GOLF is an Olympic "sport"?

PB Forum :: Downhill
GOLF is an Olympic "sport"?
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 15:40 Quote
wrongway wrote:
I don't think anything of what's mentioned above is the reason.
The thing is - DH/4X/DJ is a sport with a jackass/daredevil image.
Remeber Missy "Missle" Giove...
"After their arrest, the truck was searched, and Ms. Giove Canoriego property, which was found 181kg of cannabis, its packing materials, money counter, drug and other accessories to more than one million dollars in cash. Now the former champion of the world threatens to sentence a minimum of 5 to 40 years in prison and fines of up to $ 2 million."

Here is the answer, it just has too much negative to it.

with all due respect, i think you are incorrect in this assumption. its the geography, and the technology variations that'll keep DH out of the olympics.

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 15:43 Quote
obee1 wrote:
wrongway wrote:
"After their arrest, the truck was searched, and Ms. Giove Canoriego property, which was found 181kg of cannabis, its packing materials, money counter, drug and other accessories to more than one million dollars in cash. Now the former champion of the world threatens to sentence a minimum of 5 to 40 years in prison and fines of up to $ 2 million."

with all due respect, i think you are incorrect in this assumption. its the geography, and the technology variations that'll keep DH out of the olympics.

I agree. The image of road cycling has been destroyed with performance enhancing drug use, but its still there. The reason is as ,pointed out already, is geography...

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 16:14 Quote
geography doesn't really matter for 4x though. just a wee hill then the rest can be built.

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
any location can build a big man made hill.

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 16:20 Quote
RelentlessRider wrote:
geography doesn't really matter for 4x though. just a wee hill then the rest can be built.

4X was in the Bejing Olympics

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 16:22 Quote
Fullsussersrock wrote:
RelentlessRider wrote:

BMX was in the Beijing olympics...

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 16:22 Quote
Fullsussersrock wrote:
RelentlessRider wrote:

cool i never knew that. i thought it was only bmx and xc plus track etc

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 16:33 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
Fullsussersrock wrote:
RelentlessRider wrote:

BMX was in the Beijing olympics...

yeah and it was pretty sick to

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
fantaman wrote:
any location can build a big man made hill.

are we all talking about the same thing here? downhill mountain biking? right? not 4x. dual slalom is more fun then 4x imho anyway. digression.
but back to downhill mountain biking. fanta person, when you say

any location can build a big man made hill

are you referring to a venue that would host a DH course?

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 4:48 Quote
build a hill? are you stoned?

they could maybe have an urban DH race, but the idea that they could build a hill is ridiculous.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 4:50 Quote
he's not being serious...

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 5:33 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
obee1 wrote:
wrongway wrote:

I agree. The image of road cycling has been destroyed with performance enhancing drug use, but its still there. The reason is as ,pointed out already, is geography...

geography hasnt got much to do with it, look at the olympics in beijing people where taveling for ages between events like the sailing. i agree thats its technology variations that will keep DH out of the olympics

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 7:48 Quote
geography hasnt got much to do with it, look at the olympics in beijing people where taveling for ages between events like the sailing. i agree thats its technology variations that will keep DH out of the olympics[/Quote]

A-yes they "were". they were travelling for ages which is quite inconvenient for the collective spectators, which is a negative for choosing a host COUNTRY. Which leads to...
B- it was still in the same country. besides 1956, it has always been in the same country i believe. so if the geography in a potential host country doesn't offer a venue for the events(which would be numerous for DH racing), then they would have to go to another country. And i don't think the IOC is too crazy about that.

interesting discussion fellas, but i think the olympics are kind of archaic anyway. i think that mixed martial arts will find itself in the olympics before DH racing as well. anyone familiar with the olympics history would be familiar with pankration, as it was a very popular sport in ancient greece, and was in the olympics a long time ago. but, then there is that violence factor which gets some peoples panties all bunched up. so who knows.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 7:53 Quote
Golf makes more money.

Thats what it comes down to, entirely.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 7:59 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
obee1 wrote:
wrongway wrote:

Not to mention XC racing being distroyed with all the tight fitting lycra, rapid rise derailleurs and brain shock technology, oh and doping! But seriously I think that it can be done...my reason. Look at the 2010 winter Olympics...lots of the events are in Vancouver but all the skiing will be at whistler. There is no reason that DH can't make it in...after all look how well Freecaster covers the world cups! I mean if you talking about venues, well I guess London is going to have a few issues with DH, but for most places it will work. As far as technology on the bikes....well it happens in XC, so who cares...the best man will win. Canberra proved that, people with their lock-outs and stuff like that, and Peaty takes it on his usual steed. I say bring it on. As soon as we get DH in the olympics, then we will all get more National funding for racing, and it will raise the game for everyone.

Now, how to convince the most corrupt sporting body in the world (IOC) to allow DH as a demonstration sport.

Ah, maybe I am wrong. If so see picture of cat pushing watermelon in photo albums.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013795
Mobile Version of Website