Transporting a DH Bike on the plane?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Transporting a DH Bike on the plane?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
Hey Peeps!

I will most probably go to whistler next May/ June and I was wondering how to transport my DH bike down there!? (I'm from Quebec, so driving is NOT an option!)

Now I have 2 options, either bring my Jamis Dakar Bam 2 or bring my Devinci Hektic 2...
I know the Devinci would probably be easier to transport but if I'm gonna be at Whistler, The Jamis would probably be my best bet!

So for the people who have already taken a plane ride with a DH Bike, are there extra fees? did you have a special travel case? please let me know!

Tank's!

Regards

James

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
you could go to a bike shop and ask them for one of the boxes which the bikes are delivered in.
its probably the cheapest option but i dunno about the airline policies

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:47 Quote
Hiya, I took a freeride type rig to Australia flying British Airways/Quantas and packed it into an Avenir bike bag http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/109179.html

Quantas and BA are brilliant with their policy: it goes free. Returned via Singapore Airlines and their fees were extortionate so I ended up having my folks send it back as freight.

My bike suffered minimal damage but still, any damage annoys you and the bag has rips where the bag has clearly been dragged and slid about and the cassette has worn away at the bag.

Some airlines supply their own boxes.

Overall, quite happy with taking it on a plane just package it well; can't comment on Canada's baggage policy though.

Mod
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 14:50 Quote
The largest bike box/bad that conforms to airlines baggage size limit is the Dakine Bike Bag. It is slightly larger than the rest of the cases/bags available. The Glory below is in a Serfas travel case which is about the same size as the other "smaller" cases on the market. All that means is that you can't have too many spare parts and you need to be creative with packing. Also, there might be some excess assembly you'll have to do. I like the hard shell cases to protect my bike but I know several people who have used the Dakine bike bag without issues.

Westjet charges $100 to bring a bike. I can’t remember what Air Canada charges but it was substantially more. Also, if the bike case/bag weighs more than the allotted weight per piece of baggage, you’ll have to pay extra for that. You’re allowed one checked bag and one bike before you get dinged with a fee for having an extra bag.

photo

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 16:47 Quote
I've heard of people of shipping bikes out to places where they are going. I guess you could ship it to where you are staying or maybe the local bike shop. Obviously you would want to call and talk to them about it and set things up. My buddy shipped his bike from florida to colorado for under 50 bucks. Just and idea take if for what its worth

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 17:00 Quote
SthFRider wrote:
I've heard of people of shipping bikes out to places where they are going. I guess you could ship it to where you are staying or maybe the local bike shop. Obviously you would want to call and talk to them about it and set things up. My buddy shipped his bike from florida to colorado for under 50 bucks. Just and idea take if for what its worth
Now if every bike shop let someone ship their bike to there shop, the shop would be crowded and filled with random bikes.

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
SthFRider wrote:

Yeah, a lot of hotel's will do this.

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
If you go to your lbs, they can find a shop in Whistler and ship your bike out there. All you would have to do is hop on the plane and go to the shop to pick up your bike. But then you might need some time to set it up right...

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 17:35 Quote
This year I flew out to Whistler from Toronto by Air Canada. I took my Devinci Wilson with me. Stopped by the lbs and picked up a generic Kona cardboard box (not dh just a reg box). I used duct tape on all the corners, sides and around the handles and then covered everything in packing tape. Took the fork, front wheel, handle bars and derailleur off, wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it all in the box. Put in all my pads and everything (everything) around it. I had a 70 pound weight max and it was $50 each way. I phoned in and registered my bike as well. No issues other than the doors to the car rental desks were too narrow for the box to fit through on the cart in Van.

Posted: Oct 26, 2009 at 17:40 Quote
my Uncles other nephew showed up at the airport with his bike, told them he was going to ride his bicycle in the mountains. so they bubble wrapped the bike and it was good too go. something like $50 i think to get it each way. had no problem with damages.

though getting a bike box would be best.

Posted: Oct 27, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
Thank's for the quick responses, I believe I will ship it directly to the hotel then back at my house after usage!

James

Mod
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 at 12:17 Quote
I woudln't ship it to a hotel. That's just asking for your bike to be stolen and no one to be accountable/responsible for it.

Posted: Oct 27, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
yeah they would just put it somewhere and nobody would be really looking after it or anything. i would find a store that would be okay with you shipping your bike too them. though they might charge you a little bit for the hassle of it.

Posted: Oct 27, 2009 at 13:33 Quote
What "mr-wilson" says is correct. Air Canada is $50 each way. You must register you bike with the airline to ensure that they have space for your bike otherwise it may get bumped. Take the air out of your tires as the change in air pressure in the cargo bay may cause them to burst. Don't worry about the hydraulic brake fluid. Google how to pack a bike for plane transport for packing ideas. Cardboard bike box is the way to go.

Mod
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
dhpig wrote:
Take the air out of your tires as the change in air pressure in the cargo bay may cause them to burst.

Cargo holds are pressurized on all modern-day planes. Otherwise, there would be issues with items under pressure like hairspray.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012126
Mobile Version of Website