What are the basics to starting a frame company

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What are the basics to starting a frame company
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 12:45 Quote
well since i got into this sport ive always wanted to do somthing big for it. in the past year ive thought alot about making my own frames and i know this sounds stupid but i dont realy know where to start Eek
so i was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers and just tell me what i need to know before i start making a comitment
thanks

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 13:25 Quote
That's a big question. Some considerations:

- You're going to have to understand and to use at a reasonable high level some type of CAD.

- You're also going to want to be an amazing welder.

- You're going to have to understand frame materials and the pros and cons of each.

- You're going to have to understand industry standards in terms of designs so you can built a parts compatible frame.

- You're going to want to ensure you understand any applicable patents so you don't infringe.

- You'll need to understand the industry so you'll know who the players are, what price points work, distribution channels, etc, etc.

- You'll have to create a top notch business plan identify a real opportunity for your product to get financing.

- You'll need to be able to manage a business and the people within it, including, but not limited to: personal conflict, finances, HR issues/employment laws, negotiating, etc, etc.

- You'll have to identify and lease production space and understand how to stock and operate a factory/assembly line.

- And most importantly you have to be willing to live, eat, and breath your business for at least the first few years and very likely forever. If you want to survive and then grow everything else in your life must be put on hold. You only have so much energy and that's going to have to be used to work 16 hr days, 7 days a week. While other are riding you'll be in the shop welding. Parties, and weekends away will be for your friends and it'll be accounting and designing for you.

I'm not typing this to discourage you, I'm just hoping to give you a real picture of what you can expect. I also have the goal of working for myself one day, so in preperation I'm planning on spending roughly ten years in my industry to gain understanding and expertice before I attempt to run my own show. I don't know your age and experience but I'd suggest spending some time in the industry and really cutting your teeth under somebody else - This will give you time to save up some capital as well. They'll teach you and give you the skills you'll need to do well on your own.

Then again you can ignore all of the above and hope to hit it big without the above like any number of companies have; but they are the exception not the rule.

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
1) Take out a big loan
2) Grab phone
3) Call Taiwan
4) Get them to make you a load of frames (You can get Ti hardtails built for about £400 here, shipped over if the quantity is large enough)
5) ?????
6) Profit

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 16:13 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
5) ?????
6) Profit
I lol'dlol

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 16:22 Quote
Make a frame

sell it

repeat.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008315
Mobile Version of Website