Amateur Videographer Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Amateur Videographer Group
Posted: May 13, 2017 at 13:56 Quote
HyperSquirrel wrote:
MaxDeutsch wrote:
Generation2k wrote:
hey everyone,
I bought a sony a6300 around 2 months ago and I've been getting the hang of it with mostly photos and the occassional video, I bought the camera so i could get into editing and filmmaking. the camera came with standard 16-50 mm f3.5-5.6 sony e-mount lens. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a second lens that is very good for mtb cinemetography all around. (zoom lens, wide angle etc...)
cheers!
i would definitely go zoom 50+ish to 200+ ish lens. i have a 55-250 mm lens for my t5i that is pretty sweet. I would say wide angle lenses arent super necessary for action sports because you want the rider to take up a significant amount of the frame.
Personally, I would disagree regarding wide angle lenses. I'm biased as a glidecam filmer because I almost exclusively shoot on my 11-16mm lens which is more a necessity than a creative choice but I can absolutely get the shots I want. The A6300 has a crop sensor, anything over 100mm is surely unnecessary unless you were shooting perhaps DH events from tens of metres away. Sure a 70-200 would be prime for full frame sensor but its not nearly as useful for a cropped sensor imo, I just can't see telephoto being that useful for anything but a very small number of shots.

Tbh I think OP's kit lens is good enough to shoot just about anything though you might want to consider a lens with an F2.8 at least at the low end of the focal range if you shoot in forests a lot. Be wary though as a lot of people rush in and buy too many lenses then never use them properly, good lenses don't come cheap.

You might consider a 35mm prime lens, and to contradict my last sentence they're usually quite cheap and have wide apertures. Its a really standard portrait lens essentially but paired with a tripod you can get some great shots with that kind of focal length. Looking through Wex's Sony range there's a whole bunch of primes available, you might want to go down to your local camera shop and just ask for some help there, it could help you get an idea of the focal lengths to see if they will suit your purpose. Samyang wide angle primes are generally fairly highly regarded too, though obviously you'd have to decide if you need wider than 16mm.
im a fan of the zoom because i really like through the trees distance shots, but i must say that i havent filmed a ton of mtb. I mostly film surfing and skating and for surfing in particular i find the zoom very hand. I gotta say just having a long lens for general photography has been very nice too and i use it about as much as my shorter one.

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 20:25 Quote
Generation2k wrote:
hey everyone,
I bought a sony a6300 around 2 months ago and I've been getting the hang of it with mostly photos and the occassional video, I bought the camera so i could get into editing and filmmaking. the camera came with standard 16-50 mm f3.5-5.6 sony e-mount lens. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a second lens that is very good for mtb cinemetography all around. (zoom lens, wide angle etc...)
cheers!
one of the best investment you could make is to sell your current lens (it's terribly unsharp and selling it will get you some $$$$$) and buy a canon 24-70 IS f2.8 . This is a very good focal range but you may want to pick up a longer or wider lens later. This is a pretty pricey lens (around a 1700 U.S. dollars) but would be totally worth it.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2017 at 13:48 Quote
Ryan-L wrote:
Generation2k wrote:
hey everyone,
cheers!
one of the best investment you could make is to sell your current lens (it's terribly unsharp and selling it will get you some $$$$$) and buy a canon 24-70 IS f2.8 . This is a very good focal range but you may want to pick up a longer or wider lens later. This is a pretty pricey lens (around a 1700 U.S. dollars) but would be totally worth it.

So I'm a little confused on this. I thought for mountain bike video you don't want a wide aperture lens because it's such a shallow depth of field and everything would be out of focus? I was told to shoot in the f8-f16 range.

Posted: May 16, 2017 at 6:03 Quote
cmkneeland wrote:
Ryan-L wrote:
Generation2k wrote:
hey everyone,
cheers!

So I'm a little confused on this. I thought for mountain bike video you don't want a wide aperture lens because it's such a shallow depth of field and everything would be out of focus? I was told to shoot in the f8-f16 range.

wide aperature=more light. you can always change to to whatever you want but it's nice to be able to go down to 2.8 if you need it.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 6:26 Quote
Views: 152    Faves: 3    Comments: 0

small iPhone shreddit

Posted: May 22, 2017 at 7:44 Quote

I'm loving my gimbal setup for now, but I get a little feedback noise from the gimbal itself. I'm adding music, but not quite sure I like it either. Give me your thoughts... I can take it.

Thanks,

Matt

Posted: May 22, 2017 at 7:46 Quote
timwestwood wrote:
Views: 152    Faves: 3    Comments: 0

small iPhone shreddit

Short but nice! Thanks for posting!

Posted: May 30, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
One of my favorite trails in Steamboat Springs!

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 12:39 Quote
Hey guys! I'm a young french rider and filmmakeur and i would like to know your impression about my latest edit! https://www.pinkbike.com/video/472302/
I'm open to all your suggestions

Baptiste

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 4:11 Quote
Baptisteidf wrote:
Hey guys! I'm a young french rider and filmmakeur and i would like to know your impression about my latest edit! https://www.pinkbike.com/video/472302/
I'm open to all your suggestions

Baptiste

Is that all hand held?

Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 20:25 Quote
matthelm1 wrote:

never use this song ever again

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 2:20 Quote
morcombemedia wrote:
matthelm1 wrote:

never use this song ever again

Whats wrong with a bit of mgmt finn? lol

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 2:35 Quote
It's a tad overused

Suss the gay vlog and subscribe
i want feedback
on how to make it less cringe aye

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 14:25 Quote
duckcrisps wrote:
Yeah it is tbf

???

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032110
Mobile Version of Website