Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 18:05 Quote
I'm looking at getting a 7d body for 300 aud is this a good price it has a shutter count of around 11000 and minimal scratches/damage

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 3:47 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Big fan of my 7D, but gonna sell/trade it in. Going the way of Olympus since it’s just that much easier to carry for my activities. Debating on the EM5 MkIII or the EM1 MkII right now.

I loved my 7D, but going mirrorless was too much of game changer to keep it around. (a real game changer, not a Pinkbike game changer)

The new EM5 III looks sweet.

That said, there are probably some slick deals in the EM1 II rolling out sooner than later.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 3:49 Quote
og03 wrote:
I'm looking at getting a 7d body for 300 aud is this a good price it has a shutter count of around 11000 and minimal scratches/damage

Looks like 300aud = 200usd, so yeah, that’s a good deal. 11k shutter count is nothing in the pro camera world.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
StUone7 wrote:
Big fan of my 7D, but gonna sell/trade it in. Going the way of Olympus since it’s just that much easier to carry for my activities. Debating on the EM5 MkIII or the EM1 MkII right now.

I loved my 7D, but going mirrorless was too much of game changer to keep it around. (a real game changer, not a Pinkbike game changer)

The new EM5 III looks sweet.

That said, there are probably some slick deals in the EM1 II rolling out sooner than later.

Yea the EM1 II is only a few hundred more new. You get higher FPS, but for the most part equal performance. The form factor of the EM5 III is a bit more enticing to me, though.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
My EM5 II has been by my side for quite some time now and seen a lot of love. It’s a perfect form factor for me, which has me personally leaning toward the EM5 III instead of the EM1 II.

Side note- the Sigma 56 1.4 has spent a lot of time on that body. It was basically glued there during my recent trips to World Champs in MSA, and trip to Pisgah N.C.

photo
photo
The Bike Farm - Pisgah Dupont NC
Danny Hart in the rock garden at the 2019 Mont Sainte Anne World Championship Final

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 11:42 Quote
Anybody here have any experience with the Fuji’s offerings?

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Anybody here have any experience with the Fuji’s offerings?

I thoroughly enjoy using my Fuji XE1 and Rokinion 12mm lens for landscape and nature photography.

Can't comment on AF though, but I'm happy with the weight and the UI (knobs and screens) of it.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 22:17 Quote
I briefly had a X-T1 and a X-E1. I really loved them for the form factor, handling, and the build quality, also the lenses are really well designed. The f/2.0 line of primes in particular offer a perfect balance of performance and handling in my mind. It was a tough decision to let them go, but I wasn't totally happy with the X-Trans sensor and the way it renders skin tones and fine details. It has gotten a bit better with the new generation sensors and increase in megapixels, but still noticeable if you look for it.

Here's one example. Fuji X-T1 with 35mm f/2 on the left Leica Monochrom with 50mm f/2 on the right. Untouched raw files at 100% magnification, Fuji switched to black & white for comparison. Not really a fair comparison, but notice the waxy details and weird artifacts in the out of focus areas on the Fuji file. It almost looks like a oil painting vs a photograph.

photo

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 2:36 Quote
I know there were a lot of similar complaints, specifically how Lightroom handled Fuji RAW files, but that was a few years ago- I’m not sure if things have improved since then.

My buddy has an XT3 that I’m going to try out. I love my EM5II, but I need a camera that can do a better job with moving subjects. I may go to the EM1II, but I figure I owe to myself go try some other systems first.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 1:46 Quote
Which 2.4ghz remote triggers would you recommend? I just want to control the shutter from a distance and IR is too unstable outside over long distances.

Thanks yo

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 2:29 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
Which 2.4ghz remote triggers would you recommend? I just want to control the shutter from a distance and IR is too unstable outside over long distances.

Thanks yo

For shutter release? I used to use a Pixel TW-283 with good results before I switched to a camera with wifi.

There are probably more modern versions available from Neewer & Pixel that work essentially the same.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 18:33 Quote
Any suggestions for an upgrade from the a6000 kit lens? I'm thinking the Sony 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 FE that I believe comes with some A7's.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 19:07 Quote
GravityCandy wrote:
Any suggestions for an upgrade from the a6000 kit lens? I'm thinking the Sony 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 FE that I believe comes with some A7's.

If you’re cool with slapping a full frame lens on a crop sensor, I would spring for the Tamron 28-75 2.8. A little extra reach, and LOT of extra light.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
If you're not 100% set on having a zoom lens, then the sigma 30mm f1.4 is a good and very affordable option. I enjoyed using that on my a6000

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 16:31 Quote
GravityCandy wrote:

Hey, I just wanted to say, nice photos! Great travel documentary, you do a great job of capturing the mood of the landscape. I'm envious. With that in mind- What is it about your current lens setup that is lacking? Based on your photos I'd say your two-zoom set is working fairly well for you?

If you do have money to burn, I would avoid the 28-70, and pretty much any other full-frame zoom. You'd be throwing away the pocket-ability of the compact kit lens, for a very awkward zoom range.

If you were hoping the extra 20mm would help you cut back to one lens for bike packing... I doubt it. You have a ton of photos taken close to, or less than 20mm- Why limit yourself to 28mm on the wide end? 28mm is pretty much a standard lens on APSC. That would be a deal breaker for me, based on your style of shooting.

I know the 28-70 is cheap, but unless you can get it for basically free... I don't think it would be a good purchase.

ninjatarian wrote:
If you’re cool with slapping a full frame lens on a crop sensor, I would spring for the Tamron 28-75 2.8. A little extra reach, and LOT of extra light.

Don't do this. That's $1200 CAD for a bigger, heavier lens that's worse in the dark.

F2.8 vs 3.5 is only a HALF stop of light, and 2.8 vs 5.6 is 2 stops. The image stabilization on the Sony kit lens should make up for 3-5 stops in low light. In terms of portraits and subject isolation, you will see nothing on the short end, and only a bit on the long end. Realistically, F2.8 isn't anything special for bokeh on APS-C, and I doubt the casual viewer would notice the difference without a side to side comparison. Pass.

pikls94 wrote:
If you're not 100% set on having a zoom lens, then the sigma 30mm f1.4 is a good and very affordable option. I enjoyed using that on my a6000

This. Any of the Sigma Contemporary 1.4 trio would be a great buy, and get you a genuinely different look than the kit lens, at a great price. F1.4 will make your subjects pop way more than f2.8 will, and you will actually get better low light performance.

https://www.henrys.com/93425-SIGMA-30MM-F1-4-DC-C-DN-SONY-E-LENS.aspx

If you really want a zoom, I'd try these two. Both have image stabilization and offer a decent range over the kit lens. One has power zoom and stays at a constant f4, the other is a bit more compact and has some extra telephoto range. These would be legit upgrades.

https://www.henrys.com/80890-SONY-SEL-18-105MM-F4-G-PZ-OSS-LENS.aspx

https://www.henrys.com/100161-SONY-SEL-18-135MM-F3-5-5-6-OSS-LENS.aspx

Lastly: here's what I'd do... Buy this and leave it on all the time. Instant pocketable travel camera.

https://www.henrys.com/76481-SONY-SEL-20MM-F2-8-LENS-NEX.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-bjyBRCcARIsAFboWg1B08MncTzLXAxF8W9QXxJhsaIPifLJZ9Mf6vXPGCBnSYt8dvUqSDIaAs4LEALw_wcB

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.071499
Mobile Version of Website