Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:01 Quote
i have a not sure exactly what year canon eos digital rebel xt, shooting with a canon efs 17-85 mm zoom lens. its all not in focus

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:28 Quote
pnwshreddin wrote:
i have a not sure exactly what year canon eos digital rebel xt, shooting with a canon efs 17-85 mm zoom lens. its all not in focus
Action shots can be hard without quick auto focus. When i used to shoot friends riding BMX regularly I would get somebody to stand where the action would be, I would focus on them, switch to manual focus and click once they where in frame. Modern Af system do help but there are ways arround it. I am far from great and my advice should not be taken as gospel, its just what worked for me.

Edit: I've been trying to get out of the house once a week somewhere free of people to take pictures in an attempt to keep myself sane. Here are a few i have taken in the last week, crit welcome.

None
None
None

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
Wow super cool love the blurred leading line in the first one the clouds do a good job filling the empty space in the second one and the third is just all around cool. Thanks for the advice helps a lot

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 1:08 Quote
Digging the big scenery. These are some landscapes I had on my phone- also a good example of cost not being everything.

5D III & 24-105 L = $4,498

EM5 II & Rokinon 7.5mm = $1,498
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I kinda of want to try the Topaz Labs software on this and see how clean it can make it. 16mp + fisheye isn’t the best combo for detail.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 7:13 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
1st shot: pretty much perfect to my eyes, not much I’d change if anything.

2nd shot: I like what you did with the composition, it feels well balanced. I think this also could have been really nice if shot using a longer lens with your friend centered in the frame, emphasizing that detail. I know that space and weight are major concerns while climbing. Are you only shooting with the 16mm currently? Have you considered squeezing a 50mm f/2 into your kit? I think it would pair really well with the 16mm, not take up too much extra space, and it would help to give you more options compositionally. I’d try to bring the white point down a bit in the snow off to the left peak because it’s a bit too distracting and takes the viewers eye away from the human detail. I’d probably pull up a gradient in Lightroom following the line of the shadow on that peak. I’d be happy to share an example if you want to PM me a link to the raw file.

3rd shot: cool concept, I like the forest tones, and the contrast between the warm and cool tones, but I’d also love to see this image in monochrome! I think that bit of further abstraction would add a lot to the shot, especially if it was shown in a body of work alongside alpine images. I’d be happy to show you my interpretation of this one as well.

Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate the nice comments as I have always really liked your work.

Regarding the second shot, no not really. When winter climbing it’s cold, and time constrained. Changing lenses isn’t really an option in my mind, and a zoom lens is bulkier so I’m more likely to stuff the unit in my bag when the climbing gets hard.

What you also can’t see is the 60mph winds and razor sharp spindrift I was battling whilst getting the shot. I do totally agree though and wish he hadn’t have been in such a rush to get down, or he would have been closer and less lost in the image.

I would be really interested to see what you did with the last shot, as I didn’t manage to get the shot I really wanted, but was struggling with maintaining WiFi signal from camera to phone (triggering method) as well as being a bit nervous soloing much higher up the tree. Ultimately I gave up before achieving the image I had in my head

I’m not bothering to shoot raw at the moment either as I don’t have access to a computer so can’t do anything with them. I’m just trying to flatten my JPEG settings to give myself more wiggle room in post. I will put the originals on Flickr and PM you a link though

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Loving that second shot ninja!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
A few from the past couple of months:

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
In regards to the discussion about using film to shoot mountain biking... I just wanted to chime in and say there aren't many MTB photos out there that couldn't be shot on film with the right setup and a skilled photographer. At least well enough to fool your average viewer.

Shooting a good 35mm SLR with modern glass gives you about something like a 24mp image, depending on the fidelity of your scanning process, and the quality of your film. Go crazy and correct the aberrations digitally if you want to be a psycho.

If anyone here has used say, a decent prosumer body, you know seamless the focus and metering can be. Sure, you get fewer AF points, but they earn their keep. I have an F100, and I kid you not- it focuses faster than most early 2010s prosumer Nikon DSLRS. The accuracy was certainly no worse than my D7000. Obviously things have moved on since then, but not as much as you'd think.

You just can't chimp with film, so you've gotta be confident in your exposure calculations, or your meter. The spray and pray method of capturing action is still fully possible... It's just financially ruinous. So you've gotta plan your shots and think ahead. Shooting in a dark forest also isn't a possibility, unless you can carefully harness natural pockets of light, or use flash. So no different than digital really.

Basically the biggest thing with film- there isn't nearly as much tolerance for half assing it. You need good light. Shitty digital action photos look downright terrible on film... Good photos look about the same. That's actually not the worst thing ever though.

Here's a few film photos of cycling that caught my eye on a google search.

http://www.espn.com/sports/endurance/photos/gallery/_/id/9455033/image/8/mountain-man-historical-look-tour-de-france#

Bike Magazine.de

Check out Fat Tire Fotos- lots of great vintage MTB coverage, shot mostly in the days when film reigned supreme. Despite the low upload resolution, you get a pretty good taste for the consistency of focus and exposure, documenting action with an SLR.

These are some scans from a Pinkbike article shot in Scotland on a point and shoot with Velvia 50 slide film.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
singlespeedtoday wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate the nice comments as I have always really liked your work.

Regarding the second shot, no not really. When winter climbing it’s cold, and time constrained. Changing lenses isn’t really an option in my mind, and a zoom lens is bulkier so I’m more likely to stuff the unit in my bag when the climbing gets hard.

What you also can’t see is the 60mph winds and razor sharp spindrift I was battling whilst getting the shot. I do totally agree though and wish he hadn’t have been in such a rush to get down, or he would have been closer and less lost in the image.

I would be really interested to see what you did with the last shot, as I didn’t manage to get the shot I really wanted, but was struggling with maintaining WiFi signal from camera to phone (triggering method) as well as being a bit nervous soloing much higher up the tree. Ultimately I gave up before achieving the image I had in my head

I’m not bothering to shoot raw at the moment either as I don’t have access to a computer so can’t do anything with them. I’m just trying to flatten my JPEG settings to give myself more wiggle room in post. I will put the originals on Flickr and PM you a link though

Here’s my two edits. Not sure that I improved on them much, if at all, but it’s always fun to interpret other people’s images.

(Alternate Square Crop)

In the first image, I was basically just trying to use the gradient tool in Lightroom in various ways to help draw the viewers eye from the footprints in the foreground out to the guy in the yellow jacket. Since the snow was a touch overexposed in areas, I used a combination of the burn tool and curves in Lightroom to help bring those values down and introduce a bit of warmth to the highlights.

In the second image, I thought that converting it to monochrome would help in some way, but after messing around with it for a while, I think I like your original version best! One trick I pulled out on this edit was to use a brush to dodge around in the tones of the trees to the upper left, just to help even out the light fall off from the flash and make it look a bit more like natural light filtering down through the forest.

Awesome stuff in here! Keep up the great work guys!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 21:37 Quote
alreadyupsidedown wrote:
In regards to the discussion about using film to shoot mountain biking...

Totally agree, great examples! The basic principles of photography have always been the same. I think anyone who is serious about learning all they can about photography should take the time to experience shooting film. The darkroom is a beautiful thing.

Hopefully you will receive your pack of prints from me one of these days... The past six months has honestly been a bit of a sleep deprived blur, but I just moved my home office and found a small stack of work with your name on it from September.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 2:57 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
singlespeedtoday wrote:

Here’s my two edits. Not sure that I improved on them much, if at all, but it’s always fun to interpret other people’s images.

(Alternate Square Crop)

In the first image, I was basically just trying to use the gradient tool in Lightroom in various ways to help draw the viewers eye from the footprints in the foreground out to the guy in the yellow jacket. Since the snow was a touch overexposed in areas, I used a combination of the burn tool and curves in Lightroom to help bring those values down and introduce a bit of warmth to the highlights.

In the second image, I thought that converting it to monochrome would help in some way, but after messing around with it for a while, I think I like your original version best! One trick I pulled out on this edit was to use a brush to dodge around in the tones of the trees to the upper left, just to help even out the light fall off from the flash and make it look a bit more like natural light filtering down through the forest.

Awesome stuff in here! Keep up the great work guys!

Thanks for the alternative edits. It’s actually a really nice idea to take a different approach to the same image

I really like what you did with the first shot. You got a lot more texture out of the snow than I managed to, and I much prefer the colouring in the sky.

I think I looked at it a bit long during my edit, as I liked the lines made by the shadows, and when I pulled the hi-lights down I felt like I lost the definition in the contrast. Looking at your edit I can see that wasn’t the case, and I think I over did it a bit.

I do really like the monochrome. For some reason I have never managed to take a photo I prefer in monochrome. I have tried, but the colours always seem to add something. Maybe I just like colour?

I think I’m going to have to start paying for Lightroom for iPad to give myself some more versatility with what I can do past the basics.

Thanks again, and as expected I really like your take on both images

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
I seem to have a bit of a habit of leaving the camera in the bag instead of actually getting it out. (If anyone has a decent system for climbing with a camera please do share)

Have you looked at any of the Cotton carrier stuff?

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
thomas-b wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
I seem to have a bit of a habit of leaving the camera in the bag instead of actually getting it out. (If anyone has a decent system for climbing with a camera please do share)

Have you looked at any of the Cotton carrier stuff?

I had not, the twist and lock looks like a nice idea. Unfortunately it also seems too bulky to put on the waste belt on a harness.

All the other solutions are neat, but don’t allow for easily taking off and adding layers. That’s the main issue with my current system.

Probably worth mentioning I’m using a holster style pouch for the camera on a separate belt so I can slide it out the way if it’s obstructive, with a tether attached to my harness.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 16:43 Quote
I'm pretty much stuck inside most of the time so i tried my best to do something with what i have as my setup. If anyone feels like it, feedback is much appreciated but I know, I suck so don't bother if you do not want to.Smile Confused
corona virus stay at home order got me kinda bored so i decided to see what i can do just in my house
corona virus stay at home order got me kinda bored so i decided to see what i can do just in my house

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020155
Mobile Version of Website