Amateur Videographer Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Amateur Videographer Group
Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 10:47 Quote
james-good14 wrote:
So while I was at Champery I made a little edit. Really need to get some decent editing software, it should be HD but I had to convert it to use Movie Maker. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/693798-REG/Sony_MSPVMS10000_Vegas_Movie_Studio_HD.html

Sony vegas packs a powerful punch for the price.

The editing is fine, 75% boils down to the actual footage quality and content. I mean, I don't really want to tell you what 'I think' because this is the only thing I've seen, who knows your other footage might be better I don't know. Just work on the cinematography, watching more videos and actually analyzing them helps emensly.

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 21:13 Quote
So here's my latest work, finally. Feel free to tear it apart, I've already done so myself (I know that a lot of the shots are repetitive in terms of movement, rider could be faster, etc.). I wanted to interview the rider but he didn't really want to (and he only speaks French Razz ) but anyway...

Views: 1,166    Faves: 20    Comments: 22

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 21:22 Quote
I'm pretty curious what your back ground is. Your English is pro. Do you speak French, too? And do you speak something else in Singapore, from my understandings the country is multi-lingual?

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 21:40 Quote
windowlicker wrote:
I'm pretty curious what your back ground is. Your English is pro. Do you speak French, too? And do you speak something else in Singapore, from my understandings the country is multi-lingual?

I'm Belgian, so I speak fluent French (speak at home). I grew up in the UK for 8 years and I go to school in English so that's where the English comes from. I've also lived in Germany and Italy, so I understand and speak a bit of both German and Italian. And I take Spanish at school too. Singapore is very multi-lingual but the main language is English, although a lot of people speak Chinese.

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 21:47 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
So here's my latest work, finally. Feel free to tear it apart, I've already done so myself (I know that a lot of the shots are repetitive in terms of movement, rider could be faster, etc.). I wanted to interview the rider but he didn't really want to (and he only speaks French Razz ) but anyway.
Apart from the things you mentioned it was good, I liked it Smile

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 21:49 Quote
kiwihardtail wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
So here's my latest work, finally. Feel free to tear it apart, I've already done so myself (I know that a lot of the shots are repetitive in terms of movement, rider could be faster, etc.). I wanted to interview the rider but he didn't really want to (and he only speaks French Razz ) but anyway.

Thanks Smile

Anything else that needs serious improvement?

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 22:03 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
windowlicker wrote:

I'm Belgian, so I speak fluent French (speak at home). I grew up in the UK for 8 years and I go to school in English so that's where the English comes from. I've also lived in Germany and Italy, so I understand and speak a bit of both German and Italian. And I take Spanish at school too. Singapore is very multi-lingual but the main language is English, although a lot of people speak Chinese.
Crazzzzzy. I get gnarly mixed up with Spanish and Italian that I've pretty much given up on speaking them unless the person doesn't know English. I understand Spanish 100% which comes in handy here in California and I'm iffy with Italian. All of my Italian relatives speak both Spanish and Italian or Italian and some English so when I don't know how to say something in Italian, I say it in Spanish or English. That really doesn't help when people don't know Spanish or English though. Hahaha. I tried to pick up some German (Rosetta Stone, haha) but I got bored and have forgotten the simple things I 'learned'. With the Spanish though, Portuguese comes pretty easily to understand cause they sound like drunk spaniards. Hahahaha.

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 22:05 Quote
windowlicker wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
windowlicker wrote:

Crazzzzzy. I get gnarly mixed up with Spanish and Italian that I've pretty much given up on speaking them unless the person doesn't know English. I understand Spanish 100% which comes in handy here in California and I'm iffy with Italian. All of my Italian relatives speak both Spanish and Italian or Italian and some English so when I don't know how to say something in Italian, I say it in Spanish or English. That really doesn't help when people don't know Spanish or English though. Hahaha. I tried to pick up some German (Rosetta Stone, haha) but I got bored and have forgotten the simple things I 'learned'. With the Spanish though, Portuguese comes pretty easily to understand cause they sound like drunk spaniards. Hahahaha.

Haha. I get confused between Spanish and Italian now because they're pretty similar, and I never really speak Italian any more. Are you from Italian origin then?

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 22:18 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
kiwihardtail wrote:
SpikeX wrote:

Thanks Smile

Anything else that needs serious improvement?
I thought the overall structure of the edit jumped around a little, the action jumped to atmosphere shots then back to the same location and back to some more atmosphere shots, It seemed like it fitted well with the music but not as well with the flow of the video as a whole. But yea biggest thing for me was the 3-4 different styles of shots that seemed to get repeated throughout, just made it drag on a little bit. Overall it was smooth and well put together though, nothing that need serious improvement at all.

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 22:19 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
windowlicker wrote:
SpikeX wrote:

Haha. I get confused between Spanish and Italian now because they're pretty similar, and I never really speak Italian any more. Are you from Italian origin then?
I am American, born and raised! My parents were both born in Peru (they speak Spanish to my sisters and I at home, we respond in English) to foreign parents. My mothers side of the family is Italian, my fathers is German and Spanish. My mom grew up speaking Spanish though as her mom didn't have a need to speak Italian and her father was raised by second or third generation Italian immigrants to South America and only learned Spanish as well. My dads dad spoke German and Spanish but my dad never picked German up, only Spanish as his mother only spoke Spanish since her parents moved to Peru from Spain before she was born. We have family in Italy, Spain, Peru and the German relatives now live in Austria but they're nudists or something and my mom says they're weird. Hahahaha

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 23:35 Quote
have any of you seen the "marble hornets" series?

holy shit... soooooo fucking scary...
look it up on youtube... watch the intro and then the entries in order...

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 1:12 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
So here's my latest work, finally. Feel free to tear it apart, I've already done so myself (I know that a lot of the shots are repetitive in terms of movement, rider could be faster, etc.). I wanted to interview the rider but he didn't really want to (and he only speaks French Razz ) but anyway...

That was good, I think it got even better towards the end, although I really didn't like the shots where it looked like you stood up as he went past, and the camera was wobbly on the opening shot of him, but other than that it was pretty sick.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 1:42 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
SpikeX wrote:

That was good, I think it got even better towards the end, although I really didn't like the shots where it looked like you stood up as he went past, and the camera was wobbly on the opening shot of him, but other than that it was pretty sick.

Thanks Sam Smile

Yeah I was crouchinig down and stood up with the camera. Trying out different things but I agree it didn't work too well this time. I still need to get used to having the liberty of moving the camera around when I shoot (since I'm not just self-filming myself anymore). I wanted to stabilize the opening shot in AE but I'm having problems with it at the moment (won't recognize AVCHD files for some reason) and it was the only shot I had of the rider stationary so it had to go in.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 4:17 Quote
[Quote="SpikeX"]
ih-sam wrote:
SpikeX wrote:

Good job Felix, there's some good shots in there, I think I'd have linked them a bit differently to try and get the essence of "one big trail". The picture quality is stunning.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008138
Mobile Version of Website