Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Wife and I just walked a 40 acre property 45 mins out of town on a 1000' tall "hill" out in farmland country. 300' of elevation on property with epic panoramic views up top. Absolutely epic opportunity for trails on property and could shoot to hearts desire. Trophy elk regular the property every year.

We currently live in a 1/8th acre in downtown of a tourist town.. We are f*cking over it. Ready to GTFO and onto some land.

We walked the property and then bounced around to all the little small farming towns and we absolutely fell in love with all the small towns and then the schools where the kids would go were all populated by farmers kids. We had that discussion and realized that farmers and their kids are going to be salt of the earth people that actually knew how to work... That's who I want my kids hanging out with.

Has a 30gpm well at 45ft, and has power and a pad already built where we would build a shop-house to start. It's f*cking rad, but it's 600k for 40 acres.

We could probably just about swing the property if our house sells and park a trailer on the property until we got a shop house built and then build the forever home in a few years... But holy f*ck is a 600k property with no house a scary idea, but it seems like a very unique property that our family could be have for the long term.

There are so many barndominiom channels on YT - Create 208 is a good one - and some really nice work. With those designs, the creativity is what delivers a good end product, not always the budget.

Not sure if these kits are available. I’d do something like this if it made a huge impact on the budget, sometimes it’s negligible:

https://youtu.be/FX5JpE9NEhI

$600k sounds a lot but the market is what it is. “Location, location, location” sounds like it is right up there for quality. Sometimes you have to dream big, think big, use every $ and sweat equity and make that life come true. And a legacy for the kids.

Life is short. Make something of it.

After building dad's shop and making it all sorts of pretty, but costing way too much, I'd be building the absolute biggest but most cost effective shop I could. Then a bassic lean too off one side and have a 2 bed apartment for us to live in.

The thought is to do as temporary of a living quarters as possible for a year or so until we could get a house pad up on top of the hill. Then once the house was done, convert the apartment in the shop back into a white room for engine assembly and other clean tasks and then the 2nd bedroom into a paint booth.

We did infloor heat and substantial insulation in the last shop and I absolutely won't do a shop without it.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
This Chimp needs to reinvest heavy , the scales could tip heavy damn quickly

2023’ I hear ya

I was burned once with a small amount playing around, I should have followed my instincts. Would have been an easy gain. Money for nothing.

It’s instinctual from now on, strike hard like a hungry mongoose

The amount of ‘delay’ I could have avoided is inconsequential now, fresh eyes and back to the basics approach. Likewise, really ought to have acted as I saw fit and ignored the baying

Stick to the plan Stan tup

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
Go for ya life Swan, this is not a rehearsal . Whatever you do decide, more hurdles will appear, keep your head down and battle through. Decades later, all being well (!) you’ll look back and know you did everything in your power for your family. Push push push

The hive buzzes hard here, your all-in, so wear ya biggest boots and go a’stompin’

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
gnarbar wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
Wife and I just walked a 40 acre property 45 mins out of town on a 1000' tall "hill" out in farmland country. 300' of elevation on property with epic panoramic views up top. Absolutely epic opportunity for trails on property and could shoot to hearts desire. Trophy elk regular the property every year.

We currently live in a 1/8th acre in downtown of a tourist town.. We are f*cking over it. Ready to GTFO and onto some land.

We walked the property and then bounced around to all the little small farming towns and we absolutely fell in love with all the small towns and then the schools where the kids would go were all populated by farmers kids. We had that discussion and realized that farmers and their kids are going to be salt of the earth people that actually knew how to work... That's who I want my kids hanging out with.

Has a 30gpm well at 45ft, and has power and a pad already built where we would build a shop-house to start. It's f*cking rad, but it's 600k for 40 acres.

We could probably just about swing the property if our house sells and park a trailer on the property until we got a shop house built and then build the forever home in a few years... But holy f*ck is a 600k property with no house a scary idea, but it seems like a very unique property that our family could be have for the long term.

There are so many barndominiom channels on YT - Create 208 is a good one - and some really nice work. With those designs, the creativity is what delivers a good end product, not always the budget.

Not sure if these kits are available. I’d do something like this if it made a huge impact on the budget, sometimes it’s negligible:

https://youtu.be/FX5JpE9NEhI

$600k sounds a lot but the market is what it is. “Location, location, location” sounds like it is right up there for quality. Sometimes you have to dream big, think big, use every $ and sweat equity and make that life come true. And a legacy for the kids.

Life is short. Make something of it.

After building dad's shop and making it all sorts of pretty, but costing way too much, I'd be building the absolute biggest but most cost effective shop I could. Then a bassic lean too off one side and have a 2 bed apartment for us to live in.

The thought is to do as temporary of a living quarters as possible for a year or so until we could get a house pad up on top of the hill. Then once the house was done, convert the apartment in the shop back into a white room for engine assembly and other clean tasks and then the 2nd bedroom into a paint booth.

We did infloor heat and substantial insulation in the last shop and I absolutely won't do a shop without it.

Well I don't know much but I do know that buying real estate goes up more than it goes down, and I don't see your neck of the woods going down anytime soon. Nothing I regret more than passing on land 20 years ago that now would be worth more than double and would be the land I would leave to my kids. Instead I got a cookie cutter house like all my neighbours squished into a cookie cutter suburb.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

You could leave it rigged in for future value, multi generational living space has massive value now. But I get your thing.

Yeah I did a 1,000 sf shop with way over code mega-sulation, thermostat, and a propane heater. Toasty. 2x 420lb tanks for redundancy but never even used half of one the second winter. I put the two tanks in for value add, assuming someone might use the space for working from home, trades, or a craft shop and want it super warm 24/7. Always overbuild, always add maximum value.

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 9:28 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

You could leave it rigged in for future value, multi generational living space has massive value now. But I get your thing.

Yeah I did a 1,000 sf shop with way over code mega-sulation, thermostat, and a propane heater. Toasty. 2x 420lb tanks for redundancy but never even used half of one the second winter. I put the two tanks in for value add, assuming someone might use the space for working from home, trades, or a craft shop and want it super warm 24/7. Always overbuild, always add maximum value.

We would leave some sort of small living space after we moved out. Just the initial build would have a decent sized living room/kitchen and 2 bedrooms. With the twins and convincing the wife to live in a shop for a few years, I'd make it comfortable for the kiddos and give the wife kitchen space to enjoy. Then reclaim the extra space and make it just a small studio for guest use/mother in law quarters.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
d-man wrote:
My fantasy team is looking good for MSA, Finn and Bernard in the top 5qualifiers. Nina and Monica top 5 for ladies.

Last couple days has been cooler temps with a good rainstorm last night. Feeling recharged.

I had Finn and Bernard too, but I also had Myriam who flatted. Still finished with 621 points for this race, which wasn’t too bad. Good race!

I had a decent go outside of Myriam's flat. That one killed me. But 621 with her score is crazy dude! I put up 465. Had Kolb, Finn, Dooley, Meier-Smith, Myriam and Parton.

Kolb's score hurt and Myriam's hurt bad.

Sitting at 4248... which compared to last years top 15 hurts. I can't remember if it was 13 or 11.

EWS was looking half decent until Richie flatted.

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
My Enduro team did well too with Jesse, Reese and Bex B.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
On the cool subject of builds and renos, I'm putting in a porcelain tiled floor in the garage. It seems extravagant but it's a remediation job and it was hardly any more expensive to add the tile and a 6" trim. No ice or snow here so it's low wear and tear. Looks neat with the metal workbench, cabinets and industrial style racking that we had shipped with all our crap.

/

Much hammering
Tile sawing
Excavator
Dump truck
Headache

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 11:16 Quote
I ordered a 30x40 prefab steel shop package couple weeks ago. Said delivery was 6weeks, perfect gave me time to get permits etc. Got a call saying the package will be delivered Saturday. Good and bad, good to get it here but now need to make some space to store it until permits are ready and pad is poured.
Pricing new electrical service to the shop this morning, almost $10k! Called solar guy to get a quote for panels and batteries, if the price is close that may be the way to go.
Heat will be in floor from wood boiler.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 11:35 Quote
d-man wrote:
I ordered a 30x40 prefab steel shop package couple weeks ago. Said delivery was 6weeks, perfect gave me time to get permits etc. Got a call saying the package will be delivered Saturday. Good and bad, good to get it here but now need to make some space to store it until permits are ready and pad is poured.
Pricing new electrical service to the shop this morning, almost $10k! Called solar guy to get a quote for panels and batteries, if the price is close that may be the way to go.

Major things like that are worth buying now or at least in the very near future before some sort of total logistics collapse.

If Taiwan is invaded by China, NOTHING will be coming out of China. Or Taiwan. Imagine the impact. And there's noise coming out of Iran about a major conflict. Israel keeps poking a bear. A three pronged war against the US? Strike while weakened and softened up by the madness of a frail weak sickly old deranged man.

Build your shops and man caves NOW

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 13:10 Quote
Microchips innit

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 14:38 Quote
d-man wrote:

No part of 10k surprises me.. I paid $2500 for 170' of 3" electric conduit. I am sure wire was that much again. Then labor.. On this property we are looking at, the shop site would be a 800' run of wire and the house site would be over 2000' run of wire to get there. That's the scale of stuff that scares me about infrastructure on a bit lot like that.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
Microchips innit

Semiconductors, guv.
Nod/wink.

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 15:15 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
d-man wrote:

No part of 10k surprises me.. I paid $2500 for 170' of 3" electric conduit. I am sure wire was that much again. Then labor.. On this property we are looking at, the shop site would be a 800' run of wire and the house site would be over 2000' run of wire to get there. That's the scale of stuff that scares me about infrastructure on a bit lot like that.
Ya, contractor said about 5k per pole and he can run 50' between poles.
I only need one to get from the hydro line to the back of my property. Hoping I can possibly upgrade the service to the house and then trench to shop.
Solar prices are all over the map depending on type of charge controller/inverter and battery capacity.
18kw lithium battery is about $10k, high end controller is $12k and then panels/labor.
Contractor just installed 100amp equivalent with enough battery backup for 2 days cost for off grid property and it was $140k all in.
Rough cost for shop system is $20k.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025678
Mobile Version of Website