Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
Modern telemark ski boots are plastic and the binding interface is pivoting in front of the toes. That’s like doing lunges all day. I telemarked for a few years but I just did not have the fitness to keep up to it. I still have a pair of alpine ski boots so borrowing a pair from a friend is somewhat easy. I skate ski for fitness, pow surf when I can and snowboard when there is good snow.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 11:16 Quote
obee1 wrote:
the problem with trynna make mtn bike biathlon in canmore is that you would have to work with people from canmore. now, if the idea included wearing ugg boots and throwing a frisbee around, the town would be all over it. otherwise yeah, not gonna fly.
And drive a Tacoma with roof top tent, snorkel and and PIA fog lamps lol

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 12:49 Quote
I clipped my heels down a couple years ago. Where I used to break my legs, now my skis just pop off. I like it better this way. With the extra control and the residual leg strength I have stepped up a few levels.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
New crop of convertible bindings for backcountry are quite handy it seems. My backcountry setup is old school ultralight. I think I will take it up a notch next season with sturdier boots and Shift bindings.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 15:29 Quote
Axxe wrote:
New crop of convertible bindings for backcountry are quite handy it seems. My backcountry setup is old school ultralight. I think I will take it up a notch next season with sturdier boots and Shift bindings.

Touring gear for skiing is kinda like me and MTB. I really don't know anything that wasn't "good". I grew up with disk brakes, good suspension, and touring ski gear that I had no issue climbing in all day, but also would drop off cliffs and spin 360s and flips with.

Kinda spoiled I guess.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 15:40 Quote
I have about 120 days on my Shifts. I thought that they were a bit rinky dink when I bought them. But they have served me well. Those have, in fact, out-lived the skis they are mounted to and will be going on the new skis. When the rocks are covered a bit better.

The full lightweight tech bindings can sometimes not release and break your legs. Or spontaneously release on the up hill. I tried them and moved on. And lets not fool ourselves - I am in the resort 80% of the time.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 18:42 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
I have about 120 days on my Shifts. I thought that they were a bit rinky dink when I bought them. But they have served me well. Those have, in fact, out-lived the skis they are mounted to and will be going on the new skis. When the rocks are covered a bit better.

The full lightweight tech bindings can sometimes not release and break your legs. Or spontaneously release on the up hill. I tried them and moved on. And let’s not fool ourselves - I am in the resort 80% of the time.

My ATK14 are cranked up rather tight. I guess this model is not real old school. I don’t want to think about bad fall in it. But better than my old dynafits. But this is used in a rather don’t you f*cking fall terrain anyway. I also own Atomic Atlas, 115 underfoot, with those floppy Tyrolia frame bindings. Those do work, but heavy as shit. I did schlep in them for a few days of powder fun. I am thinking putting Shift on new Kastle, which will probably see three or five days if that hiking. But maybe it’s worth it. So far uniformly positive feedback that I hear.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 20:37 Quote
That did it. Ordered Armada Shift from snowcountry.eu. Should be here in three days. No VAT, no sales tax, 35% cheaper than REI. Will put on FX106 and recut skins from my 11 year old Atomic Atlas. Skins are rather new.
I think I had like only 35 days or so on Atlas. Turned out I don’t really need that form factor often, and those floppy frame binding are bitch to hike in. Will keep them for those couple days a year with real powder that we get. They surf.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 21:07 Quote
adm750 wrote:
obee1 wrote:
for years i wished for a mtn bike biathalon competition to no avail. my version would be .22 pistol only and some of the targets would be shot at while on the bike, and you could shoot slower riders in the ass, i think it would be a hoot.

omg, I just laughed out loud at my desk over this... Razz

so mansplain this teli ski thing. telemark skis ??? enlighten me o' wise one...

and yeah, I liked XC skiing the few times I partake'd

Yeah the mtn bike biathlon conversation is a good litmus test to see if someone is worth talking too. All I wanna hear in response to idea is " shut up and let's gets some pistols".

Telemark skiing is like watching someone participate in a difficult sport and purposefully make it way harder and more dangerouser. Lotsa deep lunges while flying down a f*cking hill with your heels frittering about.

Best thing about xc skiing is finding peace away from the horde and the fresh air is like a drug.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 21:30 Quote
I rode a couple times with my Glock 29 is a chest holster. Not very convenient at all.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 22:24 Quote
Axxe wrote:
I rode a couple times with my Glock 29 is a chest holster. Not very convenient at all.

10mm for bear I suppose?
Riding strapped does indeed suck.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 22:38 Quote
flgfish wrote:
Axxe wrote:

10mm for bear I suppose?
Riding strapped does indeed suck.

I never have bothered riding strapped. Few times I'd toss it in the pack. But generally was of the mindset that if an animal got me off my bike, it was my time.. And generally we don't have to worry too much about the 2 legged animals in the woods around here.

I want a new micro 9mm. Have an XDs and a XDm.. But I've never had a glock and a G43 could be the one that does it for me.

As fun as a 45 or even 10mm would be, I bought something like 10k rds of 9mm and 8k rds of 556 when I worked for CCI/Speer for well under $0.10 each.. So it's hard for me to justify any other calibers.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 22:43 Quote

Glock 43x is pretty great. 15 round mags from Shield arms, so equivalent to a 19 but in a thinner package.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 23:06 Quote
flgfish wrote:

Glock 43x is pretty great. 15 round mags from Shield arms, so equivalent to a 19 but in a thinner package.

I daily carry my XDS sub compact with a 9rd extended mag and I like it well enough. Just always been glock curious. And the G43 wasnt out when I bought my subcomact XDs.

I also have a rotating collection of Kershaw Leeks. I love them, but they have about a 2 year lifespan with me.. Going through the washer and snapping a tip off is the #1 causality, and I never get around to sending them back to have a new blade put on.

Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
Let's all remember Pearl Harbor today. I don't think it is spoken about enough. Has anyone here been to the USS Arizona monument ? It is on my bucket list.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.045343
Mobile Version of Website