The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 9:01 Quote
Anyone have experience with 2012 Diamondback Scapegoat? I'm looking at getting one for more all mountain and do everything purposes. It's a size small, and I'm 5'8''

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 13:59 Quote
Is it possible to lower or raise the amount of travel for a dual position air fork? Thanks.

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 14:04 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
Is it possible to lower or raise the amount of travel for a dual position air fork? Thanks.
VEW AIRSHAFTTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFS8yofgq3iyrgf

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 14:19 Quote
VTwintips wrote:

Im going to take a guess that you are referring to a Rockshox fork? From what I could find on the subject online after looking at it for my 29'er the common consensus is no.

But its not impossible with other forks, I've quite successfully done it with a few different models of bombers over the years.

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 at 15:52 Quote
Looking for hub adapters, need to convert my Sun Ringle ADD comp from 20x110 to 15x100. These are the only sun ringle 15mm adapters that CRC have in stock and they look more or less the same as my 20mm endcaps. I've not found any information as to what hubs the ADDs actually use, although they look quite similar to the Demons. Which is handy as one reviewer mentioned they fitted their Demon hubs. Can anyone confirm this?
Edit, quick google search shows that the hub the adapter I've linked to looks identical to the one on my wheel. Think I'll go for it

My other option is to shell out £30 for an Easton hub adapter for my Havoc, but then I'd have to swap it back and forth every time I wanted to ride the DH bike.

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 at 18:52 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
I don't know for sure about Pikes but I saw different DPA spring shafts listed for Revelation (my Trance came with a 140mm and I know there are 150mm out there), so have your LBS check the RS catalog.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 15:26 Quote
Does anybody remember that photo of a pro rider doing a wooden dropoff (maybe an x-up) to the right of a waterfall? I think it was in some movie too, and potentially on the cover of the movie. I've been trying to find that for building something.

Thanks.

Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 3:37 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
Does anybody remember that photo of a pro rider doing a wooden dropoff (maybe an x-up) to the right of a waterfall? I think it was in some movie too, and potentially on the cover of the movie. I've been trying to find that for building something.

Thanks.
Think I remember it but no idea who or where it was. It's always worth looking at Wade Simmons' stuff from back in the day....plenty of crazy inspiration.

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 9:29 Quote
I had a question I was hoping somebody with recent experience could help me out with.
I am going to upgrade the drivetrain on my Bottlerocket (I like the bike too much to move on entirely from it)
I am currently running 9-speed X9. A am going to go either to 10-speed with an expander or maybe to 11-speed.

My problem is this: I like the feeling of the 'positive' SRAM shifting, and normally I would just stick with SRAM.
However, changing over to Shimano could be considerably cheaper. A shop guy at a local shop told me that the newer Shimano stuff feels a lot more positive (i.e more like SRAM) than it used to.

Can anybody attest to this?

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 9:37 Quote
runwithoneless wrote:
I had a question I was hoping somebody with recent experience could help me out with.
I am going to upgrade the drivetrain on my Bottlerocket (I like the bike too much to move on entirely from it)
I am currently running 9-speed X9. A am going to go either to 10-speed with an expander or maybe to 11-speed.

My problem is this: I like the feeling of the 'positive' SRAM shifting, and normally I would just stick with SRAM.
However, changing over to Shimano could be considerably cheaper. A shop guy at a local shop told me that the newer Shimano stuff feels a lot more positive (i.e more like SRAM) than it used to.

have you tried any of the 10spd stuff? Shimano shifter geometry hasn't changed. If you didn't like it before, you still won't. With their 11 speed stuff, shimano kinda went overboard on the "positiveness" it's super clunky feeling

Also, do you have an XD freehub body?

My suggestion would be a mix of X1 and GX with an XT cassette if you don't have an XD freehub body.

Do any local shops have bikes with 11 speed sram and shimano in stock? You could pedal both around and see which you like best.

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 12:22 Quote
runwithoneless wrote:

Haven't ridden the new shimano stuff but you can run a 10 speed clutch equipped shimano mech with your current setup and you would still have 9 speeds but you would have a clutch setup for cheap

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 12:24 Quote
Nobble wrote:
runwithoneless wrote:

have you tried any of the 10spd stuff? Shimano shifter geometry hasn't changed. If you didn't like it before, you still won't. With their 11 speed stuff, shimano kinda went overboard on the "positiveness" it's super clunky feeling

Also, do you have an XD freehub body?

My suggestion would be a mix of X1 and GX with an XT cassette if you don't have an XD freehub body.

Do any local shops have bikes with 11 speed sram and shimano in stock? You could pedal both around and see which you like best.

10 speed shimano felt perfect to me. I detest the new 11 speed shimano groups (especially the XT). Sram GX/X1 is the way to go.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 7:03 Quote
I've seen on DH bikes before, with what look like little rubber patches that stick to the frame to cushion it against the top crown of the fork. Like an alternative to the cushions that go around the fork itself.

My question is, what are these called? I couldn't find them on CRC.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 8:14 Quote
IronJockey wrote:
I've seen on DH bikes before, with what look like little rubber patches that stick to the frame to cushion it against the top crown of the fork. Like an alternative to the cushions that go around the fork itself.

Some frames have them built in to the down tube.
I think this is what you mean! That's why they aren't on CRC as a component.
Unless your frame has the studs for them, get some superglue!

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 14:18 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
IronJockey wrote:

Some frames have them built in to the down tube.
I think this is what you mean! That's why they aren't on CRC as a component.
Unless your frame has the studs for them, get some superglue!

Ah ok. I assumed you could buy them separately to stick on, like those lizard skin patches that prevent cable rub.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032618
Mobile Version of Website