Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Photographers of Pinkbike-READ THE OP
Posted: May 24, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
I'm new to these parts of the forums, but am going to start participating! Unfortunately, I haven't shot much MTB, but because of my new job, I'll likely have a lot more to shoot and share soon. About to take some time to browse this thread... already have seen a ton of good stuff!

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
@PJJ205 This picture is amazing, are you using any artificial light/flash for this?

photo
[/Quote]

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
New to the Forum, I am new to photography. Shooting with a Sony a6400 mostly just using a 35mm lens because its so compact and i can just toss it in my hip pack. I would love some criticism, pointers, and maybe some lens suggestions to help better my shooting/editing!

I am located in the PNW always shooting in low light forest. I have also been curious on using some sort of portable flash, or light. Any suggestions?

Follow me on IG: (n_xeros) and we can discuss on/off the Forum! Would love to meet up and shoot with people too if you are in the Washington/ Oregon area!

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
My 2019 Devinci Spartan
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
I'm a professional photo retoucher. If anybody looking for one, just shoot me a message

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
Nxeros11 wrote:
@PJJ205 This picture is amazing, are you using any artificial light/flash for this?

Yeah, I used two Paul C. Buff Einstein 640s for this. You can see the light from one of them just over the big boulder behind the rider. I thought about removing it when I was editing but then said screw it and just left it there because I didn't think I'd even use the photo anywhere haha

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 22:51 Quote
Strobes are definitely the way to go if you’re trying to balance daylight with flash and have the flexibility to use light modifiers. Something like the Godox AD200 might be a good option to get you started. They’re pretty affordable, and very compact! It would probably be plenty of power in a PNW forest on a typical overcast day with a reasonably sized light modifier attached, not too sure about other situations though.

I have a nice older Elinchrom Ranger kit with high speed flash heads that I’d be willing to let you try out for a day if you’re ever up in the Seattle area. Only downside is the battery packs are heavy as hell, they also have a sometimes painfully slow recycle time. Plenty of power though at 400w/s, and reasonably packable. I have a deep reflective umbrella with diffuser and a deep rotalux octabox.

IG @somethingaboutlight and @ifdogsrunfree

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
+1 for the Godox AD200. Godox stuff is absolutely great for the money. I never had much luck with Yongnuo. I really want an AD400 to add to the arsenal.

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
@pjj205 @ninjatarian

Thank you for the feed back! I will have to do some more research on those products and how to use them before I dive in! I have never used a flash so ill be deep in YouTube checking it all out LOL! I really appreciate it.
@singlespeedtoday once I have a better understanding I might take you up on that offer and check out that Elinchrom Ranger kit when I visit Seattle.

Thank you!

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
Lighting is a whole other world, I dabble in it a little bit, but I definitely don’t consider myself an expert! I really like what you’re doing with natural night.

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
PJJ205 wrote:
Nxeros11 wrote:

Yeah, I used two Paul C. Buff Einstein 640s for this. You can see the light from one of them just over the big boulder behind the rider. I thought about removing it when I was editing but then said screw it and just left it there because I didn't think I'd even use the photo anywhere haha

huh I just thought it was a sun flare

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 12:23 Quote
I don't do much photographing these days, concentrating on retouching photos for clients, but I've been into photography for over 10 years prior and even had a period as a pro. Anyway, this is something I can recommend to anyone learning lighting. This book is like a photo lighting bible. I have Fourth Edition at home. There is lots of theory there, not all maybe applicable to photographing riders outdoor, but well worth knowing anyway. Light is light and it behaves the same indoor and outdoor.

Here is the book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Science-Magic-Introduction-Photographic/dp/0415719402/ref=sr_1_1?crid=180WE5F5N3CUQ&dchild=1&keywords=light+science+and+magic&qid=1592421410&sprefix=light+sci%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-1

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 20:38 Quote
I have a hard time getting myself to drop that much for a flash. But I can clearly see the benefit of it in a lot of shots and with the forests where I ride a lot the uneven lighting can be a bitch.

But today just shipped off my old gear as trade bait for an EM-5 III, should come out with $36 extra. Picked up the 12-100 f4 a little while ago, kept the 12-40 f2.8 for now, and have a Panasonic 20mm f1.7. Will eventually get a true tele but pretty happy with the setup I’m gonna have.

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
As stated above, OCF is almost its own hobby. There is as much to know about that as there is non flash photography in general. It’s expensive, but gives you capabilities that are otherwise not even possible. You can’t fake OCF tricks with a smart phone the way you can fake shallow DOF and other looks associated with high end cameras (at least not yet)

Some say manual mode is what separates the novices from the experts, but to me it’s OCF.

Not mine, obviously:

Banger shot how to

Views: 4,460    Faves: 30    Comments: 1

Posted: Jun 21, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
Hi personnel, thinking of getting a new (used probably) camera as I'm not using my dslr (7d + numerous lenses) much currently, mainly due to the bulk factor. Was wondering what sort of thing people would recommend, would like something that does decent video, has auto focus that's quick enough for some biking action. Looking at the cheaper end of the market however.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
I’m enjoying my Fiji mirrorless... but the Sony and Olympus offerings seem far more popular.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.043271
Mobile Version of Website