Is my hub shot

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Is my hub shot
Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 5:14 Quote
i have a 2003 p1 it still has the stock hubs. about 2 weeks ago the hub made a loud click and shifted to the left making the tire rub on the frame. at first i could push on it and move it back and it would stay that way for like 30 min before it broke again. after that i got the barrings replaced and it rode fine for about an 20 min of riding not even jumping, then clicked back. now when ever i put weight on the hub it clicks over. any one know whats wrong? is my hub shot?

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 5:40 Quote
who replaced the bearings? if it was in a shop take the wheel back and ask why they made such an arse of fixing it. any halfway decent mechanic should have noticed there was play in the hub.

if you did it yourself then you did it wrong, so take it to a bike shop and get it fixed. its probably just loose cones.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 18:09 Quote
i took it to a shop but i will take it back and have them check the cones.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 20:51 Quote
It could be the fork. Take whole bike into LBS.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 11:34 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
It could be the fork. Take whole bike into LBS.

i think its the rear hub. he said that it rubbed on the frame when it shifted

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
if he took it to a shop then theres no way they would have let it leave with the same problem it came in with, not unless they were totally incompetent. america doesnt have a Halfords, does it?

if it wasnt the bearings and it cant be the cones, because the mechanic must have taken the axle out when he replaced the bearings and we will assume he replaced them properly, then its something much worse.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 12:43 Quote
Spoke tension is the only other thing I can think of.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 12:46 Quote
its the hub thats moving on the axle though, its not the rim.

it sounds like the hub is goosed, but i cant believe the mech who serviced it never noticed.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 12:49 Quote
take you wheel off, take ur fingers and turn the next nut from your axle nuts (cone nuts) and turn em clockwise put ur wheel back on. if it still does it then ur hubs prolly done

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:02 Quote
mikedjumpin wrote:
take you wheel off, that ur fingers and turn the next nut from your axle nuts (cone nuts) and turn em clockwise put ur wheel back on. if it still does it then ur hubs prolly done

eh?

if youre going to give advice at least do it in a manner we can understand.

it looks like youre telling him to tighten the cones,(like we have all said) as though that was a simple thing and didnt need a cone spanner and the knowledge of how to do it without overtightening them and sending them into the hub where they can do dreadful damage.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:
take you wheel off, that ur fingers and turn the next nut from your axle nuts (cone nuts) and turn em clockwise put ur wheel back on. if it still does it then ur hubs prolly done

eh?

it looks like youre telling him to tighten the cones,(like we have all said) as though that was a simple thing and didnt need a cone spanner and the knowledge of how to do it without overtightening them and sending them into the hub where they can do dreadful damage.

You don't actually need a cone spanner. Just loosen the locknuts and then you can twist them.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:10 Quote
Some people shouldn't be allowed on the internet. They're just too stupid.

Just pop into the shop that replaced your bearings and politely ask them to check out the hub and see whether they can do anything to solve the problem, and further prevent it from happening again.

The problem with the internet is that the people behind it often have no idea what they're on about. They can make incorrect assumptions and as has been displayed in this thread, jump to conclusions on whom to blame.

To adjust cones you require cone spanners. Because if you just adjust them by tightening them the problem will simply appear soon after. You need to use cone spanners to lock the cones down solidly so they cannot self adjust whatsoever.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
yeah, but if you dont hold the cones in place then you cant tighten them and the axle nuts properly. ive seen quite a few hubs that have been damaged because the cones have drifted out and loosened the hub. even as little as half a turn can be enough.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:

eh?

that makes perfect sense, you dont need a cone wrench. i said do it finger tight to see if that stops the problem. f*ck you mountain bikers are arrogant.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011651
Mobile Version of Website