It's a GOOD thing !!!

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
Axxe wrote:
gnarbar wrote:

Amen.

I would say most on here are like minded and open to input. That's what makes this so interesting. I seem to look at things a little different or with more of a open mind after reading through the collection of thoughts posted on here. It's a GOOD thing !!!

i agree axxe. i think in large part its because theres no quarter in most of the conversations. very little is given or taken, or wanted, from each other here. so we mostly just say what we mean and do what we say. and when we are lucky we get to hang out in person once in a while.
mainstream publications and the people who find themselves as faces in the public eye have way too many hidden agendas to address, and puppet strings to trip over. we don't, so we cool.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 15:15 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
I am a big part of the local association but I did not get voted in... I only work with the youth stuff and its going well so people let me do my thing. As for trails, I work on the local "kids zone" only and again, no one bugs me. In Kamloops we have 2 groups working to promote mountain biking in town and this is the first year that they are sort of working together so I am hopeful that everyone plays nice. As for IMBA... we don't see them much around here. If we did, the Ranch and Harper would be on their hit lists for sure.

IMBA came through Harper back in the day, and built a section of trail. Had 2 days with a crew of 20 plus voluntolds and built a little piece of trail just to avoid the steep line before the spiral. The amount of real work that could’ve been accomplished that weekend would’ve been huge. I preferred building on my time/budget.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 20:54 Quote
harperrider wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:

IMBA came through Harper back in the day, and built a section of trail. Had 2 days with a crew of 20 plus voluntolds and built a little piece of trail just to avoid the steep line before the spiral. The amount of real work that could’ve been accomplished that weekend would’ve been huge. I preferred building on my time/budget.

I remember that now. Pretty sure that they have not been invited back since then.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 6:55 Quote
The woke movement has me pissed ! We have a local philanthropy group that stages a bank robbery every year and they give clues out to who the robbers are and where the loot is hidden. You get a cash prize for finding the loot and or naming the bandits. I was in line at the hardware store and some Karen was bitching about how that is promoting violence in the local community. I politely told her if she did not like it here she could leave and that this has been a tradition for over 65 years. They do this during rodeo week and people really get into it. It is actually fun. WTF is wrong with people ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024519
Mobile Version of Website