Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP
Author Message
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 1:58 Quote
sorry if this is the wrong thread, noob question from someone thats been out of it for a couple years.

I have just gone to a full frame body (5D MkIII) and I am stoked on it, even just from the quick play around at sundown tonight the low light capabilities really impressed me, however, I mostly own EFS lenses, and only have an old 24-85mm f/3.5 and a Sigma 15mm f/2.8 that fit. I will be buying an extension tube as I love my 60mm f/2.8 macro, and definitely intend to keep using it, but I definitely think its time to invest in some quality lenses, what would be a good mid-long focal length lens to complement my current lenses?

definitely need a good 50mm at some point, but should I look at replacing the 24-85mm with something a little nicer?

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:13 Quote
These stairs by the Rhine in Düsseldorf looked neat


And a colour version of the bridge in Lisbon(had to print this one because it's pretty cool):


Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 10:23 Quote
That bridge photo is really nice tup

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 13:34 Quote
Anyone have any tips for shooting under shitty orange car park lights?

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 14:43 Quote
Adjust the wb in post?

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 16:57 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
sorry if this is the wrong thread, noob question from someone thats been out of it for a couple years.

I have just gone to a full frame body (5D MkIII) and I am stoked on it, even just from the quick play around at sundown tonight the low light capabilities really impressed me, however, I mostly own EFS lenses, and only have an old 24-85mm f/3.5 and a Sigma 15mm f/2.8 that fit. I will be buying an extension tube as I love my 60mm f/2.8 macro, and definitely intend to keep using it, but I definitely think its time to invest in some quality lenses, what would be a good mid-long focal length lens to complement my current lenses?

definitely need a good 50mm at some point, but should I look at replacing the 24-85mm with something a little nicer?
If you can afford it, pick up a 24-70 2.8. Even refurb/used, it's one of the best lenses made period. On the cheaper side, is the 24-70 f4, and the 24-105 f4 (I have this one). All are quality. If you want to go third party, I've heard good things about the Sigma line-up recently.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 17:04 Quote
bm-esh wrote:
Anyone have any tips for shooting under shitty orange car park lights?

If you must, your only hope is to convert to black and white.

Those lights only emit 3% of the visual spectrum. or something else ridiculously low.

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 0:30 Quote
wrote:
How do I link pictures from Flickr?

duckcrisps wrote:
duckcrisps wrote:
Read up a bit on composition and stuff, look at photos that are good. Read up on the decisive moment and that, these will all help you improve your photos. These ones are a bit boring compositionally and there is nothing that makes me want to really look at them. You gotta not frame your subject dead center in all the photos (this is not to say that a dead center subject can work in others but these it does not help at all).

Ok thankyou for the tips.
At least someone knows what 'constructive criticism' means.
Hey hey, you don't gotta be like that. If you ask for criticism in this thread you are going to get it and boy can these guys be picky, but down the road you'll learn to appreciate that the people on here were willing to point out every flaw and you'll be able to say you're a better photographer because of them. I know I am. I'm damn thankful for their honesty.

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 9:39 Quote
PBPphotog wrote:
How have you guys managed creative slumps if/when you've come up against them? I'm doing enough paid work right now to pay the bills, but it's just feeling like going through the motions. Any and all advice is welcomed graciously. size=m align=c][/P]

I know the feeling.

Honestly why I haven't picked up a camera for a while. Once I got paid to take photos, just killed it for me. Boiltheocean has a pretty good scene it looks like. Getting to shoot something living and exciting.

I was shooting triathlons and parties and trade shows, paid ok but was the most monotonous job I've ever had. Killed the creative side for me.

Busted out my AE-1 last night to take a few photos of some friends that were over for some beers. But the spark and interest is gone.

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 11:48 Quote
bonfire wrote:
PBPphotog wrote:
How have you guys managed creative slumps if/when you've come up against them? I'm doing enough paid work right now to pay the bills, but it's just feeling like going through the motions. Any and all advice is welcomed graciously. size=m align=c][/P]

I know the feeling.

Honestly why I haven't picked up a camera for a while. Once I got paid to take photos, just killed it for me. Boiltheocean has a pretty good scene it looks like. Getting to shoot something living and exciting.

Haha! I won't lie it's a lot of fun chasing motorsport around the world but the pay is shocking. You need several clients on the go every weekend and at that point you're so worried about getting the number of shots you forget everything else. So many people want to get into motorsport just to get in front of the safety fences and have that little extra access they are willing to give photos away very cheap. I go through slumps often, nothing you can really do about it. Just keep on clicking away.

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 12:39 Quote
boiltheocean wrote:
Just keep on clicking away.

That's the best advice. The process of photography is inspirational in itself. Just go shoot.

Go for a hike or something, turn off any distractions, and just do photography.

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 22:43 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
boiltheocean wrote:
Just keep on clicking away.

That's the best advice. The process of photography is inspirational in itself. Just go shoot.

Go for a hike or something, turn off any distractions, and just do photography.

Cheers guys + Bonfire.

I think this is definitely an issue, I haven't been getting out and about shooting. I think a lot of it is a lifestyle change, being a young'un out and about in the adult world, not focusing on college and social building but jobs and bills and balancing everything. Things are definitely settling so I'm really pushing on getting more out of my photography again, there's a defined void where it used to fill and maintain a large portion of my life.
bigquotesc'est la viva onward french revolution or somtin.

Here's a few from an article I just shot on a security tech firm in town. shhhh, don't tell i'm sharing~
snip cause huge

Posted: Mar 10, 2015 at 7:39 Quote
bm-esh wrote:
Anyone have any tips for shooting under shitty orange car park lights?

Overpower w/ flash & Full stop CTO. Then custom WB the lights. That should do it but you'll have to mess around a bit. They wreak havoc on skin tones but if its just your BG it's not too bad.

Posted: Mar 15, 2015 at 14:07 Quote
Last night at Red Bull Crashed Ice here in Edmonton:

Red Bull Crashed Ice

Posted: Mar 15, 2015 at 20:14 Quote
I could use y'alls eyes, if you feel like sparing them for a little. I've been editing down a huge amount of photos I took for a university here, and I've been staring at them so long that I can't tell up from down /good from bad. I'll post a few samples here, and link to a few more. I'd really appreciate to get any kind of post-processing feedback. Cheers to any and all. I was directed to go towards an ad-vertorial look (editorial but paid so make sure everyone looks good, smiling, etc.) and I'm worried I shot too natural. Hm.
potato quality b/c small export sizes
I've also noted my biggest weakness/tendency with regards to shooting. I'm terribly uncomfortable photographing faces. I shoot way too many backs of heads.
more here



 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027503
Mobile Version of Website