Is my hub shot

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Is my hub shot
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:16 Quote
doing it finger tight is what causes the problem in the first place. thats why god invented spanners.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
mikedjumpin wrote:
*snipsnip*

that makes perfect sense, you dont need a cone wrench. i said do it finger tight to see if that stops the problem. f*ck you mountain bikers are arrogant.

No, we just like things to work properly.
You cant properly tighten cones with your fingers, as you obviously need the lockrings tightened down onto them to stop them moving. This requires a cone wrench holding the cone steady and another to tighten the locknut.

Although for testing, it is fine to tighten by finger, as long as you don't actually ride like that. But even then you still need the cone wrench.

Bottom line: take it to your bike shop. They will fix it, and save you the cost of another set of bearings if you try to fix it yourself and fail.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
ok troll, go away.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:22 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
ok troll, go away.

Do you know what a troll is?

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
yes, somebody who comes onto forums like this and just talks garbage to try to wind people up.

he's giving bad advice then insulting people when they correct him. the very definition of a troll right there.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:42 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
yes, somebody who comes onto forums like this and just talks garbage to try to wind people up.

he's giving bad advice then insulting people when they correct him. the very definition of a troll right there.

i dont see how he's a troll....he gave one piece of advice that was his opoinion and you got worked up.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
so calling us f*cking arrogant for questioning his bad advice is ok then?

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
Yes, your hub is shot. You need to buy a new one, I just so happen to have one for sale. I'll give it to you for the low low price of $600.Blank Stare

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
mikedjumpin wrote:
xcrisx wrote:
doing it finger tight is what causes the problem in the first place. thats why god invented spanners.

most people done have enough money to waste on tools theyll never use again. if you claim finger tight doesnt work then do it with adjustables. bikes arnt space shuttles. there peices of metal with not much thought into them.
he probably will use the cone wrenches again, to fix anything properly you need to start with proper tools. if he has cone wrenches then he can always rebuild his own hubs and regrease them and replace broken bearings for dirts cheap, in the long run, cone wrenches will save you loads. don't listen to this BMX f*ggot, he rides kids bikes, not to mention how simple a BMX is compaired to a mtb.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
the first time i took it to a shop that specializes in restoring old bikes and dosnt realy do much with bikes post 90's but is super cheap so ima take it to one of the better bike shops and have them check it out

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
z-man wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:
xcrisx wrote:

most people done have enough money to waste on tools theyll never use again. if you claim finger tight doesnt work then do it with adjustables. bikes arnt space shuttles. there peices of metal with not much thought into them.
he probably will use the cone wrenches again, to fix anything properly you need to start with proper tools. if he has cone wrenches then he can always rebuild his own hubs and regrease them and replace broken bearings for dirts cheap, in the long run, cone wrenches will save you loads. don't listen to this BMX f*ggot, he rides kids bikes, not to mention how simple a BMX is compaired to a mtb.

A hub is a hub. And why are you calling him a f*ggot? I ride bmx and dh and I can honestly say bmx is right up there with dh difficulty wise.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 14:14 Quote
theres nothing simple about bmx hubs. externally its all just bolted on, but the internals of a quality Profile hub are just as complicated as anything you'll find on a mountain bike.

anyway, take the wheel to a good shop, explian whats been happening and they will know what to do.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 14:38 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
theres nothing simple about bmx hubs. externally its all just bolted on, but the internals of a Profile hub are more complicated than anything you'll find on a mountain bike.

anyway, take the wheel to a good shop, explian whats been happening and they will know what to do.

FYP

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 14:45 Quote
I've stripped a Profile recently, it's no big challenge. Try a Rohloff or Nexus etc.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
yeh but that shit has gears in it...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012742
Mobile Version of Website