The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Author Message
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 14:30 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
Would it be insane to mount a hardtail with a slick tire (rather then a road bike) on a friction trainer?

No, it’s a good idea. You see it at WC DH stops usually.

Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 15:38 Quote
Explain like I'm 5: why is the de facto standard for bikes to be sold and weighed without pedals?

Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
Explain like I'm 5: why is the de facto standard for bikes to be sold and weighed without pedals?

Makes them seem lighter than they are, and most people don't use the stock pedals, opting for either better flats or clipless pedals

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
Explain like I'm 5: why is the de facto standard for bikes to be sold and weighed without pedals?
Its actually because of a law un in the UK. If a bike is sold with pedals, and can therefore be ridden out of the shop, it has to be fitted with front, rear, wheel and pedal reflectors at the point of sale. By leaving off the pedals, the manufacturer saves a shit load of money by not fitting crap that everyone throws away.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
Explain like I'm 5: why is the de facto standard for bikes to be sold and weighed without pedals?
Main reason is that most mountain or road riders have a pedal preference and almost always buy new pedals of their liking regardless of what comes with the bike.

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 4:33 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
Explain like I'm 5: why is the de facto standard for bikes to be sold and weighed without pedals?
Main reason is that most mountain or road riders have a pedal preference and almost always buy new pedals of their liking regardless of what comes with the bike.

Same could be said for grips, saddles, and tyres, why not sell bikes without those too?

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
Explain like I'm 5: why is the de facto standard for bikes to be sold and weighed without pedals?
Main reason is that most mountain or road riders have a pedal preference and almost always buy new pedals of their liking regardless of what comes with the bike.

Same could be said for grips, saddles, and tyres, why not sell bikes without those too?

When we have the options of clips or no clips for the grips and seat bikes probably won't come with them anymore.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
Question on HUBS?

I have hubs that take a 1/4 inch to apply whats the best affordable Hubs out there? I think mines are DT Swiss 350

Posted: Jul 6, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
Does anyone know of any company making a three bolt direct mount Sram style chainring that is compatible with Shimano M9100 series drivetrains?

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Does anyone know of any company making a three bolt direct mount Sram style chainring that is compatible with Shimano M9100 series drivetrains?
I've run the wolftooth rings on non Shimano cranks with good success on 11 speed Shimano systems. This was mostly on m8000/9000 but I feel it should still work well. The sram and Shimano 11 speed chains are dimensionally the same meaning there should not be any issues with it tracking over any time designed for 1x11 use.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Does anyone know of any company making a three bolt direct mount Sram style chainring that is compatible with Shimano M9100 series drivetrains?
I've run the wolftooth rings on non Shimano cranks with good success on 11 speed Shimano systems. This was mostly on m8000/9000 but I feel it should still work well. The sram and Shimano 11 speed chains are dimensionally the same meaning there should not be any issues with it tracking over any time designed for 1x11 use.

I meant for 12 speed. Shimano has stated the chain needs their specific chainrings in order to mesh correctly, but I'm not sure I want to take Shimano's word alone on that.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 6:11 Quote
hey all.

So my bike came with 2.8 Maxxis DHF/R tires on plus sized 35mm rims. (650b)

I'm getting a new wheelset next month which will be 33mm wide. halo's website states they are made for tires up to 2.6 wide so im thinking of going down to a 2.5/2.6 ish size.

i want it to roll faster and make my XC rides a bit less effort but still have great grip in berms etc. Also hoping the thinner profile will shed some weight too. Can anyone recommend any nice tyres? i'd love skin walls but it's not an issue if not.

I'll also be keeping the DHF/R too for the winter as they're great in boggy conditions, but would like a 'summer/'dry' tyre choice which suits the dust trails of the summer a bit better.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
Hi,
I've been away from MTB-s since 2011 and a lot has changed during that time. New standard sizes etc.
Since i moved to Canada where i have mountains around me i decided to buy FS budget bike: GT Verb Comp 2018.
Couple of weeks biking and i realize that many things have to be upgraded.
First thing: front shox. Currently have stock shox with QR option and straight steerer which i believe is 1 1/8.
Since most new shox are now thru axle and tapered then what do i have to keep in mind when getting new one?
Specs say my frame is 1 1/8 -1 1/2 Integrated Head Tube.
With a new tapered steerer i have to upgrade headset too? To 1 1/8-1 1/2?
Probably need to get new front wheel too with thru axle? I found that some hubs can be converted from QR to thru axle but just not sure if mine is.
Thanks for all info/suggestions.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 4:26 Quote
So these are my cranks
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/17536655/
I need this bottom bracket right?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/es/es/eje-de-pedalier-de-aluminio-sram-gxp/rp-prod55194
My frame is a giant brass 2 2010 with 68mm euro bb that means I need a 68mm bb with english thread

Can someone confirm or deny that, thx


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021031
Mobile Version of Website