The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 12:16 Quote
mtb55 wrote:
mrgonzo wrote:
mtb55 wrote:
I need a little help... I have a 2006 Specialized Enduro Expert that came with a Progessive 5th element air shock. The shock has no oil damping at all. No rebound, so on bigger hits it can buck me off the bike, and constant chattery bumps make it too put like mad, making it sound like something will break or tank out. I really need to either get this shock serviced, (Don't know anywhere that will, it's old and Progressive is out of business...) or Ideally get a new shock.

So my question to you is where can I get the shock serviced, or If I cant, then what would be an adequate replacement shock for a 2006 Enduro?

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade the whole bike. Probably not what you want to hear but i wouldn't keep throwing money at an 11 year old bike.

Excuse me? I already have upgraded the whole bike, came with a RS Tora, so put on a 2009 36 Talas, Thompson stem, RF Atlas bars, Mavic 823s laced to Chris king hubs.11' Marta Fr brakes with Deore levers, 12' xt derailleur with xtr shifters... Yes, its a 2006, but I upgrade all of my bikes, so literally the only thing left to upgrade IS the shock. So I'm asking for a litte help finding the Ideal shock for my frame. E2E is 8.75, stroke is 2.75. Thanks in advance.
The best shock is a new larger wheeled bicycle.

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 16:44 Quote
mtb55 wrote:
mrgonzo wrote:
mtb55 wrote:
I need a little help... I have a 2006 Specialized Enduro Expert that came with a Progessive 5th element air shock. The shock has no oil damping at all. No rebound, so on bigger hits it can buck me off the bike, and constant chattery bumps make it too put like mad, making it sound like something will break or tank out. I really need to either get this shock serviced, (Don't know anywhere that will, it's old and Progressive is out of business...) or Ideally get a new shock.

So my question to you is where can I get the shock serviced, or If I cant, then what would be an adequate replacement shock for a 2006 Enduro?

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade the whole bike. Probably not what you want to hear but i wouldn't keep throwing money at an 11 year old bike.

Excuse me? I already have upgraded the whole bike, came with a RS Tora, so put on a 2009 36 Talas, Thompson stem, RF Atlas bars, Mavic 823s laced to Chris king hubs.11' Marta Fr brakes with Deore levers, 12' xt derailleur with xtr shifters... Yes, its a 2006, but I upgrade all of my bikes, so literally the only thing left to upgrade IS the shock. So I'm asking for a litte help finding the Ideal shock for my frame. E2E is 8.75, stroke is 2.75. Thanks in advance.

Don't take it personal. I'm sure you love the bike and you'll do what you want but if you keep replacing stuff as it breaks you're spending money that could go towards a newer bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 16:59 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
mtb55 wrote:
mrgonzo wrote:

Accurate.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 7:43 Quote
Fazeless wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
mtb55 wrote:

Accurate.

Truth.

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 11:26 Quote
riish wrote:
Fazeless wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Accurate.

Truth.
This.

Especially when your newest part is 5 years old.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 21:11 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
riish wrote:
Fazeless wrote:

Accurate.

Truth.
This.

Especially when your newest part is 5 years old.

I mean, it's cool to upgrade retro bikes, but not ride it as a main...

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 22:07 Quote
mtb55 wrote:
mrgonzo wrote:
mtb55 wrote:

Get a float x2

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 at 10:28 Quote
It wasn't retro in 2006, and its not much different than an Sx trail. I doubt you would call that retro. If the frame ever broke, I would just swap it out, but honestly, I doubt it ever will. I am happy with my 26" wheels.

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 at 11:38 Quote
mtb55 wrote:
It wasn't retro in 2006, and its not much different than an Sx trail. I doubt you would call that retro. If the frame ever broke, I would just swap it out, but honestly, I doubt it ever will. I am happy with my 26" wheels.

disco and flared jeans werent retro in the 60s...

Posted: Oct 2, 2017 at 2:31 Quote
I miss my old DJ bike,

Beauty shots of my bicycle.

I'm looking to get back into riding, starting with some more chill trail-riding, and i've got a great deal on an 03-05 (unsure specifically) Kona Kahuna Deluxe...
What's the risk riding an old 7075 alu frame? How bad is fatigue?

Posted: Oct 3, 2017 at 1:41 Quote
p3dirtjumpernz wrote:
I miss my old DJ bike,

Beauty shots of my bicycle.

I'm looking to get back into riding, starting with some more chill trail-riding, and i've got a great deal on an 03-05 (unsure specifically) Kona Kahuna Deluxe...
What's the risk riding an old 7075 alu frame? How bad is fatigue?

aluminium fatigue is considerable after 5-6 years, and unless it was just a xc bike I wouldn't do it.

Posted: Oct 3, 2017 at 8:47 Quote
Have any of you guys (n'girls) seen a Manitou Swinger Pro DC air shock in 222x70 size? The Expert version doesn't exist in this size, but the Pro dies, just never seen one actually for sale. And i don't want the 222x65 and 230x70 alternatives!

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 6:15 Quote
Has anyone else seen these super cheap forks floating around on ebay? Looks like they are from china. Seems too good to be true. Just want some insight before I decide to pull the trigger. Link down below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/rock-shox-pike-29-140mm-SoloAir-RCT3-eBay-/282695762635?hash=item41d1fb02cb:g:bgsAAOSw1OtZ49hL

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 6:32 Quote
tbringe21 wrote:
Has anyone else seen these super cheap forks floating around on ebay? Looks like they are from china. Seems too good to be true. Just want some insight before I decide to pull the trigger. Link down below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/rock-shox-pike-29-140mm-SoloAir-RCT3-eBay-/282695762635?hash=item41d1fb02cb:g:bgsAAOSw1OtZ49hL
New seller with zero feedback ............most likely stolen image Rolleyes

Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 21:49 Quote
Anyone know of a site for looking up rear shock stroke/length for(including older) bikes?
If not, know the shock length/stroke for a 2001 GT Idrive 6.0?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041459
Mobile Version of Website