Amateur Videographer Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Amateur Videographer Group
Posted: Dec 31, 2012 at 21:29 Quote
StuHaight wrote:
epavichthesavage wrote:
I've been looking at getting a sony action cam (HDR-AS15) over a Gopro black.
Anyone here have any experience with a Sony AC? The level of quality, sharpness and white balance all look much better to me over the gopro. Not to mention the price.

Quick youtube and googling sample videos shows that researching your questions are really easy.

jk No I don't have experience with either.

In the end it's all the friggin same, it's a friggin fisheye helmet cam. An apple is an apple. A helmet cam is a helmet cam.

edit:

The sony's image stablizer is kicking ass in that department

double edit:
really really kicking ass

oh I know but I find personal experiences from people who also mountain bike tend to be more relevant and worth while.
But the biggest selling feature is the stabilizer. Super duper handy

Posted: Dec 31, 2012 at 21:49 Quote
epavichthesavage wrote:
StuHaight wrote:
epavichthesavage wrote:
I've been looking at getting a sony action cam (HDR-AS15) over a Gopro black.
Anyone here have any experience with a Sony AC? The level of quality, sharpness and white balance all look much better to me over the gopro. Not to mention the price.

Quick youtube and googling sample videos shows that researching your questions are really easy.

In the end it's all the friggin same, it's a friggin fisheye helmet cam. An apple is an apple. A helmet cam is a helmet cam.

edit:

double edit:

oh I know but I find personal experiences from people who also mountain bike tend to be more relevant and worth while.

Can you get the same IS by using a digital stabilizer in post? Try it.

This might be heresy, but after seeing the specs on that Sony I'm tempted to get it over a Hero 3 BE. Not only is it cheaper, but it basically outclasses the BE in everything. Sony's Exmor sensors (especially in low light, a problem area for GoPros no matter what they say) are pretty damn good for their competition class.

Because do you really think that 4k out of a GoPro will be worth two shits? Even if it was...no one has 4k monitors upon which they watch your shitty helmet-cam internet videos.

Posted: Dec 31, 2012 at 23:42 Quote
ShastaOutdoorMedia wrote:
epavichthesavage wrote:
StuHaight wrote:

edit:

double edit:

Can you get the same IS by using a digital stabilizer in post? Try it.

This might be heresy, but after seeing the specs on that Sony I'm tempted to get it over a Hero 3 BE. Not only is it cheaper, but it basically outclasses the BE in everything. Sony's Exmor sensors (especially in low light, a problem area for GoPros no matter what they say) are pretty damn good for their competition class.

Because do you really think that 4k out of a GoPro will be worth two shits? Even if it was...no one has 4k monitors upon which they watch your shitty helmet-cam internet videos.

Naw it's not heresy. Good competition from others forces the rest to innovate.
Well I have been considering it for a while now. The price is nice that's for sure. Only downside...lack of mounts.
Big fan of the chesty mount. In that regard it's very close to the contour except it's a SONY so it's better by default.
huehue fanboy over here.

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 at 5:10 Quote
There is actually an even better test between the Contour+2, GoPro Hero 3 Black, Hero 2 and Sony Action Cam.

I think in terms of image quality the Hero 3 has easily the best rendition of detail and the least distortion at the outer edges of the frame. I think the white balance is slightly off, but because it is a Hero 3, all of the settings like this can be changed manually, removing the issue to an extent. The low light ability of the Hero 3 is amazing, but comes at a cost - horrible noise! I personally think the other cameras have a nicer looking low light ability. Bang for buck, the Hero 3 is also the best in my opinion. The Action Cam stacks up nicely, but the image sharpness lacks, and it is awfully saturated. The Contour has a nice enough image, but it is very contrasty and isn't great at low light. Despite a big feature of the Hero 3 being '4k ability', I think people should actually take note more, to the useable 2k setting, meaning a nice crisp image when downscaled, and can be used for IS in post without the loss of masses of resolution in comparison to HD...

The video below should provide a decent comparison.

https://vimeo.com/53166657

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 at 12:05 Quote
domino0 wrote:
There is actually an even better test between the Contour+2, GoPro Hero 3 Black, Hero 2 and Sony Action Cam.

I think in terms of image quality the Hero 3 has easily the best rendition of detail and the least distortion at the outer edges of the frame. I think the white balance is slightly off, but because it is a Hero 3, all of the settings like this can be changed manually, removing the issue to an extent. The low light ability of the Hero 3 is amazing, but comes at a cost - horrible noise! I personally think the other cameras have a nicer looking low light ability. Bang for buck, the Hero 3 is also the best in my opinion. The Action Cam stacks up nicely, but the image sharpness lacks, and it is awfully saturated. The Contour has a nice enough image, but it is very contrasty and isn't great at low light. Despite a big feature of the Hero 3 being '4k ability', I think people should actually take note more, to the useable 2k setting, meaning a nice crisp image when downscaled, and can be used for IS in post without the loss of masses of resolution in comparison to HD...

So then the low-light ability is bad. I mean, if you just want to see what's happening it might work, but if you want it to look good then it doesn't. Anyone can go into post and bump the gain.

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 at 13:04 Quote
david-hill wrote:
JaseZ wrote:
david-hill wrote:
I am literally riding my bike tomorrow, so metal

\m/ Emo

That's good though! Riding bikes is awesome

i rode bikes in a f*cking metallica tshirt cos i'm that metal!!!

but seriously, first time in 6 months, mega stoked i finally fixed my bike and got round to using it.

also on a videographer note, i'm collaborating with some post-production company owner friends from london on a film of our bc trip next year GOING TO HAVE A FILM SICK YOOOOO

metal.

Geebeebeegeebeebeegee

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 at 14:07 Quote
gee-milner wrote:

Geebeebeegeebeebeegee

yea boiiii well metal

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 at 14:30 Quote
ShastaOutdoorMedia wrote:
domino0 wrote:

It is good in the sense that it can portray such low light capability, but its handling of it at the EXTREMES is far from good. It still has the best general low light ability...

So then the low-light ability is bad. I mean, if you just want to see what's happening it might work, but if you want it to look good then it doesn't. Anyone can go into post and bump the gain.

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 5:37 Quote
Hey guys, quick question here. I'm working on a really long project, and other smaller projects at the same time in FCPX. I've run out of storage space on my computer. If I export a project to XML, can i then delete the original files or that project from my event library, creating space for the other projects, but then still be able to import the XML file and add stuff to it when needed?

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 7:25 Quote
JakeTheRake wrote:
Hey guys, quick question here. I'm working on a really long project, and other smaller projects at the same time in FCPX. I've run out of storage space on my computer. If I export a project to XML, can i then delete the original files or that project from my event library, creating space for the other projects, but then still be able to import the XML file and add stuff to it when needed?

Guess not...oops.

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 11:13 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561203_405259362847622_35166752_n.jpg
great facebook page called Grip Rigs with various albums of different types of setups, including "Bicycle,Scooter & wheelchair Rigs"

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 11:44 Quote
ha
Ellsworth. Haven't seen one of those in years

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 12:11 Quote
StuHaight wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561203_405259362847622_35166752_n.jpg
great facebook page called Grip Rigs with various albums of different types of setups, including "Bicycle,Scooter & wheelchair Rigs"

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://images.electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/oh-god-why.jpg

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 12:21 Quote
epavichthesavage wrote:
ha
Ellsworth. Haven't seen one of those in years

And how is it under that rock

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 at 12:22 Quote
haha ellsworth is well alive and kickin

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015745
Mobile Version of Website