Leat brace VS collarbone

PB Forum :: Downhill
Leat brace VS collarbone
O+
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 13:26 Quote
motostu93 wrote:
im some where around 36 1/2"

Can you load up the sizing chart?

Sounds to me like you have samll lungs...LOL, seriously, I would say your a med. Again the best way to know is to try it on.

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 13:26 Quote
im gonna give my moto shop a call and see if they have any. thats the nice thing about leatt they come in 2 sizes. and if your not a little shrimp than a medium fits.

a-r-c which bionic do you have? red or white?

O+
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 18:10 Quote
motostu93 wrote:
im gonna give my moto shop a call and see if they have any. thats the nice thing about leatt they come in 2 sizes. and if your not a little shrimp than a medium fits.

I will be using the white one. I can't justify the cost of the higher one when it offers the same features, protection and nearly the same weight.

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 19:27 Quote
a-r-c wrote:
motostu93 wrote:

I will be using the white one. I can't justify the cost of the higher one when it offers the same features, protection and nearly the same weight.
same here and i dont like the looks of the cheap leatt

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 9:50 Quote
All right. I've read and read post after post about Leatt compatibility with various chest protectors. I finally bit the bullet and got a new DBX Comp II and the TLD Chest Protector. Neither of which were cheap, but, I plan on using them, if you catch my meaning. It came in last night and I've already figured out a few different configurations. Bottom line is that they work really well together. The chest protector is pretty sweet, comfortable, seems breathable and like it will stay put in a crash, and it has removable cutouts for the Leatt that make it fit really well. It even has a pocket in the back to slide the thoracic member into so you don't have to wear the strap. The protector even wraps around the side to protect the rib that I fractured last spring and I'm hoping that the shoulder cups are enough to protect the rotator cuff that I partially tore and the collar bone that I broke (same crash) last fall. There's no way this brace would have fit with my 661 Assault pressure suit. For fitting the two together... right now I'm thinking that the back of the neck brace obviously fits into the pocket that it was designed for and the front it seems best to slide just under the chest plate and keep the shoulder points of the brace just on top of the chest protector. I can't find any info from TLD on what they recommend. I haven't figured out yet exactly how I'm going to end up wearing it and am not positive that I've got the neck brace fit properly, it'll take some riding to do that and all the worthy trails around here are getting hammered with 40mph winds or under snow. There may be some photos coming if I feel motivated enough or if anybody expresses interest.

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 at 13:33 Quote
jackhud wrote:
FlyingFish wrote:
you dont think it could flex during an impact enough to make contact? it seems highly unlikely but strange things happen in crashes that are unexplainable*.

don't think so. There quite rigid. It wouldnt happen though its more likely to snap than bend

Some of them have a built in 'breaking' thingy which means that when you have a cras/big impact on your neck it absorbs the force by 'snapping' but actuallt its is built in but you do have to send it back to Leatt to get it ready for use again

Posted: May 21, 2011 at 10:44 Quote
i snapped my collar bone and broke a few ribs on sunday whilst wearing a leatt dbx comp 2.
landed head/shoulder first and properly knocked the wind out of myself.
im still trying to figure out if i would have been better with or without the leatt.
im more than likely going to continue wearing a neck brace but they have their bad sides to them. they can damage you in small/medium crashes, yet save your life on big crashes. you just have to figure out whats best for your situation.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 11:08 Quote
phil224 wrote:
i snapped my collar bone and broke a few ribs on sunday whilst wearing a leatt dbx comp 2.
im still trying to figure out if i would have been better with or without the leatt.
im more than likely going to continue wearing a neck brace but they have their bad sides to them. they can damage you in small/medium crashes, yet save your life on big crashes. you just have to figure out whats best for your situation.
The breaking of you collarbone is not caused by your Leatt brace. It has big cut outs where your collarbone would hit. This is a story going around but it is not true. You are always better off with your Leatt on.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 11:10 Quote
combee wrote:
phil224 wrote:
The breaking of you collarbone is not caused by your Leatt brace. It has big cut outs where your collarbone would hit. This is a story going around but it is not true. You are always better off with your Leatt on.

You are wrong. Period. 1, if he crashes hard enough, the brace will be pushed down enough to cause that to happen, and 2, he could have been wearing the 1st gen brace. This one is notoroious for breaking collarbones, and leatt said themselves that they used the collarbone as a load distributing force. I have a 1st gen, and its happened to me before.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 13:09 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
combee wrote:
phil224 wrote:

You are wrong. Period. 1, if he crashes hard enough, the brace will be pushed down enough to cause that to happen, and 2, he could have been wearing the 1st gen brace. This one is notoroious for breaking collarbones, and leatt said themselves that they used the collarbone as a load distributing force. I have a 1st gen, and its happened to me before.
I am not wrong, i aint talking about the first gens

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 16:00 Quote
It can still happen with the other ones, it depends how hard you crash. I've seen it happen firsthand many times.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 16:06 Quote
i have crashed couple of times digging hard into the dirt,the blow wasn't big enought snapping my collarbone.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 16:09 Quote
Yeah for sure, it really depends on the person's body, like how prominent their collarbones are. Mine are pretty prominent, so they're more open to it. Either way, collar bone is better than neck.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 16:15 Quote
For sure always better than breaking a neck,but im more worried about the thorasic part that rest on your spine.All though all the energy from the top of brace is transferd to the spine which is in my opinion not the best way to dissapate the load + it's a pressure point on your spine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010230
Mobile Version of Website