Santa Cruz Jackal or Transition Trail or Park?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Santa Cruz Jackal or Transition Trail or Park?
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
What is so unclear about that.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 16:48 Quote
cromoly is stronger than aluminum... one of the reasons is because steel can return to its original strength better than aluminum, which fatigues over time. but this is a rare case that a jackal may actually be a stronger frame than the top, since it weighs more.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 16:49 Quote
TOP is way more durable then the SC..check the transition website, top's can handle 8 inch DC forks, while jackals are recomended no more then 160mm

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
photo
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2074433/

How could ya say no to this beauty. I love the humb in the top tube. Never sacked my self (Knock on wood) an it is a lil heavy for a hardtail but i dont like the traditional frame look so went with the Jackal. But its just my opinion. To each his own.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 18:07 Quote
mattyoungpow wrote:
TOP is way more durable then the SC..check the transition website, top's can handle 8 inch DC forks, while jackals are recomended no more then 160mm

I wouldn't say longer fork length means more reliable. Geometry plays a huge roll in what's th best recommended.

Also, no bike that's made around a 100-120mm fork will feel good with anything over 150.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
sorry to say but your wrong... i ride 170mm on a jackal its amazing and the gemometry sits perfectly

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 19:42 Quote
Dr-Jackal wrote:
sorry to say but your wrong... i ride 170mm on a jackal its amazing and the gemometry sits perfectly

There's opinion and preference in there, but for the most part, most people hate the feel. I have a 150mm on a Hitman, and had a 150 on a Devinci. Both feel decent.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 22:09 Quote
Dr-Jackal wrote:

"perfectly"

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 at 14:01 Quote
HaggisOnABike wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
HaggisOnABike wrote:
I got the weight off Marz website and converted to LBS on a converter. Smile
4X '08 - 2345 gram = 5.16984004859 lbs
DJ1 '08 - 2588 gram = 5.7055633457 lbs

SOOOO you were right about the DJ and I was right about the 4X hahaha Big Grin

1: Those aren't the weights on the Marz website. Not even close.

2: Marz is notorious for posting incorrect weights in their literature.

3: I have both forks sitting at home and have weighed them both on precise Tanita digital scales.

Ah well you were right.

ive heard that marz weigh their forks without steerer tubes

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
hodgey wrote:
HaggisOnABike wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

1: Those aren't the weights on the Marz website. Not even close.

2: Marz is notorious for posting incorrect weights in their literature.

3: I have both forks sitting at home and have weighed them both on precise Tanita digital scales.

Ah well you were right.

ive heard that marz weigh their forks without steerer tubes

Only for the dual crown forks. They take the oil out of single crown forks.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
very good geo and light weight
also good for dj's

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 22:33 Quote
go with the top. super clean and small. even the large is really short.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 22:38 Quote
hard choice both are wicked bikes
but i think i would go with the TOP

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:12 Quote
well... i sold my jackal frame a few weeks ago because i was thinking of getting a tranny double or something like that. I decided to get a hardtail though and the TOP became my top choice (no pun intended). it has super low standover and LIFETIME crash replacement. The jackal felt super steady in air, and i rarely felt any flex. The one bad thing about the jackal is the cable routing on the top tube... such a bad location and those f*ckers are sharp! my knees still hurt.

Bottom line, im goin for the top you should too

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025008
Mobile Version of Website