Amateur Videographer Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Amateur Videographer Group
Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 9:39 Quote
Just got my media pass for Crankworx! This should be fun!

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 10:18 Quote
thrice wrote:
So, this is the closest I've ever been to a World Cup event in my life so I'm excited. I applied for a media pass for Windham this saturday and got one.

Its going to be my first time ever at an event like this and I could use some pointers. If anyone can share their experiences. I don't even know what a media pass entails really, I guess maybe you have access to designated media spots in order to take a picture more easily? Any do's and don'ts in general?

Congrats man! Should be a lot of fun. I've filmed a couple XC races myself and I got accepted for media at Crankworx Whistler. I'd say there are a couple things you should look out for: getting hit by bikes, and getting too many close up shots. You'll probably be right next to the trail they're riding the entire time, so make sure you're not just getting shots of the bikes, but also wide shots showing the scenery and terrain. Have fun, man!

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 10:22 Quote
vincesmith wrote:
Just got my media pass for Crankworx! This should be fun!

See you there, mate.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 10:58 Quote
alecilstrupmedia wrote:
thrice wrote:
So, this is the closest I've ever been to a World Cup event in my life so I'm excited. I applied for a media pass for Windham this saturday and got one.

Its going to be my first time ever at an event like this and I could use some pointers. If anyone can share their experiences. I don't even know what a media pass entails really, I guess maybe you have access to designated media spots in order to take a picture more easily? Any do's and don'ts in general?

Congrats man! Should be a lot of fun. I've filmed a couple XC races myself and I got accepted for media at Crankworx Whistler. I'd say there are a couple things you should look out for: getting hit by bikes, and getting too many close up shots. You'll probably be right next to the trail they're riding the entire time, so make sure you're not just getting shots of the bikes, but also wide shots showing the scenery and terrain. Have fun, man!

Much appreciated, I will definetly try to get some variety, hope I can. If all goes wrong I will just commandeere a downed rider's bike to the bottom.

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 11:01 Quote
thrice wrote:
alecilstrupmedia wrote:
thrice wrote:

Much appreciated, I will definetly try to get some variety, hope I can. If all goes wrong I will just commandeere a downed rider's bike to the bottom.
Thats what happens haha

Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 11:27 Quote
yes, that was my first thought when i got the media credentials e-mail, that guy

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 5:36 Quote
Are you shooting video or Photos?

Your pass will enable you to use the chairlift, enter the media zones (the bit between the outer part of tape and the track tape), it will allow you into the Press room (IIRC, Windham had awesome food available last time) and it will allow you access to documents like results sheets and other stuff.

Other than that, it doesn't get you too much, but my best advice is to try and blag as much as you can. If someone tells you you cant do something, show them your media pass and 99% of the time they will let you go.

Also, be nice to the marshalls. They'll keep you safe and if you are nice to them they'll let you bend the rules a little. When you set up shot near one, have a chat, say hello and ask them if if there's been much action. If you want to get a shot that is maybe just inside the track or on the limit of the tape, ask them nicely and say you'll only be there for a few shots, they'll usually let it slide.

As for shooting, use a variety of shots. Close, wide, pans, zooms, still shots. Shoot with your edit in mind too. Don't be afraid to ask riders for interviews.

Mostly enjoy it, and make out your big time. Especially if there are cute chicks...

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 5:56 Quote
timlake wrote:
Mostly enjoy it, and make out your big time. Especially if there are cute chicks...

The only piece of advice needed in this situation

Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 6:20 Quote
timlake wrote:

Your pass will enable you to use the chairlift, enter the media zones (the bit between the outer part of tape and the track tape), it will allow you into the Press room (IIRC, Windham had awesome food available last time) and it will allow you access to documents like results sheets and other stuff.

Other than that, it doesn't get you too much, but my best advice is to try and blag as much as you can. If someone tells you you cant do something, show them your media pass and 99% of the time they will let you go.

Also, be nice to the marshalls. They'll keep you safe and if you are nice to them they'll let you bend the rules a little. When you set up shot near one, have a chat, say hello and ask them if if there's been much action. If you want to get a shot that is maybe just inside the track or on the limit of the tape, ask them nicely and say you'll only be there for a few shots, they'll usually let it slide.

As for shooting, use a variety of shots. Close, wide, pans, zooms, still shots. Shoot with your edit in mind too. Don't be afraid to ask riders for interviews.

Thanks, just what I needed, hadn't thought of the marshalls. I wasn't expecting it, I just wanted to go watch, but I have my 7d with me, so I thought I might see if they provided a pass. I will definetly just try to enjoy it. No specific agenda really. I rented a monopod and a 70-200 f2.8 lens since I didn't bring any other gear with me. Just thought I'd work my way down the mountain getting shots. I was thinking mostly video, since its what I have the most experience with, and maybe a pic here and there, but depending on how good the shots come up with the monopod. Its got three small legs at the bottom and a fluid head, so it might work. We'll see. I might be too star truck to get anything decent done.

Posted: Aug 7, 2014 at 2:22 Quote
thrice wrote:
timlake wrote:

Thanks, just what I needed, hadn't thought of the marshalls. I wasn't expecting it, I just wanted to go watch, but I have my 7d with me, so I thought I might see if they provided a pass. I will definetly just try to enjoy it. No specific agenda really. I rented a monopod and a 70-200 f2.8 lens since I didn't bring any other gear with me. Just thought I'd work my way down the mountain getting shots. I was thinking mostly video, since its what I have the most experience with, and maybe a pic here and there, but depending on how good the shots come up with the monopod. Its got three small legs at the bottom and a fluid head, so it might work. We'll see. I might be too star truck to get anything decent done.

haha i had a sweet chat to Jill Kintner on the shuttle bus at out national champs a couple years back haha, was funny as!

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 13:57 Quote
Just finished this edit what do you guys think?

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 20:07 Quote
JPostuk wrote:
Nice video but Odesza has been WAY overused. I like the music, but it's in a lots of videos recently. But awesome job overall

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 21:20 Quote
cbrider14 wrote:
JPostuk wrote:
Nice video but Odesza has been WAY overused. I like the music, but it's in a lots of videos recently. But awesome job overall
Thanks man

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 22:41 Quote
Has anyone ever filmed Crankworx Whistler? If so, please share your experiences and what it was like! Just curious

Posted: Aug 8, 2014 at 23:30 Quote
Too many people around to get decent shots.. GoPro on a long pole works.. Heckle rock is the bomb

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025790
Mobile Version of Website