What's next

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
What's next
Author Message
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 at 15:08 Quote
I thought it was good, i enjoyed most of it except the street section but thats because I don't like street.
Does it really matter if he didn't use cable cam? Instead of copying the collective he is defining his own UNIQUE style and thats in the 'music video' type film, which is refreshing once in a while.

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
I thought it was good, i enjoyed most of it except the street section but thats because I don't like street.
Does it really matter if he didn't use cable cam? Instead of copying the collective he is defining his own UNIQUE style and thats in the 'music video' type film, which is refreshing once in a while.

Very true. It is good for a filmer to have his/her own style. Not copy someone else.

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 at 17:33 Quote
FaultLineMediaGroup wrote:
ih-sam wrote:
I thought it was good, i enjoyed most of it except the street section but thats because I don't like street.
Does it really matter if he didn't use cable cam? Instead of copying the collective he is defining his own UNIQUE style and thats in the 'music video' type film, which is refreshing once in a while.

Very true. It is good for a filmer to have his/her own style. Not copy someone else.

Even if that "style" is the easiest way, and uneventful?

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 at 17:44 Quote
I completely agree with each person having their own style, and the cable cam was just an example. There were some very nice shots, but they were few and far between.

I think what happened was that it was publicized so much and the trailer was so awesome that my expectations were very high and the film was just a huge disappointment for me.

Mod Plus
Posted: Oct 3, 2009 at 14:10 Quote
Wow. I'm sorry but I don't really see how it could possibly be a disappointment. If you'll consider first of all the budget difference from one of the ''major'' mountain bike movies ($250,000) compared to What's Next ($3000) what Aaron did was outstanding. I thought this was one of the best mtb movies I've ever seen. It tooled Kranked 8 and NWD 9. I like the fact that most of the stunts were unique to each riders seggie. It takes a lot of time and effort to produce a good seggie and if you are not riding bikes for a living it is a difficult process. Scoping, digging, testing and then shooting the finished product can take ages. The movie was made in under a year. Aaron put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into the finished product. I also thought that was the best movie soundtrack ever. Pretty much every song was perfect (except not a fan of Matt Brook's song). As far as filming goes it is one guy taking all the shots and not a team of 5 or more. The dolly, tripod and handheld shots were all well composed and there wasn't really any shaky shots at all. I'm pretty confused how you could call Aaron's style uneventful... helmet cams, cable cams and heli shots have their place but for a first movie on a miniscule budget this is groundbreaking. As well I find rider interviews annoying for the most part after the first time I've watched a movie. I think if you want to hear talking watch one of Clay Porter's movies. Aaron doesn't mess around. Sure it's good to hear the riders perspective sometimes but it is a bike movie for a reason. To see them ride.

What's Next = Best MTB movie of 2009 and one of the best all time.

Posted: Oct 3, 2009 at 22:44 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
FaultLineMediaGroup wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
I have nothing against the guy - in fact it's a dream of mine to produce short videos like his and become as well-known as him. But you're right - the riding was good, but seriously I didn't see much filming skill at all. Like you say, there were no interesting cable cam shots and nothing to grab my attention. And me being a musicican, I found all the music extremely annoying, almost like it was done on purpose.

I don't think you have it all, the filming was pretty sweet. He had some amazing shots in it.

I agree, but there weren't enough to grab your attention. When there was a good shot, you'd be like "finally". Unlike the Collective, Kranked, or NWD, where almost every shot is like holy shit.

you mean being in utah with a 10 person crew, a RED One HD camera, a helicopter, and some of the top riders in the world?

take the movie for what it was, the budget wasn't even a fraction of what kranked, nwd, and the collective have. Also the riders where people that Aaron personally contacted to be in the video. as for originality I think he did a great job, he kept the editing and post work a little less over the top then his sin city video maybe and there wasn't all the effects that kranked series has in it. But that shit gets played.

Found it was alot more creative and well thought out then alot of the NWD flicks, regardless if NWD has a loose theme in each, its about the riding not some weak joke.

I wasn't a huge fan of the music, but some of it was great and worked well.

Once again anyone who was expecting something at the same production level of one of the big budget movies should give their heads a shake, and maybe appreciate that they got to watch what some one divulged a year of his time to bring you for free.


I'm still anticipating Lifecycles even if it's been delayed like 3 years

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 at 0:42 Quote
The two guys above me could not be any more on the dot of what I think

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 at 3:01 Quote
I will agreee with the fact that for the budget you can't expect him to come up with something as good as The Collective. For $3,000 it's quite admirable. But I still didn't find it particularly interesting. Yes, there were some good shots. The sunset shots were copied from Seasons, but they were still nice shots. I thought the beginning of the film with the sponsor logos and the parts was incredible, I have to say. One thing that totally killed it for me was the music though.

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 at 7:36 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
I will agreee with the fact that for the budget you can't expect him to come up with something as good as The Collective. For $3,000 it's quite admirable. But I still didn't find it particularly interesting. Yes, there were some good shots. The sunset shots were copied from Seasons, but they were still nice shots. I thought the beginning of the film with the sponsor logos and the parts was incredible, I have to say. One thing that totally killed it for me was the music though.

Do you honestly think that Seasons was the first movie ever to include a shot of a sunset? ...lol.

I think Aaron did an amazing job of the film, budget considered or not. I don't view it as less than some of the bigger budget filming, just different. Sure helicopter/cable cams if well used are great, but that doesn't mean you can't get a spectacular shot with a camera and tripod.

The riding was great, filming and editing were great, and it was fun to most of the film shot around here. That rider intro with the camera on the boom of a bobcat was also amazing, haha.

Props Aaron, loved it, keep it up.

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
i thought the movie was really neat and i got pumped by watching it! I really think that Aaron Larock did a really good job, not just considered the low budget as mentioned but considered that he was ONE guy making it. Another thing which is great is that he brought some new riders in to the spotlight, who truely deserves it!

The movie was f*cking good, end of story!

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 at 19:54 Quote
jGell, I am well aware of the fact that Seasons was not the first movie with shots of sunsets, I was merely taking that as an example.

Personally, I like movies that tell us a story - like Seasons. To be watching 45min of just riding and no interviews, voiceovers, or anything is just boring. Yes I give Aaron props for doing it on such a small budget, bringing unknown riders into the spotlight, and then giving us the movie free to watch. But I got bored very quickly into it. My opinion.

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 at 20:59 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
jGell, I am well aware of the fact that Seasons was not the first movie with shots of sunsets, I was merely taking that as an example.

Personally, I like movies that tell us a story - like Seasons. To be watching 45min of just riding and no interviews, voiceovers, or anything is just boring. Yes I give Aaron props for doing it on such a small budget, bringing unknown riders into the spotlight, and then giving us the movie free to watch. But I got bored very quickly into it. My opinion.

Why don't other people understand this?

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 at 23:45 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
jGell, I am well aware of the fact that Seasons was not the first movie with shots of sunsets, I was merely taking that as an example.

Personally, I like movies that tell us a story - like Seasons. To be watching 45min of just riding and no interviews, voiceovers, or anything is just boring. Yes I give Aaron props for doing it on such a small budget, bringing unknown riders into the spotlight, and then giving us the movie free to watch. But I got bored very quickly into it. My opinion.

Why don't other people understand this?

It's called personal opinion, just like yours to dislike the video for petty reasoning. Can't please everyone.

Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 16:54 Quote
I thought it was bad ass. Anyone know the playlist from it?

Mod Plus
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
sloride wrote:
I thought it was bad ass. Anyone know the playlist from it?

Here they are. Also... just so ya know you can always check the ''Need song from MTB movie'' thread in the forum, it's pretty rad.

shiny toy guns - major tom
matt and kim - daylight
magic wands - black magic
Little Boots - Meddle
alex metric - deadly on a mission
Danger Mouse - Threat
Daft Punk - Superheroes (we plants are happy plants remix)
le tigre - TKO
Bat for Lashes - Daniel
Jay Z ft. Santigold - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Ladyhawke - Magic
TV on the Radio - DLZ
La Roux - In For the Kill (Skream let's get ravey remix)
The Kickdrums - love is a drug (Kolt13 remix)


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015727
Mobile Version of Website