Which First Mountain Bike?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Which First Mountain Bike?
Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
Hunterg15 wrote:
xcrisx wrote:
better components.

dont get hung up on one aspect of the bike. better forks will mean crappier brakes and wheels and cranks etc. try to find a bike without too many compromises.

i guess but is that worth the 240$ difference. i mean im not saying im gonna go buy a 150$ mongoose but it just doesnt make sense to me.... :/

think of it this way, is a honda civic going to have the same offroad ability as an army hummer? same sorta thing with bikes

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 17:51 Quote
I think, given his budget, it'd be like the difference between a Smart car and a Subaru. Good offroad, but not great since it's an entry level MTB.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 17:56 Quote
hamina777 wrote:
I think, given his budget, it'd be like the difference between a Smart car and a Subaru. Good offroad, but not great since it's an entry level MTB.

haha ya, but my analogy was in general, not just his situation

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 17:59 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
Hunterg15 wrote:
xcrisx wrote:
yes, it is worth the difference.

the £240 will be spread over a large number of parts. even a few dollars can make the difference between a good brake and crap one, same goes for the rest of the parts.

well the old mongoose i have that was around 160$ has very good brakes and front suspension.

sorry, but no it doesnt. it has adequate brakes and forks. take that bike on a purpose built mtb trail and it will kill you.

well first of all, it probably wood because im not awesome at mountain biking because i just started. and second of all, i created this thread to have advice on which of the two bikes to spend, i dont have alot of money to just spend on a mountain bike.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 18:09 Quote
Hunterg15 wrote:
xcrisx wrote:
Hunterg15 wrote:

well the old mongoose i have that was around 160$ has very good brakes and front suspension.

sorry, but no it doesnt. it has adequate brakes and forks. take that bike on a purpose built mtb trail and it will kill you.

well first of all, it probably wood because im not awesome at mountain biking because i just started. and second of all, i created this thread to have advice on which of the two bikes to spend, i dont have alot of money to just spend on a mountain bike.
yeah but atleast get a mountain bike like a hardrock that is somewhat good quality and mostly upgradable until you get good enough to change frames or what not, the bikes you mentioned are pieces of crap wal mart specials

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 2:22 Quote
Hunterg15 wrote:

we know that and we're trying to help you. you have to accept that $300 is not a lot of money in mountain bike world. you can get a decent 2nd hand hardtail for that or a well ridden susser maybe, but when you start looking for a new bike for that money youre not going to get very much.

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 5:40 Quote
Anyway I tried Hardrock the other day, one of my friends bought it for his daughter. It's prety light, accelerates quick - probably because of light wheels and tires; and has that typically good Specialized geometry - stable in corners, easy to bunnyhop: it's a fast bike.

Marin also seem to have some good offerings in that class, atleast overhere.
What about Fuji or Scott, they are also decent in that pricerange.

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
what about a 2010 mongoose fireball for 400? is that decent?

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
Specialized Hardrocks aren't bad and most of them come with disc brakes. For safety's sake, don't try to ride a full suspension from Wallmart though. Anyway, $450-500 will get you a Hardrock with discs, but consider checking out the Rockhoppers too.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45757&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 19:18 Quote
corey-dh wrote:
whats with you and mongoose. check this outhttp://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/brass.1/6111/37852/

how much are the 1 & 2?

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 19:25 Quote
i dunno maybe 650ish for the 1, 500 max for the 2

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 19:26 Quote
bbuutttt if you went for giant you might as well
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/glory.0/5445/37871/
your looking at maybe 5-6 grandd

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
mcmbike wrote:
Specialized Hardrocks aren't bad and most of them come with disc brakes. For safety's sake, don't try to ride a full suspension from Wallmart though. Anyway, $450-500 will get you a Hardrock with discs, but consider checking out the Rockhoppers too.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45757&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

if i was u id go with this one

Posted: Oct 27, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
i think thats a little out of his budget and at that price the discs are only going to add weight, not performance. a good set of V's will be better and lighter.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014348
Mobile Version of Website