GOLF is an Olympic "sport"?

PB Forum :: Downhill
GOLF is an Olympic "sport"?
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:01 Quote
Oh Yeah, events have to be held in the country, its not so much an issue of the city, london olympic sailing will be going on in plymouth i believe? if a country doesnt have enough resources to put together a Dh course, perhaps it shouldnt be considered to host the games.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
My thoughts exactly, Host country must accomidate all sport disipline requirments.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:14 Quote
Sorry guys I just want to Rant on for a moment again. Difficulty with the technicallities of DH? Imagine that a counrty gets the games, but has no Golf Course...so they set out to build a million dollar gold course (and thats on the cheap side) so that idiots can watch a bunch of "athletes" hit a little white dippled ball around acres and acres of grean land, that take millions of gallons (conservative estimate) of water to keep green while the rest of the population can't afford or get clean drinking water, and drop the ball into a CUP! All the sudden the rough image and technicallities don't seem so insurmountable.

Golf sucks, and that's my bottom line. I played as a kid, but you wouldn't catch me on a golf course now. Just another game for the IOC big wigs to place bets on with all their rich buddies. I mean no point in betting on the 100m race...Bolt is going to win, that one is a given and the 10k, forget it too boring and takes to long. They NEED DH for their wagers, that is how we will sell it to them IOC morons.

The Olympics is just Human horse racing for rich a-holes. I do respect the true Athletes, don't get me wrong there. That is why I put way more stock into World Champs of sports then the Olympics.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:21 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
My thoughts exactly, Host country must accomidate all sport disipline requirments.

Yes, but it won't make as much money as other sports therefore they won't consider it. End of the day thats what it comes down to...

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:31 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

Yes, but it won't make as much money as other sports therefore they won't consider it. End of the day thats what it comes down to...

A sad fact indeed.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:34 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

i dont think thats it especially considering what other sports are in the olympics

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:36 Quote
Erm...such as what....shooting? horseriding? these sports all cost obscene amounts of money..

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:38 Quote
Well he does have a point...how much many does it cost to chuck a spear or jump into a pit of sand.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:40 Quote
Yes, but the sponsors bring vast amounts of money into those sports, DH is barly even comparable

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:41 Quote
notallowedtoswear wrote:
i dont think thats it especially considering what other sports are in the olympics

All the sports in the olympics, track and field, shooting archery, rowing etc, all have massive followings with huge advertising revenues. DH simply does not have that. Its relatively a new sport, we have only had a World Cup and Champs since the early nineties, other sports have been around for 100s of years with massive reputations and followings again, something DH doesn't have. It won't make much money and the ratings will probably be amongst the lowest in the games so why risk running it as an event. Do we really want to get into the Olympics and watch it fall flat on its face and make an eejit of the sport, no we don't. Given time it might get in there, but now, not a chance...

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:49 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
notallowedtoswear wrote:

All the sports in the olympics, track and field, shooting archery, rowing etc, all have massive followings with huge advertising revenues. DH simply does not have that. Its relatively a new sport, we have only had a World Cup and Champs since the early nineties, other sports have been around for 100s of years with massive reputations and followings again, something DH doesn't have. It won't make much money and the ratings will probably be amongst the lowest in the games so why risk running it as an event. They we really want to get into the Olympics and watch fall flat on its face and make an eejit of the sport, no we don't. Given time it might get in there, but now, not a chance...

100 years!...spear chucking has had a strong following since the dark ages. Anyway, I hear what you say, BUT! have you ever been to whistler? have you seen how many 4k+ bikes are rolling around. There is huge incentive for sponsors and advertising revenues when you consider how many kids 12-17 that are rolling on 4k+ bikes, not just at whistler, but every mountain that has lift access.

Is Tae Kwon Do still in the Olypics? I remember when that was a demostration sport and these guys were almost knocking each other out, WITH FULL HEAD GEAR ON, especially if the guy getting kicked was slow to get his block up.. That sh!t hurts, believe me and people eat it up. So that being said, DH with all it specatcular crashes should draw a crowd.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:56 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:

100 years!...spear chucking has had a strong following since the dark ages. Anyway, I hear what you say, BUT! have you ever been to whistler? have you seen how many 4k+ bikes are rolling around. There is huge incentive for sponsors and advertising revenues when you consider how many kids 12-17 that are rolling on 4k+ bikes, not just at whistler, but every mountain that has lift access.

Yes, but go to any running event, which will get more exposure because it has a massive following, generates more advertising money and has a big reputation, and look at all the dudes rocking Asics or Puma running shoes and Nike or Adidas running gear worth a good amount. Thats massive advertising.

Also, there is a big amount of guys who are on the bikes at mountains with lift-access, but thats because its a huge attraction to those places. All the sponsors care about is whats on screen and if there product is been shown. There is thousands of kids slapping down huge wads of cash for bikes, but the sponsors won't care because they won't be on camera.

Simple thing is, DH won't generate the cash and the ratings so therefore, won't be in the Olympics, unfortunately...

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 8:57 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
notallowedtoswear wrote:

All the sports in the olympics, track and field, shooting archery, rowing etc, all have massive followings with huge advertising revenues. DH simply does not have that. Its relatively a new sport, we have only had a World Cup and Champs since the early nineties, other sports have been around for 100s of years with massive reputations and followings again, something DH doesn't have. It won't make much money and the ratings will probably be amongst the lowest in the games so why risk running it as an event. They we really want to get into the Olympics and watch fall flat on its face and make an eejit of the sport, no we don't. Given time it might get in there, but now, not a chance...
surely dh has more sponsers than a modern pentathalon and softball

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 9:01 Quote
notallowedtoswear wrote:
]surely dh has more sponsers than a modern pentathalon and softball

Pentathlon will generate huge sponsorship purely because of the amount of events in it. Softball, which is modified baseball, which is huge, will have a big following because many baseball fans will watch it. Also, its being dropped for the next Olympics which may show a sign that it wasn't doing anything. Again showing that if its not making money the IOC won't accept it...

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010040
Mobile Version of Website