Hammerschmidt on Reign X0

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Hammerschmidt on Reign X0
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 at 6:48 Quote
I decided to be a guinea pig put the Hammerschmidt system on my bike (08 reign X0 small). I had the bottom bracket properly faced at a bike shop and they also installed the bottom bracket. the bottom bracket once faced was still not flush with the ISCG mounts so spacers (washers) had to be used to get everything to line up (spacers of different thickness are supplied for this reason). The system fits on the bike ok but is not perfect. The crank system comes with a jig to see if it will fit on your frame and when it fits in the ISCG holes the arrow should point at the rear axle. On the reign it points slightly below the rear axle meaning the the ISCG tabs are rotated slightly rearward of the optimal position for this crank and shifting system. Due to this rearward rotation of the ISCG tabs the chain guide has to be in its most forward position and the inlet for the shifter is pointed in an up position, also the guide for the the cable hits the frame at the base of the shock. Cable routing on the reign is just about perfect, also if you buy the system make sure you get some cable housing since none is supplied. On my frame I switched around the front and rear shifting cable guides to make it work. the rear shifting cable now runs down the base of the top tube where the front shifting cable used to run and now the front shift cable runs down the top of the down tube where the rear shifter formerly ran. Overall the system works awesome. Except for the bottom bracket install I did everything myself. I only have a couple of rides on it but I think it works very well. I will try to get some pictures of the front cable guide where it hits the frame but since there is no movement in this area I don't think it should be a problem. There is some slight drag when you are in big ring mode but it is also the equivalent of 2 teeth larger than what I was running before. Also I thought there was some chain rub on the chain guide but it turns out it is just the noise from the planetary gears when running in big ring mode. I will try to get some pictures of it in the next couple of days. By the way I use the bike for all around riding in the East Kootenays, I don't do much shuttling or any big drops.

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 13:13 Quote
Sorry about the delay in replying but here you go. Just to let you know I'm no expert when it comes to bikes but here is my opinion anyway.
Question #1, X1 or X0, it doesn't really matter, which bike is in better condition? If the bikes are both used it really comes down to the one that was maintained better. Remember you're gonna be replacing half the drivetrain so if the chain or cogs are worn on the rear then you should probably switch those out as well. The two bikes are spec'd a bit different but the main difference is the rear shock, air vs coilover. Its your choice really. I use mine for all mtn riding so I went for the slightly lighter and more xc oriented air shock.
Question #2 How much did the hammershcmidt BB cost?, I think it was around $75. The whole shabang runs about $700. cdn.
Question #3 any problems after a few days riding? None so far, I only got about 3 good days riding but its been flawless.
Question #4 Facing the BB? THe facing of the BB is to make sure it is perfectly square to the frame and your ISCG mounts. It doesn't make it flush to the mounts in all cases. The Hammerschmidt crank comes with various spacers to make it flush with the mounts. Most, if not all shops should have a facing tool, if they don't, leave and find one that does.

Good luck

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
Both the fork and shock are air on the X0 and there are other upgrades so the X0 is a few pounds lighter than the X1.

Any pro bike shop should have BB facing tools but with a lot of personal experience in the industry I seriously doubt refacing a BB at a bike shop leaves it better than when it was done at the factory. To be honest its a service shops sell that is rarely needed unless your BB has been damaged. Its the kind of thing you want someone with plenty of experience doing it because it is definitely one of those things that can end up worse if not done correctly.

All facing the BB is going to do is clean off the paint if it wasn't done at the factory but now a days most companies cap the BB so the faces don't get powder coated.

I've been thinking about putting a Hammerschmit set up on my Reign 1. Doing so will require using an adapter... on the other hand I may pick up a Reign SX or Glory and upgrade the new bike instead.

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
I haven't heard of anyone mounting the hammerschmidt with an adapter (I'm assuming its an adapter because the frame does not have ISCG tabs), and its not recommended by Truvativ. But you seem to know what you're talking about. Good luck.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 9:25 Quote
brownstone wrote:
I decided to be a guinea pig put the Hammerschmidt system on my bike (08 reign X0 small). I had the bottom bracket properly faced at a bike shop and they also installed the bottom bracket. the bottom bracket once faced was still not flush with the ISCG mounts so spacers (washers) had to be used to get everything to line up (spacers of different thickness are supplied for this reason). The system fits on the bike ok but is not perfect. The crank system comes with a jig to see if it will fit on your frame and when it fits in the ISCG holes the arrow should point at the rear axle. On the reign it points slightly below the rear axle meaning the the ISCG tabs are rotated slightly rearward of the optimal position for this crank and shifting system. Due to this rearward rotation of the ISCG tabs the chain guide has to be in its most forward position and the inlet for the shifter is pointed in an up position, also the guide for the the cable hits the frame at the base of the shock.

The ISCG-OLD tabs on the Reign are misaligned. This is partially the reason why ISCG-05 was created, so that tab rotation, offset and thickness are all defined and that issues like this become extremely rare.

The 2010 ReignX has the same issue, where basically no chainguide will fit well. The '10 Faith and Glory look a bit better.

Davemud - The Hammerschmidt with adapter has been done on a Nomad : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=549255&highlight=hammerschmidt+adapter

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
I've got all the parts and over the winter plenty of time at the shop to try it.

Posted: Nov 27, 2013 at 2:24 Quote
Hey.So sorry for leaking in with an other subject! I need help. .Where can I buy hammerschmidt iscg collar bolts I only need bolts not the whole set with back plate. THank you

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012015
Mobile Version of Website