I need some information about a broken collar bone.

PB Forum :: Downhill
I need some information about a broken collar bone.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:32 Quote
Ok so basically I broke my collar bone clean in two.

The doctor says it will be just as strong and will function fully if it sets like this

photo

I am looking for advice from people who have experienced this type of injury. I have roughly a week to decide whether or not to go ahead with the surgery but I am reluctant to have it if its unnecessary.

Thanks

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:33 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:

The doctor says it will be just as strong and will function fully if it sets like this

photo

I am looking for advice from people who have experienced this type of injury. I have roughly a week to decide whether or not to go ahead with the surgery but I am reluctant to have it if its unnecessary.

Thanks

have it done

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:35 Quote
supercooper wrote:

have it done

Thanks for the reply, have you had the surgery yourself?

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:37 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:

snip

Thanks

Right, I am out with with one now at the moment.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://file050a.bebo.com/5/large/2009/09/04/17/4416296807a11544063632l.jpg Thats mine.

With your break there is some sort of union and will grow back without surgery. Mine was miles apart and still bone has started to grow now, but it took 8 weeks, and I'm gonna be off my bike for 6 months.

It will be as strong as it was before, but it will never look like it did.

Good luck in your recovery...

i broke my collar bone not so long back.and would highly recomend having surgery on it.plus u will have a bit of titanium in you for ever lol.but seriously having surgery will leave you without a visible lump on you.and will make it that little bit stronger.with less chance of you screwing it up again.

Stoked-Commencal wrote:
supercooper wrote:

have it done

Thanks for the reply, have you had the surgery yourself?

well i broke my wrist and collar bone, i know a boy who had surgery on his collar bone

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
fiveus123 wrote:
i broke my collar bone not so long back.and would highly recomend having surgery on it.plus u will have a bit of titanium in you for ever lol.but seriously having surgery will leave you without a visible lump on you.and will make it that little bit stronger.with less chance of you screwing it up again.

No it won't. A fully healed collarbone will just be as strong as one that has never been broken...

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:39 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
fiveus123 wrote:

No it won't. A fully healed collarbone will just be as strong as one that has never been broken...

really? i know a boy who has broke his like 4 times haha

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
supercooper wrote:

Doesn't mean it was weaker. When its fully healed it will be back to 100% strength...

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:41 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
supercooper wrote:

Doesn't mean it was weaker. When its fully healed it will be back to 100% strength...

nice i did not know that

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:41 Quote
Well I really don't want surgery if I dont need it plus will require two operations. From what the consultant said it should be fine but if they operate there will be a risk of infection and I have pretty big exams this year so i have to think of them.. Slipknot, are you still in a sling?

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:44 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
Well I really don't want surgery if I dont need it plus will require two operations. From what the consultant said it should be fine but if they operate there will be a risk of infection and I have pretty big exams this year so i have to think of them.. Slipknot, are you still in a sling?

Nope, I was out of a sling after 4 weeks, but it was still broken. Thats about 6 weeks ago.

Your break will heal without any surgery. If you get surgery your gonna miss about 3 weeks of school between the 2. It will be about the same without surgery.

Surgery is if there is a massive gap and it isn't healing or if it's closer to the shoulder.

In a teenager it will take about 6-8 weeks to heal fully, about 4 weeks to have started a fusion.

Hope that helps...

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:47 Quote
And hows your mobility?

Thanks for all the help.

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:49 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
And hows your mobility?

Thanks for all the help.

Full mobility. I had that after about 6-7 weeks, with the help of some physio. I still am not allowed lift anything heavy and I still have to hit the physio hard to get my arm back to strength, another 8 weeks for me, but my collarbone was just a mess...

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:53 Quote
Ok thanks for that, mine isn't as bad as yours so I should be set Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016703
Mobile Version of Website