Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Author Message
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 19:09 Quote
Msm is trustworthy... I’m convinced

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 0:51 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
Think I found what bike rack I'm gonna order.

I've been using a 1up rack and I'm honestly only mildly impressed. The overall function is awesome. Build is great. But despite the reinforcement, the thing sways all over the place. Not stable at all. I don't even like having 2 bikes on it as they move all over the place the I'm driving.

There's something wrong with your installation of your 1up is swaying... the stability is probably the most impressive thing about them imo. Are you sure the pinch ball adjustment is tight? I put my bike in that thing and give it a shake and it shakes the whole truck.

My only beef with their racks is having to reach all the way under to pull the release when it's extended, but I just need to buy one of those things they have now that relocates it to the end of the rack to resolve that

My 1up did 147mph on the back of my Outback with my Levo and DJ bike on it. lol

Granted the 1up wasn't on my Forester the times I have jumped that car, but I 100% feel confident in the stability of the 1up racks.

My shitty as Yakima rack has done that.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 0:53 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
Think I found what bike rack I'm gonna order.

I've been using a 1up rack and I'm honestly only mildly impressed. The overall function is awesome. Build is great. But despite the reinforcement, the thing sways all over the place. Not stable at all. I don't even like having 2 bikes on it as they move all over the place the I'm driving.

There's something wrong with your installation of your 1up is swaying... the stability is probably the most impressive thing about them imo. Are you sure the pinch ball adjustment is tight? I put my bike in that thing and give it a shake and it shakes the whole truck.

My only beef with their racks is having to reach all the way under to pull the release when it's extended, but I just need to buy one of those things they have now that relocates it to the end of the rack to resolve that

Not much to mess up there… tighten… done… the base doesn’t move. The trays flex and rock and the bikes move around. They’re not going anywhere but I sure as shit check them constantly while driving and would never smash a dirt road with them.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
Think I found what bike rack I'm gonna order.

I've been using a 1up rack and I'm honestly only mildly impressed. The overall function is awesome. Build is great. But despite the reinforcement, the thing sways all over the place. Not stable at all. I don't even like having 2 bikes on it as they move all over the place the I'm driving.

There's something wrong with your installation of your 1up is swaying... the stability is probably the most impressive thing about them imo. Are you sure the pinch ball adjustment is tight? I put my bike in that thing and give it a shake and it shakes the whole truck.

My only beef with their racks is having to reach all the way under to pull the release when it's extended, but I just need to buy one of those things they have now that relocates it to the end of the rack to resolve that

Not much to mess up there… tighten… done… the base doesn’t move. The trays flex and rock and the bikes move around. They’re not going anywhere but I sure as shit check them constantly while driving and would never smash a dirt road with them.
Definitely something wrong... I've smashed dirt roads full gas and never had the slightest concern, I'd take a video and contact support.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 8:52 Quote
My 1up rack has been solid for years. Some flex, but not enough to concern me. I’ve had 4 DH bikes on it on a 9 hour drive and was solid to and from.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
got a Yakima that was given to me by a good friend down in Ga. when i picked up the Bill-Me-Weekly mobile that knocks back and forth a bit. But it's easy to use, drops down so the tailgate clears, and carries the bikes pretty well....it's seen triple digits.

got a beater Saris gifted to me by a co-worker years ago for the cop car that rattles like a mofo but gets the f*cking job done...

have another folding Saris strap-on for rental cars and the likes... Craigslist score for $10

you guys: first world probs.

me: "Sanford & Son" probs lol lol

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 10:57 Quote
I feel like I should complain about having to lift my bikes on to the top of my car and that I can’t put a hitch on my car… but I won’t. Because I love my car and driving SUVs sucks.

When my kids leave the house and I have room to park more cars, I will have hitch rack problems on cars that can haul ass off-road.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
adm750 wrote:
strap-on

lol

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
flgfish wrote:
driving SUVs sucks.

They are different, different physics, different levels of confidence and beasts that you need to get to know the limits off.

They'll never handle like a performance car but if you have a performance SUV and you manhandle that beast and figure out it's limits and how to toss it around like a rag doll it's as much fun, in my opinion, as a decent performing/handling car. Of course a sloppy rattling underpowered family orientated POS SUV isn't going to act the same way. Depends on the brand and model. I've always found that a "performance SUV" with a sport mode and a decent drivetrain mated to the sport mode and set up right is a whole lot of fun. It comes alive and has a better feel to the overall drive. Just more in tune with everything. Especially so for fun in winter. Ice, slow, slush, mixed dry and wet patches, powder snow, crunchy frozen snow. Playing around with each to test traction and limits. You could argue that a driver needs to be better in terms of understanding physics and confidence levels/experience handling an SUV than dropping into a low slung better handling high performance car. Mess up the physics going into corners in an SUV and you're more likely to get stung and your ass handed to you/parts of your vehicle hanging off and flapping in the breeze.

2 cents

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 15:55 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
2 cents

I have driven a bunch, I just don’t care for them very much. They take forever to stop and they are top heavy. My wife has had a succession of Tahoes, and they feel like piloting an aircraft carrier.

I like little things I can pitch around corners and generally drive like a knob.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 16:18 Quote
Best "SUV" I've had was a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT wagon. Best of both worlds, lotsa room, but slung low, AWD and plenty of boost! Hooptie we traded it in on is no slouch either! 2016 Ford Taurus SHO. It's big and heavy and has taken some getting used to in the twisties, but short of having a big, punchy V8, it's got some balls! Cool

Pics from trade-in day.



Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
flgfish wrote:
My wife has had a succession of Tahoes, and they feel like piloting an aircraft carrier.

Well, exactly. They’re not a “drivers” SUV.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 16:37 Quote
flgfish wrote:
gnarbar wrote:
2 cents

I have driven a bunch, I just don’t care for them very much. They take forever to stop and they are top heavy. My wife has had a succession of Tahoes, and they feel like piloting an aircraft carrier.

I like little things I can pitch around corners and generally drive like a knob.

Go take a trackhawk for a spin.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 16:51 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Axxe wrote:
Your assertions are overly dramatic and not rooted in facts.

mRNA vaccines performed exactly as expected - by people with a clue. Don’t mix them up with talking heads.

And I personally had a significant side effect. Fixed with a different vaccine.

Bullshit... there have been more VAERS reports for the covid vaccine than all vaccines in the prior history of the reporting system. That may have been "exactly as expected" but it sure as f*ck isn't acceptable

I would not compare this vaccination campaign with any other straight on just by number of reports. Anxiety factor alone would screw statistics up. Nocebo is an absolutely real effect. So was all the rest of bullshit that was going on

As far as if that was acceptable, I do not consider forced vaccinations acceptable.

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 16:52 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
Best "SUV" I've had was a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT wagon. Best of both worlds, lotsa room, but slung low, AWD and plenty of boost! Hooptie we traded it in on is no slouch either! 2016 Ford Taurus SHO. It's big and heavy and has taken some getting used to in the twisties, but short of having a big, punchy V8, it's got some balls! Cool

Pics from trade-in day.

My daughter stole my fun wagon!


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025917
Mobile Version of Website