Amateur Videographer Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Amateur Videographer Group
Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 21:15 Quote
youtube + polorizer = oh so that's how they work

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 2:45 Quote
When watching videos I always see a certain cut between shots and I was wondering how it was done. I would've searched for a how-to on youtube, but I don't know what this transition is called.
It looks like there is some lense flare, and the whole screen goes yellow/orange, and then it has changed to the next clip. It works the best with sunny/daytime edits and I was wondering how you do it?

Thanks heaps

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 3:02 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
JakeTheRake wrote:
Hey guys, I have a quick question if you don't mind.

My parents recently dug out a whole box full of tapes that they recorded on their trip round Australia with only a motorbike, a camera and a tent back in 1982.
This all sounds great, but the trip took them a whole year and there is a total of 12 hours of tape to go through. What i'm thinking of doing is importing and editing it tape by tape, then putting all the edited files together at the end. That way I won't end up with 12 hours of footage on my coputer...
I was just wondering in what format I should export each of the edited versions of the tape. It has to be exported a first time, then re-imported into FCP and then re-exported for burning to dvd and Vimeo.. What format would i need to use so that i can do all of this without loosing loads of quality ?
Thanks
-Jake

your parents in a tent with a camera... be careful what you watch...

also if you dont export, and you just edit, then delete the excess you cut off, and keep each as a seperate project, then merge them all togeather, would that work?

I hope I don't see any of that stuff, my mum isn't exactly a hot milf...

I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but I guess that could work fine, thanks ! Smile

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 3:26 Quote
p3dirtjumpernz wrote:
When watching videos I always see a certain cut between shots and I was wondering how it was done. I would've searched for a how-to on youtube, but I don't know what this transition is called.
It looks like there is some lense flare, and the whole screen goes yellow/orange, and then it has changed to the next clip. It works the best with sunny/daytime edits and I was wondering how you do it?

Thanks heaps

not film burns is it?

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 4:02 Quote
StuHaight wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
JakeTheRake wrote:

My parents recently dug out a whole box full of tapes that they recorded on their trip round Australia with only a motorbike, a camera and a tent back in 1982.
This all sounds great, but the trip took them a whole year and there is a total of 12 hours of tape to go through. What i'm thinking of doing is importing and editing it tape by tape, then putting all the edited files together at the end. That way I won't end up with 12 hours of footage on my coputer...
I was just wondering in what format I should export each of the edited versions of the tape. It has to be exported a first time, then re-imported into FCP and then re-exported for burning to dvd and Vimeo.. What format would i need to use so that i can do all of this without loosing loads of quality ?
Thanks
-Jake

also if you dont export, and you just edit, then delete the excess you cut off, and keep each as a seperate project, then merge them all togeather, would that work?

Tape from the 90's is going to be SD. 12hrs of DV (25mbps, 2.5MB/second) is 147GB of space. In a way, it's not that much, a cheep 250GB USB 2.0 drive can be pretty cheep, and in a way, more worth it than trying to re-compress it to a smaller size, after having spent all the time to digitize, just to try and fit it to your local drive.

Best part is when you're done, in a way, you have an external drive haha. In a way.

I'm sending the tapes off to be digitized, cleaned and and adjusted. They send them back to you on a drive so in a way that will all be done for me (if i've understood what you mean). I didn't think of the file size but you're right it's obviously going to be much smaller than modern HD video files. Thanks again Smile

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 4:04 Quote
JaseZ wrote:
p3dirtjumpernz wrote:

Thanks heaps

not film burns is it?

I've always thought they were called light leaks...Try looking it up under that name.

But the ones in that video, light leak or film burn, were pretty awesome. Thanks for that !

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 4:25 Quote
Light Leaks?

I've called them Hipster lens farts.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 9:38 Quote
StuHaight wrote:
Light Leaks?

I call them annoying ways for substandard film wannabes to add interest to their ridiculous videos.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 10:06 Quote
ShastaOutdoorMedia wrote:
StuHaight wrote:
Light Leaks?

I call them annoying ways for substandard film wannabes to add interest to their ridiculous videos.

Wait... They don't get you VODs??

f*ck.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 10:41 Quote
Film burns are an effective means of adding a vintage look to a video. Based on context, they can be a great addition. Many clients are fond of the vintage look, and would enjoy having such transitions in their video.

Did you hear that?

Clients?

You wouldnt know about those Shasta.

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 10:43 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Film burns are an effective means of adding a vintage look to a video. Based on context, they can be a great addition. Many clients are fond of the vintage look, and would enjoy having such transitions in their video.

Did you hear that?

Clients?

oohhh buuuuuurn

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 10:47 Quote
david-hill wrote:
Muttley wrote:

Did you hear that?

Clients?

oohhh buuuuuurn

a FILM burrrrrrrn

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 10:53 Quote
JakeTheRake wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
JakeTheRake wrote:

Thanks
-Jake

I hope I don't see any of that stuff, my mum isn't exactly a hot milf...

I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but I guess that could work fine, thanks ! Smile

regardless of weather or not she is a ilf its your own mum and you dont want to see that shit...

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 11:02 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://whatafy.com/storage//2012/04/2012/04/29/how-to-treat-burns-correctly/Treating-burns.jpg

Posted: Nov 25, 2012 at 11:29 Quote
Muttley wrote:

Did you hear that?

Clients?

when people ask me to use them i refuse...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015552
Mobile Version of Website