Amateur Videographer Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Amateur Videographer Group
Author Message
Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:29 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
hahahahaha you make me laugh, I had edited with 2GB up until a month ago, now I have 3GB, 4 isn't a minimum

AVCHD or HDV? AVCHD is a pain to edit on a lot of computers, HDV is relatively easy to edit with any machine.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:30 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
Skichampion wrote:
SpikeX wrote:


Seriously, for editing AVCHD, 4GB is around the minimum.

I really need to upgrade from my 2GB Blank Stare haha does it cost much and can you "wack in" a "extra bit" of Ram?
i think it's like $100 for a gig or two.
and yeah, you just slap em in

If you're just going to be adding sticks in, you need to make sure you buy the same type and speed of RAM as the sticks that are already in there. If you're going to replace all the sticks with new ones, make sure they're compatible with your motherboard.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:31 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:
Skichampion wrote:


I really need to upgrade from my 2GB Blank Stare haha does it cost much and can you "wack in" a "extra bit" of Ram?
i think it's like $100 for a gig or two.
and yeah, you just slap em in

If you're just going to be adding sticks in, you need to make sure you buy the same type and speed of RAM as the sticks that are already in there. If you're going to replace all the sticks with new ones, make sure they're compatible with your motherboard.

I think I just need to take this heap o' junk to the tip but I can't afford another PC so it'll have to be bodged!

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:37 Quote
Anytime I don't need a quick turnaround I convert my footage to a Native format, in Avid, I'll convert to DNxHD (equivilent to prores), for 1080p24 that's about 115mbps. Why? It's super easy to edit and makes a large difference when doing precise color correction as well as adding numerous effects, and when you finally want to export, Avid is pretty quick because you can export 'same as source' which is DNxHD, then I take it into TMPGnec software to convert for internet upload format.

AVCHD is a budget format, formats like P2 (DVCProHD) may have a large file size, but the turn-around with that format is like LIGHTENING. Unfortunatly, FCP users have to Log and Transfer hahaha unlike Avid, woot (unless I'm wrong?)

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:46 Quote
AVCHD is indeed a budget format, but without it HD acquisition would be much more expensive. Yes it's a pain to edit if you don't have a good computer and it doesn't hold up too well when you start colour correcting. It does however have the benefit of small file sizes (which for most people is a must) and very good quality for a given bitrate. AVCHD is a pretty advanced and efficient codec in itself. I'd love to edit on XDCAM EX, HDCAM, or DVCProHD, but honestly I need to work on my actual content and production first (which makes more difference that the format the footage was shot in) and I don't have the money to buy a camera like that anyway.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:47 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
ih-sam wrote:
hahahahaha you make me laugh, I had edited with 2GB up until a month ago, now I have 3GB, 4 isn't a minimum

AVCHD or HDV? AVCHD is a pain to edit on a lot of computers, HDV is relatively easy to edit with any machine.
both

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:53 Quote
I find Premiere Pro CS5 to be MUCH faster than Sony Vegas Pro. I could only fluidly edit AVCHD footage in Vegas at "1/2" quality (actually only 1/4 the pixels) and it was reduced to 8-bit in the previews. In Premiere I can edit at full-HD goodness fluidly, at full bit depth, with enhanced previews (Adobe's own blend of deinterlacing and sharpening). And that's without using the MPE (I wanna get an MPE compatible GPU SOOOOO bad Razz ).

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:56 Quote
ShastaOutdoorMedia wrote:
I find Premiere Pro CS5 to be MUCH faster than Sony Vegas Pro. I could only fluidly edit AVCHD footage in Vegas at "1/2" quality (actually only 1/4 the pixels) and it was reduced to 8-bit in the previews. In Premiere I can edit at full-HD goodness fluidly, at full bit depth, with enhanced previews (Adobe's own blend of deinterlacing and sharpening). And that's without using the MPE (I wanna get an MPE compatible GPU SOOOOO bad Razz ).

Our cameras use formats which only have an 8-bit pixel depth anyway. Smile

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 17:03 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
ShastaOutdoorMedia wrote:
I find Premiere Pro CS5 to be MUCH faster than Sony Vegas Pro. I could only fluidly edit AVCHD footage in Vegas at "1/2" quality (actually only 1/4 the pixels) and it was reduced to 8-bit in the previews. In Premiere I can edit at full-HD goodness fluidly, at full bit depth, with enhanced previews (Adobe's own blend of deinterlacing and sharpening). And that's without using the MPE (I wanna get an MPE compatible GPU SOOOOO bad Razz ).

Our cameras use formats which only have an 8-bit pixel depth anyway. Smile

Per channel. This was like 2 bpc, instead of 8.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 17:31 Quote
So I finally benchmarked my Crucial M225 SSD, and IT'S AWESOME!!! Its minimum read speed is just slightly faster than the maximum read speed of my RAID 0 array (SSD min at 180MB/s, max at 220MB/s)! And Crucial's just come out with models that are 2x faster running on SATA III interfaces! I want 4 of those babies in a RAID 0!

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 17:45 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
hahahahaha you make me laugh, I had edited with 2GB up until a month ago, now I have 3GB, 4 isn't a minimum
Sure... and how many VODs have you gotten?



lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 18:04 Quote
New silverstar edit coming soon. Its just uploading now but the pb uploader is being slowwwwwww haha ill link you guys to an hd version soon.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 19:30 Quote
windowlicker wrote:
ih-sam wrote:
hahahahaha you make me laugh, I had edited with 2GB up until a month ago, now I have 3GB, 4 isn't a minimum
Sure... and how many VODs have you gotten?



lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

f*ck, this guy pretty much just won the internet.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 19:36 Quote
Maurice-Santiago wrote:
windowlicker wrote:
ih-sam wrote:
hahahahaha you make me laugh, I had edited with 2GB up until a month ago, now I have 3GB, 4 isn't a minimum
Sure... and how many VODs have you gotten?



lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

f*ck, this guy pretty much just won the internet.

+1

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 19:58 Quote
Here it is. let me know what you think!

Views: 34,434    Faves: 1,037    Comments: 105


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009197
Mobile Version of Website