Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP
Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 21:15 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Yea, believe me I would love a quality compact camera, just don't have the funds. I make do with what I have I guess.

Here's some of the shots. Critique away if you would. The last shot is a view of Shasta from our camp.

Mount McLoughlin backcountry skiing.

Love these ones - I would spend some time editing them to perfection.

I miss my 7D. I was going through old photos not long ago and was really loving my old stuff from that body.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 21:49 Quote
Thanks, Ninja. I’ll see what I can do with them. My post processing game is definitely weak. For whatever reason when I changed my motherboard on my computer the brightness on my monitor went down, which makes editing a little more difficult.

Yea, mind posting up some stuff from that body? It’s obviously the best camera I’ve had. I started with a $50 Craigslist special 300D. Then an XT, T1i, SL1, and now the 7D. Doin my best to keep progressing.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 23:13 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Thanks, Ninja. I’ll see what I can do with them. My post processing game is definitely weak. For whatever reason when I changed my motherboard on my computer the brightness on my monitor went down, which makes editing a little more difficult.

Yea, mind posting up some stuff from that body? It’s obviously the best camera I’ve had. I started with a $50 Craigslist special 300D. Then an XT, T1i, SL1, and now the 7D. Doin my best to keep progressing.

I would, except my laptop died last week limiting me to my phone and what’s on it. I have a few old photos, but I hate uploading crap to PB because they don’t allow you to delete anything.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
That’s a bummer. You can delete images on PB. Gotta be in desktop mode, go to your photo albums, there’s an edit button toward the top, and you either drag and drop pictures into the trash, or select them and hit the trash, can’t remember which.

You guys ever do pictures for friends, like I just did, then give them the digital copies and they put a filter on or some extra edits? I know my pictures aren’t the shit, but I like my pictures the way I like them and it bugs me when they do it. But like, I gave them the pictures and it’s theirs to do with what they want I guess. Only gave them JPEGs though, keep the raws for myself.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Yea, believe me I would love a quality compact camera, just don't have the funds. I make do with what I have I guess.

Here's some of the shots. Critique away if you would. The last shot is a view of Shasta from our camp.

I know you weren't asking me for critique but here's a bit anyhow. In general the images are good but it's the framing that needs work. If you look at all the images almost every one is centered. Look up the rule of thirds and crop your images using that. It's not to say a subject can't be centered but in general it leaves your eye no where else to go.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
The critique away was meant for everyone, so by all means. And yea I know they’re all pretty center heavy. I cropped them to use the snow trails as much as possible. Framing when tracking like that is tough cause I’m more focused on getting my skier in focus than the framing, and when there’s either massive white space from the snow or blue from the sky I just try to get rid of anything that’s just plain, but I also leave a lot alone to be able to crop when it gets posted to something like Instagram.

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 17:22 Quote
Whenever I take ski or bike photos I always pre focus at the area I anticipate them to be and then burst mode when they get close to that spot. Most of the time I have a vague idea of the picture and framing I want beforehand. If I am wanting to take pictures of an entire run I normally pick some key points along the run and take photos when the skier hits those spots (ex. drop or jump, good background or deep turn) Looks like you had a sweet trip and got some good photos out of it!

photo

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
Alright solid, I work on that the next time I get out. That picture is great, love the bright colors of the skier, and through the trees definitely makes for an interesting fore and background. Trying to take pics on an open slope isn't the most interesting. I'm not an avid snow person, can count on two hands the amount of times I've gone snowboarding, so I'm not great at picking out cool features and lines that would be good to hit and I'll work on that. Might be getting out to a resort on the 26th, so will have another opportunity then to get some pics, this time with a group of boarders.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
StUone7 wrote:

]

Did you guys make it to the peak of Mount McLoughlin? I'd image the snow levels (coming down) over the weekend weren't any lower there than they were at Shasta and that had some funky wet snow bellow 7.5k.

Also my comment wasn't saying that a bigger aperture compress's, just that in the context of him taking stuff the 70-200 was the "fast glass"

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 6:13 Quote
We camped at about 6.5k and there the snow was breakable crust, I made it only 1k higher, my skins hadn’t been waxed so they were collecting snow on the bottom of them, yay for borrowed gear. Mikey and Paul made it to the ridge, one of the pics shows where the ridge kinda levels off and that’s about where. Any further past that and it was real chunky and icy and difficult to skin on. The snow coming down was pretty nice, not slushy, and the sun softened the crust just enough.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
Hey guys, looking for some input; thinking about upgrading my 7d to a 6d. MPB has them for $654, and the things I have for trade in for it are:
Canon 7d
Canon Sl1
Canon 15-85 usm
Canon 10-18 stm
Canon 55-250 stm
Canon 24 stm

I could trade all and end up with a little money gained, or just trade the 7d, or only keep the Sl1 and one or two of the lenses. If I traded everything the only EF lenses I have are my 70-200 and 50 stm. First lens I would buy for the 6d would be a 24-105 f/4. Curious if any of you have input on what to trade, or maybe to just wait and save.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
6D is terrific. It's what I'm currently using but I don't shoot a ton of sports with it. As long as you're good with only 1 cross type focus point go for it. The low light is amazing compared to the 7D. Personally I think you'll be disappointed with the AF after having the 7D. I would save for the 6D2 or a used 5D3.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 12:13 Quote
Yea I figured I’d lose out on action sports performance, but be gaining landscape performance which is what I’m leaning more toward right now. I rarely have people to photograph, and my opportunity for landscape shots are much higher, do a lot of stuff on my own. And right now if I were to keep my SL1 it does 1080p at 60fps, so I could switch to more video for action stuff if I’m not happy enough with the 6d. The other option is a 7d mk II in the same price range, but I still don’t know if it will be what I want for landscape shots.

One of the newer gens would be awesome, I just don’t know when I’d have funds for one plus more EF lenses. If I were to do that I’d likely switch to a mirror less full frame of some flavor.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 21:52 Quote
Check the fredmiranda buy & sell. They have used 5D3s going for under $1000.

6D is a great camera at high ISOs. I would say go for it as long as you don't plan on doing action photography and aren't concerned about weather sealing. If you care about either of those saving a bit more for a 5D3 would be a great option.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 1:53 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Hey guys, looking for some input; thinking about upgrading my 7d to a 6d. MPB has them for $654, and the things I have for trade in for it are:
Canon 7d
Canon Sl1
Canon 15-85 usm
Canon 10-18 stm
Canon 55-250 stm
Canon 24 stm

I could trade all and end up with a little money gained, or just trade the 7d, or only keep the Sl1 and one or two of the lenses. If I traded everything the only EF lenses I have are my 70-200 and 50 stm. First lens I would buy for the 6d would be a 24-105 f/4. Curious if any of you have input on what to trade, or maybe to just wait and save.

My anecdotal experience:

I had a 7D, which I really loved. I traded in the 7D for a 5D III & an E-M10 II + 2 cheap lenses as a beater / travel setup.

I didn’t end up really liking the 5D much more than the 7D- I think the full frame sensor wasn’t any benefit to me like I imagined it would be and how others / marketing made it sound.

I did, however, fall head over heels in love with Olympus Micro Four Thirds. I was scrolling through my camera roll one night and realized all my favourite and best shots were shot with the Olympus, not the 5D.

Fast forward to today and all my Canon gear is gone and replaced by Olympus Pro lenses and bodies.

Haven’t even questioned the trade once.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026505
Mobile Version of Website