RaceFace purchased by MEC Co-op to become in house brand, LBS gets screwed

PB Forum :: Other
RaceFace purchased by MEC Co-op to become in house brand, LBS gets screwed
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 11:18 Quote
Have y'all heard the news? RaceFace has been purchased by Mountain equipment co-op. Consequently their Canadian distributors have dropped them and local bike shops will no longer be supplied. MEC will use RF as their in house brand for their new line of bicycles. What does this mean? Well now you'll be able to get RF at MEC for half of what it cost previously and your local shop will be unable to compete with them. Now when you buy RF, you'll be directly helping to put bike shops out of business! After two decades of loyalty from Canadian shops that helped make RF what they are today, RF is bending them over and putting it in an uncomfortable place! Who will they screw next? YOU!

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
Thank god their components suck Razz

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 11:21 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Thank god their components suck Razz
+1 Atlas FR cranks haven't done me too bad but that's about it.

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
Where's the press release/proof?

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
crohnsy wrote:
Where's the press release/proof?

The industry and shops got it yesterday! Should be all up in your face next week Razz

Mod
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
I haven't seen any info on this anywhere other than pinkbike.. hmmm. Seems rather odd.

As long as they keep making atlas stuff I'll be happy. Prices will be like half the cost.

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 16:48 Quote
Hey guys! Just a follow up to the previous messages to let you all know that these informations a completely TRUE. I own a bike shop and I have receive a message today from Race Face previous distributor (Cycle Lambert), that confirms the purchage by MEC.

Also, it says that you will no longer be able to get your Race Face products warranty through your bike shop as of november 26 2009. Here is a part of the official press release (sorry guys, only in french...) that all bike shops have received:

LAMBERT CESSE LA DISTRIBUTION DES PRODUITS RACE FACE

Lévis, Québec, 23 octobre 2009 - Lambert annonce aujourd’hui qu’elle met fin immédiatement à son entente de distribution canadienne avec les produits Race Face.

Race Face a récemment informé Lambert de son intention de distribuer ses vêtements, protections et composantes à Mountain Equipment CO-OP (MEC). Lambert est très déçu de la décision de Race Face à ce sujet. Dû à l’entente de partenariat entre Race Face et MEC, Lambert se voit dans l’obligation de cesser sa relation commerciale avec l'entreprise.

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 16:53 Quote
Hey guys, just found the english press release:

Lambert Ends Race Face Distribution
Friday, October 23, 2009 - Lambert announced today that it has terminated its Canadian distribution agreement with Race Face, effective immediately.

Race Face recently informed Lambert of its plans to sell its apparel, armour and components to Mountain Equipment CO-OP (MEC). Lambert is very disappointed with the decision Race Face has made in this matter. Due to Race Face's realignment with MEC, Lambert ceased its business relationship with the company.

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 18:24 Quote
Well I guess Ill go Shimano/Pro for my new build!...

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 18:28 Quote
lambert wouldnt deal with the shop where i worked before. now we can get there stuff. we will be the only dealer in town now it sounds like

Posted: Oct 24, 2009 at 6:31 Quote
Guess I'll go for Shimano/Pro too for next year. With they're new awesome Atherton series parts, my futur bike will be pretty cool!

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 7:05 Quote
Mine will be SRAM all the way! hahaha...

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 7:13 Quote
NO, Mec did not purchase RF and I read the message. MEC will be selling their products which means the distributor Lambert gets no action out of it. Lambert dropped RF and is acting like a cry baby and franckly I hate the distributor system in Canada which in the end makes for higher prices in our LBS. I get the same parts in the U.S. for far less and I manage to pay no duty with low shipping charges. MEC has also Shimano & Sram parts, you don't see Lambert dropping them do you? Just a bunch of fu**ing control freaks.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 7:21 Quote
October 23/09 19:25 pm - Lambert Ends Race Face Distribution

Canadian bicycle component distributor Cycles Lambert announced today that it has terminated its Canadian distribution agreement with Race Face, effective immediately.

Race Face recently informed Lambert of its plans to sell its apparel, armour and components to Mountain Equipment CO-OP (MEC). Lambert is very disappointed with the decision Race Face has made in this matter. Due to Race Face's realignment with MEC, Lambert ceased its business relationship with the company.

The importance of specialty retailers for Canadian cyclists is undeniable. Lambert remains firm in its commitment to channels avoiding an every day low price strategy which brings down reasonable market pricing. Lambert will continue to privilege brands that support this same business direction.

Procedure for Apparel
Lambert representatives will contact their Race Face IBD clients over the course of the next few days to confirm whether or not they wish to maintain their Race Face Spring/Summer 2010 apparel Booking orders. If IBD clients wish to maintain their orders, Lambert will ship them as promised. If IBD clients no longer want to carry Race Face apparel, Lambert will cancel their orders.

Procedure for Components
All 2010 Booking orders received so far, including Hot Sheets, Show Special and Spring Booking orders, will be delivered as requested upon product availability. As of Monday, October 26, 2009, IBD clients will no longer be able to place a Booking order of any Race Face products through Lambert. Lambert will accept Season orders until its inventory depletes completely. Finally, please note that Lambert will honour warranties until November 26, 2009.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
I agree that the distribution system drives prices higher but by buying all of your parts in the US you aren't helping to lower Canadian prices and you are making it way more difficult for your local bike shops to stay in business which hurts all of us in the long run. Plus it's true that you can illegally bring things into Canada without declaring them and avoid paying duties and taxes but when you get caught it will cost you a lot more in the long run. What we should be doing is building good relationships with local bike shops that are willing to price things at a competitive level and support our own bike industry.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010621
Mobile Version of Website