Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
What does a tortellini REALLY look like?

photo

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I need a bigger trailer that a gooseneck setup. I currently bumper pull a 20' 14k trailer and it works but it's small deck wise and the machine is a lot on that setup. A gooseneck would tow way better.

A 14k lb gooseneck could be had for $8-10k and I could barely swing it in cash. But I know that eventually, I am going to want a tandem 22-24k lb for a bigger machine or for the ability to tow the mini excavator and a skid steer together. Usually those trailers are $20k+ new and 15-17k used.

I just found a 22k trailer for 13k. I'd have to take out a small loan to make it work, but it would absolutely give me room to grow and would be a long term solution. But I have to borrow money to make it happen..

So do I just buy what I need for right now in cash, or do I pull a loan out for a good deal on the long term solution?

If the loan is financially comfortable and the whole setup delivers ROI with no discomfort if revenue from it slows down I’d go with the longer term solution. Then pay down asap.

Otherwise just creep and go and avoid debt. Debt is only bad when it can’t be serviced, is high risk, or high interest rate. Or, of course, if it is allocated to financially illiterate leveraged degenerates.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 12:16 Quote
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
leverfingers wrote:
What does a tortellini REALLY look like?

photo

is that the who cares button?

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 12:17 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I need a bigger trailer that a gooseneck setup. I currently bumper pull a 20' 14k trailer and it works but it's small deck wise and the machine is a lot on that setup. A gooseneck would tow way better.

A 14k lb gooseneck could be had for $8-10k and I could barely swing it in cash. But I know that eventually, I am going to want a tandem 22-24k lb for a bigger machine or for the ability to tow the mini excavator and a skid steer together. Usually those trailers are $20k+ new and 15-17k used.

I just found a 22k trailer for 13k. I'd have to take out a small loan to make it work, but it would absolutely give me room to grow and would be a long term solution. But I have to borrow money to make it happen..

So do I just buy what I need for right now in cash, or do I pull a loan out for a good deal on the long term solution?

Trailers seem to hold their value pretty well, you could always flip it down the road or hire another operator and be able to do multiple jobs and buy the bigger one later. On the other hand we see things slowing down and are taking a conservative approach at the moment. We had the chance to buy some used trucks and equipment for a smoking deal but decided to not pursue it as the bid market here has SLOWED down drastically both residential and commercial even public works has slowed. We have enough work on the books for another year but nothing coming out right now. Maybe after the mid terms things will change. Speaking of politics I kind of sound like a slime ball not answering your question, talking out both sides of my mouth LOL

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Trailers seem to hold their value pretty well, you could always flip it down the road or hire another operator and be able to do multiple jobs and buy the bigger one later. On the other hand we see things slowing down and are taking a conservative approach at the moment. We had the chance to buy some used trucks and equipment for a smoking deal but decided to not pursue it as the bid market here has SLOWED down drastically both residential and commercial even public works has slowed. We have enough work on the books for another year but nothing coming out right now. Maybe after the mid terms things will change. Speaking of politics I kind of sound like a slime ball not answering your question, talking out both sides of my mouth LOL

Trailers absolutely hold value. My last 2 have actually appreciated in value since I bought smart.

After kicking it around, I think I am going to stay with a smaller trailer setup for now. The other factor is that a cheaper GN trailer, I could afford to sell my existing bumper pull setup to my dad at below market rate, and that way it's would still be around for utilization if needed. The larger GN setup, I figured I'd sell it for full market value to try and minimize my debt for the bigger setup.

If I needed to haul both machines, I could just have dad move the skid steer on the bumper pull setup and I'll move the mini on my GN setup. Having both machines on trailer would be nice, but having 2 smaller trailers that both trucks can move would be better than 1 big trailer that only my truck can move.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

Long term, take out the loan and get the one you'll need.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 16:44 Quote
Ditto on getting the one you need now. Who knows how long our economy and supply chain is going to be effed up, he who has what is needed to get the work now will be king for the next couple of years.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:03 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
Ditto on getting the one you need now.

We talking about trailers or BBLB's love life???

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:18 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:

lol

I mean, same same right? lol

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:25 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
Ditto on getting the one you need now. Who knows how long our economy and supply chain is going to be effed up, he who has what is needed to get the work now will be king for the next couple of years.

Now is the time to obtain spares of everything, backups, redundancies, anything you might have on the wish list for the next 2-3 years. Anything electrical, made from minerals or fossil fuels, batteries, solar units, engineered parts, filters, tech, and such.

The Shanghai shitshow is another pantomime, a deliberate demolition of the supply chain to the west. China benefited from the rise of globalism but now, they want to destroy it. And they’re willing to sacrifice their economy to bring down the heads of this evil hydra that has destroyed western industry and turned people into a slave class reliant on handouts.

In better news, globalization is dead for the long term. The west just has to retool, re-educate, retrain, and rebuild. A ten year project.

We going back to the 50’s…..first gotta budge some ice cream drooling cretinous babbling criminal types and some embedded globalist Nazis. The era of twisted perversion, psychopathic mania, abject degeneracy and slavery is coming to an end. Grab your dungarees, pitchforks, and let’s do this.

It’ll be rough, but at least you’ll have a supply of brake pads, chain oil and brake fluid. To ride smoothly around the prone corpses of Nazi eugenist humanity-hating globalists.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 18:52 Quote
Tortellini - is in reference to Venus’ Navel. It’s a belly button. if you’re sticking your finger there, you are doing it wrong!

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 19:43 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:

lol

I mean, same same right? lol

talkin bout mud flaps my girls got em.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 20:08 Quote
Pretty much killed my ebike battery twice today. Kinda tired. Lol

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 20:31 Quote
I had an e-bike epiphany during a 9 hour drive to Boise this weekend....

Someone should make and sell a stationary bike powered e-bike battery charger! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Would that shut the haters up? It would kinda be like e-bikers are still "earning their turns" by "pre-pedaling". lol

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 20:36 Quote
Had some good laps on some of my favourite trails today. They where logged this spring and didn’t know how they where going fair but overjoyed to have them back.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.045875
Mobile Version of Website