The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 18:08 Quote
Hey all so my quick question pertains to seat post angles. I'm always seeing riders around here with their saddle noses tipped slightly downwards (towards frame). Why is this? Is there some hidden pedaling benefit I'm not aware of? I'm curious as my saddle is normally sloped back ever so slightly due to the slope of my seat tube but, I'm considering adjusting it and living with the change if it may help me out on the climbs.

Cheers,
VF

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 18:42 Quote
I used to run my saddle that way in my xc days. I felt like i could get a little more weight on the front of the bike when i was climbing in low gears. Give it a try, you might like it.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 18:45 Quote
Okay, well I'll try it tomorrow night then for a nice snow ride and see if I get used to it. Thanks for the quick reply!

Cheers,
VF

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 10:25 Quote
Quick question. Have a lead on a take off 18 Pike, but it's boost. My Process 134 SE is not. Bike is new, I would prefer to keep things matching if I can.

So... buy cheap boost front wheel and 6 bolt rotor, rebuild current rim on slx/xt hub to keep centerlock rotor, or find a 15x100 fork and don't switch anything?

The Pike is several hundred dollars off new, but already above what I would really like to spend. An upgraded $400 wheel set is out this time of year.

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 12:56 Quote
Maslin02 wrote:
Quick question. Have a lead on a take off 18 Pike, but it's boost. My Process 134 SE is not. Bike is new, I would prefer to keep things matching if I can.

So... buy cheap boost front wheel and 6 bolt rotor, rebuild current rim on slx/xt hub to keep centerlock rotor, or find a 15x100 fork and don't switch anything?

The Pike is several hundred dollars off new, but already above what I would really like to spend. An upgraded $400 wheel set is out this time of year.

https://www.mrpbike.com/better-boost-adapter-kits/

Not sure if you can get these for shimano or not but definitely worth a look

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 14:05 Quote
Maslin02 wrote:

There is got to be an adaptor of some sort that would allow you to run a boost hub and non boost hub.

Check out http://problemsolversbike.comAs well

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 15:36 Quote
sam-hughes1 wrote:
https://www.mrpbike.com/better-boost-adapter-kits/

Not sure if you can get these for shimano or not but definitely worth a look

Thepureface wrote:
There is got to be an adaptor of some sort that would allow you to run a boost hub and non boost hub.

Check out http://problemsolversbike.comAs well

Can't track anything down for the shimano hubs, or centerlock at all. There's an article about an MRP kit that leaves the wheel centered and move the caliper in 5mm, but it doesn't seem to actually exist. And isn't compatible with the shimano hub.

I'm looking at ~130 to buy an SLX hub and rebuild on my stock $20 WTB rim, or ~100 for a new complete wheel with centerlock hub. Probably go that way for simplicity, the deal on the fork is too good to pass up.

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 16:21 Quote
Ah I see. I hadn't actually looked myself. Too bad shimano doesn't have an adaptor

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 17:40 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
Hey all so my quick question pertains to seat post angles. I'm always seeing riders around here with their saddle noses tipped slightly downwards (towards frame). Why is this? Is there some hidden pedaling benefit I'm not aware of? I'm curious as my saddle is normally sloped back ever so slightly due to the slope of my seat tube but, I'm considering adjusting it and living with the change if it may help me out on the climbs.

Cheers,
VF

for me it reduces lower back pain, and puts you in a better position to put down more power. Thats the the reason the uci banned it for road

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 18:41 Quote
So, i bought a used DJ bike since mine was stolen recently and it was a good deal. Said bike did not come with breaks and so i bought some, only to find out that the bike had a bmx hub that was not disk brake compatible. My question is: does anyone know of a nice, decently priced, disk brake compatible mountain bike hub with a 9-tooth driver?

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 3:26 Quote
BeanInYourSpleen wrote:
So, i bought a used DJ bike since mine was stolen recently and it was a good deal. Said bike did not come with breaks and so i bought some, only to find out that the bike had a bmx hub that was not disk brake compatible. My question is: does anyone know of a nice, decently priced, disk brake compatible mountain bike hub with a 9-tooth driver?

Is the frame bmx spaced or is it mtb spaced with the bmx axle rammed full of spacers??

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 18:44 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
BeanInYourSpleen wrote:

Is the frame bmx spaced or is it mtb spaced with the bmx axle rammed full of spacers??

its bmx spaced

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 4:03 Quote
bmx spaced hub with disc mount...

Hard find that buddy.

Hope do one but there is not many at all.

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 6:59 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
bmx spaced hub with disc mount...

Hard find that buddy.

Hope do one but there is not many at all.

thanks for the help though!

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 15:49 Quote
nikco wrote:
Hi

What bike would you recommend out of the Trek remedy 9.8 or the Norco range 7.2?

They have very similar spec but i like the norco as it's a bit more uncommon

Has anyone ridden either or both of bikes to comment?

Thanks, Nick

Owned both!

The remedy climbed and descended better. It was just a more refined bike. I loved it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.040007
Mobile Version of Website