Why does my helmet look so big?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Why does my helmet look so big?
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 4:09 Quote
ed-d wrote:
mccaw wrote:
Was looking into getting a d3o beanie pretty clever stuff!
they dont do much. after all, its just a beanie which goes hard when you hit it. it isnt rigid or anything, it will still flex so you will still feel it quite a bit.

It goes hard when you hit it, as in rigid, it spreads the impact over the whole surface instead of it being in just the one place

Ive looked into them and they look rather decent, i know its different but alot of snowboarders use them.

Also they did a test with a dude wearing them, the hit him on the head with a shovel and he was rather unfazed, looks like enough protection for me for just dirt and street riding.

661 are using this alot in there padding now aswell so must be half decent Razz

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 4:34 Quote
where can you get those beanies from? they sound awesome!

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 7:03 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
where can you get those beanies from? they sound awesome!
http://www.hardcloud.com/product/ig059d3whgn.asp

Search 'd3o' on youtube theres loads of videos explaining and testing it Big Grin

Heres one of them:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDeJ7rLUYU

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 7:23 Quote
awesome, I'd heard of D3o but didn't know they made Peruvian style hats with the stuff in, that's totally gonna replace my full face for dh now! should match my corduroys, loggers shirt and no-gloves riding apparel a treat!

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 7:32 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
awesome, I'd heard of D3o but didn't know they made Peruvian style hats with the stuff in, that's totally gonna replace my full face for dh now! should match my corduroys, loggers shirt and no-gloves riding apparel a treat!

I wouldnt let it replace a fullface for DH, and its not all about looks Razz

Id say if your riding street though and you want protection that is more discrete then its the way to go

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 11:43 Quote
the big problem with d3o is that its not effective in crashes where you need penetration protection - for example hitting a rock

I have 661 d3o knee guards and 661 d3o elbow guards and you soon find if you hit something very hard or sharp, it can penetrate the guard and cause injury, despite the d30 material stiffening on impact

our 661 rep suggested using their Race knee/shin or Kyle Strait knee (which have a plastic cap inside) for rocky courses or North Shore style timber stunts

a helmet works in 2 ways - by the shell preventing the ground from penetrating into the liner, and from the polystyrene foam liner cushioning the skull to reduce the impact to your brain

for snowboarding, where you are generally not smacking your head on hard surfaces like dirt or rocks (you will get some rocks on certain Alpine terrain) the d3o beanie makes sense

for Mountain Biking, specifically DH and FR, you really want the extra protection of a hard shell helmet with polystyrene foam liner

as helmets are disposable after a crash, and considering the very high cost of d3o products, it would make no sense to offer a hard shell helmet with a d3o liner, it would be heavier than a foam liner as well

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 11:50 Quote
maybe because ur head is skinny or small

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010530
Mobile Version of Website