Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 19:45 Quote
I've been back and forth between skis and boards for ever, different tools for different days.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 22:34 Quote
Always wanted to try teli’s for some reason they look carvy

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 0:04 Quote
I did not update my skis in quite a while, but got two new pairs for this season. 2023s Kastle FX106 Ti for fresh snow and dynastar M-pro 99 as daily driver. Shipped from Finland was less than half price delivered than anywhere locally, with sales tax Sorry local ski shops. 3 days to deliver by DHL.

Spent quite some times on snowboards, used to skateboard and feel comfortable on boards. Progressed quite well, but terrain I like to ski, skis are just better and safer. And I do enjoy backcountry and ski mountaineering too. And last ten years of skis and boots, they are just so much nicer to ride than back in the day. Started 45 years ago.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 0:04 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Just say no.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 2:20 Quote
Rented and tried teli"s once, free lesson, that was enough for me.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 5:12 Quote
Ha! Fair enough. Looks cool though. I tried skiing once.

Worked at a rental shop on a steep resort called Alpental. Primarily Black/Double Blacks and tons of out of bounds gold... We got really baked one night and said f*ck it let try skiing. “How hard could it be?”

Went to the top...(big mistake) literally almost broke my leg getting off the chair. Slammed into a snow wall... ok I got this. Pointed it down into a massive steep mogul field. It was about as frightening as could be. I couldn’t get the straight forward approach at all... about 3/4 way down the bowl I had to remove the skis and hike it down in order to avoid real injury...those boots... it was not like a movie.... I was not like Tom Cruise... shoulda hit the bunny slopes at Ski Acres first....

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 7:11 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Free your heels, free your mind.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 7:27 Quote
I was working at a local ski area in the early 90's. It had rained the day before then froze at night. The place was basically empty so someone decided we should take the rental snowboards out. It was carnage. That was the first and last time I've ever been on one. Part of that is the only really decent place up here for consistent powder is Powder King. To get to the better runs you need to take a t-bar then at the bottom it's a pretty flat run back to the chair. So I still just ski.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 7:44 Quote
i'm waiting for leverfingers to drop some bars on telemarking. that dude teli skis at whistler which is pretty goddam legit. his legs must be made out of the steel he keeps machining.

this might be the most 50 year old shit i ever said, but... i've had a lot of fun cross country skiing over the last ten years. we are lucky that xc skiing in alberta is overwhelmingly beautiful, and enough hills to scare your balls off, but yeah- affordbale peaceful beautiful and a great workout.

the national biathalon centre is in canmore- about 1 1/2 hours away- great place to ski and watching the shooters go hard is awesome. it's something i've really wanted to try but these people all look like unisexual avatar characters and are all about the fast fast as opposed to the pew pew, so i dunno that i'd fit in well.

for years i wished for a mtn bike biathalon competition to no avail. my version would be .22 pistol only and some of the targets would be shot at while on the bike, and you could shoot slower riders in the ass, i think it would be a hoot.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 7:50 Quote

slow snowy morning, good way to start.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
obee1 wrote:
i'm waiting for leverfingers to drop some bars on telemarking. that dude teli skis at whistler which is pretty goddam legit. his legs must be made out of the steel he keeps machining.

this might be the most 50 year old shit i ever said, but... i've had a lot of fun cross country skiing over the last ten years. we are lucky that xc skiing in alberta is overwhelmingly beautiful, and enough hills to scare your balls off, but yeah- affordbale peaceful beautiful and a great workout.

the national biathalon centre is in canmore- about 1 1/2 hours away- great place to ski and watching the shooters go hard is awesome. it's something i've really wanted to try but these people all look like unisexual avatar characters and are all about the fast fast as opposed to the pew pew, so i dunno that i'd fit in well.

for years i wished for a mtn bike biathalon competition to no avail. my version would be .22 pistol only and some of the targets would be shot at while on the bike, and you could shoot slower riders in the ass, i think it would be a hoot.

i have raised the mtb/biatholon idea on several occasions with the folks in Canmore. I have been given no serious responses, but I won't let this idea die. Would be super fun!

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
That would be fun as hell

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 9:28 Quote
the problem with trynna make mtn bike biathlon in canmore is that you would have to work with people from canmore. now, if the idea included wearing ugg boots and throwing a frisbee around, the town would be all over it. otherwise yeah, not gonna fly.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 10:24 Quote
obee1 wrote:

omg, I just laughed out loud at my desk over this... Razz

so mansplain this teli ski thing. telemark skis ??? enlighten me o' wise one...

and yeah, I liked XC skiing the few times I partake'd

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.049583
Mobile Version of Website