2010 Glory 00 Build Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2010 Glory 00 Build Thread
Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 8:25 Quote
frango wrote:
Nobble wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
Im looking at getting an fsa orbit option headset, what reduction should i get? Local trails are a real mix, some super steep some quite flat. Im tempted to get the 1.5 but i dont want to waste £90
don't buy the FSA angleset, they're incredibly unreliable. If you want an angle adjusting headset buy a real angleset.

Well, maybe not "incredibly unreliable", but not the best "option" Wink It's really hard to set them properly, indeed. Check K9 Industries or Works components for tapered anglesets.
okay, they're not unreliable per se, but they are almost impossible to get tight. The wheel always has a bunch of play.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 13:21 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
I would just buy a cane creek but theyre expensive and i doubt i will ever use the adjustability. Anybody had any experience with K9 or Works offset headsets?

CC angleset has similar problem as FSA Blank Stare
Check 2011 or 2012 Glory thread for fixed angleset opinion.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 13:30 Quote
frango wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
I would just buy a cane creek but theyre expensive and i doubt i will ever use the adjustability. Anybody had any experience with K9 or Works offset headsets?

K9 is no more so they'll be hard to find. I own a works and so far its working like a charm.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 13:48 Quote
frango wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

actually, it doesnt. It has a gymbal design which is different to the FSA and probably patented. I know loads of people who run anglesets with zero issues.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:13 Quote
Nobble wrote:
actually, it doesnt. It has a gymbal design which is different to the FSA and probably patented. I know loads of people who run anglesets with zero issues.

Actually, it does. I've read about similar problems with CC as with FSA.
The main difference is, that CC uses regular bearing and them gimbals while FSA uses bearing with spherical outer surface. CC has got more moving parts.
What patents has got do with clicking!? Big Grin Very confused

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:25 Quote
The reason the FSA is not as good is because cane creek have patented the best way to do it.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:26 Quote
Nobble wrote:
The reason the FSA is not as good is because cane creek have patented the best way to do it.

One of the more insightful and useful comments I've seen to date.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:30 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Nobble wrote:

yep lol

It's just like the whole compression ring deal they had with king a while back.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:30 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Well, clearly your comment is not as valid as his because his was first.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:31 Quote
Nobble wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Nobble wrote:

yep lol

It's just like the whole compression ring deal they had with king a while back.

So the FSA doesn't use a compression ring? Or is it really not like that at all?

Feel free to explain your dislike of the product.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:37 Quote
Cane creek have a patent on the "right" way to make an angle adjustable headset. FSA dont want to pay cane creek to do it their way so they are forced to use a different design which relies on the cups being perfectly aligned, unlike The angleset which has a gymbal to Accommodate for slight misalignment of the cups.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:40 Quote
So align your headset correctly?

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:46 Quote
It's not quite that simple, the upper and lower cups need to be perfectly parallel. If you've ever done any machining, you'll know that it's impossible to do anything perfectly, it's more a question of close enough.

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:48 Quote
I hear that. Thank you for the information. Salute

Posted: Nov 27, 2012 at 14:49 Quote
Whats the difference of having to align a FSA perfectly and having to align a K9 or Works perfectly?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011108
Mobile Version of Website