Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
California did the same shit this summer... had a big presser about the move banning all fossil fuel cars for sale in the state starting in a few years and then the very next day had to ask people to not run their AC units because the grid couldn't take the load. I've never been more convinced that earth is just a low brow reality TV show for a larger intergalactic community.

Love our state bro !

LOL...I'm sure it's a great place to be from....

Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 19:53 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
adm750 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Ha! Polaroids

action packed box office smash:Sprays of Thunder; Ice age IX

Fixed it for ya!

lol !

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
astorms wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

Hoping for pictures when ya can, I don’t see snow , REAL snow hardly ever

Aaaand sleds doing sled things please lol

-21 , but ‘dry’ cold right?

Speaking of -21, Trudypants wants us to install heat pumps. Anyone here have experience? I have read briefly that efficiency drops way off after about -13c.

Thoughts?

I have one and only use the A/C due to costs...way cheaper to heat with gas than power. From my experience, heat pumps would be good for places with mild winter temps. You still need a furnace with your heat pump so not sure why the gov is so stoked on them right now. Mine came with the house but I quickly realized that the cost to run is too high.

Heat pumps are great until about -5 then they do not function so they have to switch to the backup heat source which in most cases is an electric furnace. Lots of people got a rude awakening last winter when it dipped to -15ish on the island when they got their electric bill. You can get a gas backup heat that is tied in like the electric and it automatically switches over but most people opt for the cheaper initial install.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
Soon as I get my fire place room back I'm going up to my brother's house and chopping a tree down. Using his splitter... running a fire all winter. Curious to see how much that'll bring down my heating bill. LOL!

So far telling everyone to put on a sweatshirt isn't working.

I'm walking around in shorts. My son is in his boxers. All the women are like... it's freezing in here.. meanwhile it's freaking near 70 in the house.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 12:40 Quote
dude...that's me. Shorts year round unless I'm in the office.

30F....windy....on the roof last weekend hanging Christmas lights....in shorts and a hoodie. Wink

-7F with -17F windchill out riding snow/ice covered trails last year...in shorts....and a hoodie....lol

Only problem ?? the water froze in my camelbak hose in just a few minutes. Guess I forgot to thought of that Facepalm

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 14:03 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Soon as I get my fire place room back I'm going up to my brother's house and chopping a tree down. Using his splitter... running a fire all winter. Curious to see how much that'll bring down my heating bill. LOL!

I'm walking around in shorts. My son is in his boxers. All the women are like... it's freezing in here.. meanwhile it's freaking near 70 in the house.

If you lived closer to me I "would" give you all the oak you need for this year. I've got between 2 & 3 cords that needs to leave.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 14:25 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:

lol That’s funny, because in my house my wife is always hot and I’m cold. So my heater hasn’t been turned on yet even though it’s usually 60-64 in the house all day. I’m always in layers of sweats in the house and she’s in shorts. I’d love it at 70* but it’s just not worth the headache fighting with her about it. Once it dips into the 50’s though and the heater is going on!

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 14:47 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:

lol That’s funny, because in my house my wife is always hot and I’m cold. So my heater hasn’t been turned on yet even though it’s usually 60-64 in the house all day. I’m always in layers of sweats in the house and she’s in shorts. I’d love it at 70* but it’s just not worth the headache fighting with her about it. Once it dips into the 50’s though and the heater is going on!

Every night I go to bed and turn it down to 67. Figure that saves me like $4 a night. LOL!

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 17:35 Quote
I set up a bed in my office, where I can crank up heat any way I like - multi zone heating in my house. And no one pulls blanket from me. Sleeping in 61 deg room with window cranked open? WTF. No.
At least she is open to heat it up in the evening for me to fulfill spousal duties.
I will get back to our bed once temperatures go back to normal.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 17:37 Quote
Office also has 75” oled hooked up to my gaming desktop. My son is envious as f*ck.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 18:31 Quote
We keep the house at 68° in the winter and 80° in the summer. Winter, I crack the window and wrap up. I sleep like a baby !

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 18:48 Quote
Our all brick house has radiant heat and no A/C. Downstairs really drives climate of the whole place. Best to keep t/stat a needle below 70 upstairs and at 65 down stairs as odd as that sounds during "normal" winter days. When it drops below zero for those long stretches, bump the downstairs up to 70 and the rest of the house will follow.

when it gets warmer during the day and the temps tanks at night...leave t/stats 70/65 and open windows to regulate comfort during the day. the temp swings outside can be so large that if you drop the thermostats down, the boiler burns alot more fuel to catch back up.

keeping the heat on cruise control saves a lot of money...

Copper tubing and the original old 60's Burnham gas boiler. I actually love that furnace. I've replaced the water pump a couple of times, sweated in a few new valves, and replaced the thermocouple once. it runs all year long unless I need to down it for maintenance...It's been a solid old unit.

EDIT: summer we keep the house between 65 and 90+ lol

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 21:24 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:
astorms wrote:

Speaking of -21, Trudypants wants us to install heat pumps. Anyone here have experience? I have read briefly that efficiency drops way off after about -13c.

Thoughts?

I have one and only use the A/C due to costs...way cheaper to heat with gas than power. From my experience, heat pumps would be good for places with mild winter temps. You still need a furnace with your heat pump so not sure why the gov is so stoked on them right now. Mine came with the house but I quickly realized that the cost to run is too high.

Heat pumps are great until about -5 then they do not function so they have to switch to the backup heat source which in most cases is an electric furnace. Lots of people got a rude awakening last winter when it dipped to -15ish on the island when they got their electric bill. You can get a gas backup heat that is tied in like the electric and it automatically switches over but most people opt for the cheaper initial install.

I priced out a heat pump with a gas furnace backup. $26k CAD required to keep up with Calgary weather. Whole lotta nope there.

Opposed to $8k furnace and $7k air conditioner. $11k buys a lotta natural gas.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 22:56 Quote
I am not a fabricator. But I am also too cheap/poor to pay a fab shop to make me things when I can't find what I need. Needed a power steering reservoir and nothing I found online worked the way I wanted it. And the options were all $300+ that I'd still have to modify. Wasn't going to pay a fab shop to make one.

Cut apart an old air tank and cut the neck off an old dead power steering pump and bubble gumed something together. Need a few fittings from the hydraulic shop in the morning and I'll get it all plumbed.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 23:06 Quote
Damn well done, pretty impressive results.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037085
Mobile Version of Website