Fox 40 problem help please!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 40 problem help please!
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 19:58 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
d-bax wrote:
69-bottlerocker-69 wrote:
no clue just took the springs out made sure the cartiarge was working put it back together and works fine

thats wierd, but my 40 was making a wierd clicking noise about halfway through the stravel and an annoying squeek in the last 2 inches, so i just took of the lowers and put them back on, and no more squeeking and clicking for me Big Grin

That clicking sound is your spring, as it compresses it can deflect off the inside o f the stantions,

I am thinking that you guys might need to be up on your maintenence a tad more though.

yea well i replaced the rubber wrap on the spring with shrink wrap and the soud is gone. and i maintain my fork well, i replace the oil every 2 or 3 rides and clean the seals and stuff. im not about to treat a 40 like crap!

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 20:06 Quote
d-bax wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
d-bax wrote:

thats wierd, but my 40 was making a wierd clicking noise about halfway through the stravel and an annoying squeek in the last 2 inches, so i just took of the lowers and put them back on, and no more squeeking and clicking for me Big Grin

That clicking sound is your spring, as it compresses it can deflect off the inside o f the stantions,

I am thinking that you guys might need to be up on your maintenence a tad more though.

yea well i replaced the rubber wrap on the spring with shrink wrap and the soud is gone. and i maintain my fork well, i replace the oil every 2 or 3 rides and clean the seals and stuff. im not about to treat a 40 like crap!

Cool, another tip for you, put an extra 1.5" of heavy duty electrical wrap about 2" from each end of the spring. It will be completely silent. Also make sure you used the heavy duty stuff in the center as well. Not that cheap thin sh!t.

Also what kind of oil do you use for lubrication?

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 20:07 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
d-bax wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

Cool, another tip for you, put an extra 1.5" of heavy duty electrical wrap about 2" from each end of the spring. It will be completely silent. Also make sure you used the heavy duty stuff in the center as well. Not that cheap thin sh!t.

ill try that next time it stars clicking lol.

i use fox 7wt oil. u?

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
d-bax wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
d-bax wrote:

i use fox 7wt oil. u?

That is the easiest, as it the same oil as in the damper. However I have heard of guys running 10wt. Deffinately needs to be a full synthetic oil. Make sure you use 50cc...alot of the older manuals and tech info says 40cc, but 50cc is what you should be running in both sides.....you will likely find that when you change the oil the spring side is always more dirty the the damper side...this is a side effect of the shrink wrap...so I usually change my damper side once for every three times that I change my spring leg. Saves a bit of money, time and crush washers.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
d-bax wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

i use fox 7wt oil. u?

That is the easiest, as it the same oil as in the damper. However I have heard of guys running 10wt. Deffinately needs to be a full synthetic oil. Make sure you use 50cc...alot of the older manuals and tech info says 40cc, but 50cc is what you should be running in both sides.....you will likely find that when you change the oil the spring side is always more dirty the the damper side...this is a side effect of the shrink wrap...so I usually change my damper side once for every three times that I change my spring leg. Saves a bit of money, time and crush washers.

dont worry, i know how to service my fork. the oil on the spring side is alwayd waay dirtier than the damper side, so sometimes i just do the spring side

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
d-bax wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

i use fox 7wt oil. u?

7wt oil is NOT what is in the Damper. Its 10wt. 7wt in the legs.

50cc's is the correct amount.

Shrink wrap is what is best suited to wrap the coil in if you feel you need more then the single piece that comes on the coils. Tape generally comes off, and starts unpeeling because its saturated in oil. It also really annoys the tech's when they pull out a spring and its got tape all over it Wink

Spring side certainly gets dirtier then the cartridge. At the same time that your doing this I'd advise pulling the foam wipers out of the dust seals at the top of the lower legs, cleaning and re-lubing them. You can change the oil all you like but if these do not get cleaned and lubed you'll end up wearing through stanchions. And those suckers aren't cheap.

Glad to hear you got your problem resolved.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 at 15:38 Quote
ThatFoxGuy wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
d-bax wrote:

i use fox 7wt oil. u?

7wt oil is NOT what is in the Damper. Its 10wt. 7wt in the legs.

50cc's is the correct amount.

Shrink wrap is what is best suited to wrap the coil in if you feel you need more then the single piece that comes on the coils. Tape generally comes off, and starts unpeeling because its saturated in oil. It also really annoys the tech's when they pull out a spring and its got tape all over it Wink

Spring side certainly gets dirtier then the cartridge. At the same time that your doing this I'd advise pulling the foam wipers out of the dust seals at the top of the lower legs, cleaning and re-lubing them. You can change the oil all you like but if these do not get cleaned and lubed you'll end up wearing through stanchions. And those suckers aren't cheap.

Glad to hear you got your problem resolved.

Sorry your right, the oil in the damper is silkolene 10wt.

But who said anything about using tape?

I am not going to take my lowers off every 2-3 days of riding to clean and relube the foam rings and seal. I just pull the springs on the wipers up and run a bussiness card around the inside of the seal and flip the bike upsidedown with clean oil in there and let the oil saturate the foam rings, this technique has worked on Motorbikes for years. I understand that stuff can get sucked in there and understand how much the stantions cost, as I was never told to turn mine and wore grooves into them, yet another piece of advice that was missing for the tech manuals of fox. So it cost me a set of stantions, but you know experience is gained mostly through trial and error, even if your shown how to do something.

Just my 2cents.

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 at 7:01 Quote
If you properly maintain your fork there is no reason to turn your stanchions, thats probably why its not in there.

Apparently running a card around them isnt enough if you'd had to replace a set already?

Once you have both foot nuts off, you just pull down on the lowers, they come off...

Take the foam wipers out, clean them, relube them and stick them back in. As it says in your owners manual.

And someone ( You ) mentioned taping up your coil to make it quieter.

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 at 7:22 Quote
ThatFoxGuy wrote:

actually, he called for wrap, not tape.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 at 15:03 Quote
ThatFoxGuy wrote:
If you properly maintain your fork there is no reason to turn your stanchions, thats probably why its not in there.

Apparently running a card around them isnt enough if you'd had to replace a set already?

Once you have both foot nuts off, you just pull down on the lowers, they come off...

Take the foam wipers out, clean them, relube them and stick them back in. As it says in your owners manual.

No I said use a heavy wrap, which if we use the language that we all agree to use (english) it can only be interpreted as Shrink "Wrap", not tape....which does sound completely different, and I never used the words electrical tape, duct tape or innner tube either.

As for the rest of it, you know it all there "That Fox Guy" and my 5 years of experience with fox suspension count for nothing.

Cheers.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008894
Mobile Version of Website