show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 11:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
FabianJ wrote:
My main points are that I wouldn't want my bike to be any lighter, if it sacrifices durability

And my point is that you doesn't always sacrifice durability for weight.

No, only your wallet.

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 11:43 Quote
am I not allowed to like ?
fredro wrote:
fredro wrote:
Why did you quote yourself???

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 11:58 Quote
FabianJ wrote:
seraph wrote:
FabianJ wrote:
My main points are that I wouldn't want my bike to be any lighter, if it sacrifices durability

And my point is that you doesn't always sacrifice durability for weight.

No, only your wallet.

Yes, but that's not a good argument. It's a given that upgrades are going to cost you money.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 12:02 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
FabianJ wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:

Alright so what's your point....

Yes I'm obsessed with all of my bikes, yes making a bike lighter is an obsession. I find modifying the details of my rig really fun. Yes I do stupid shit on my bike, yes I break shit and have broken many frames... I still don't see what's wrong about wanting a little bit snappier of a pedal stroke.

The most noticeable upgrade would be a set of semi slick rear and a grippy front. That gives you a snappy pedal stroke.

Also lighter wheels. The stock ones are really not very strong compared to a weight over 2 kg. I blended my rims on the first run, that's why I changed them. I didn't want enve as is fiured the m60/40 where to narrow in their 24mm inner width. Bars, cranks all that won't make a difference.

All good points. I have hope/MK3 wheels right now, not really digging the MK3 rims. A bit soft for me. The Minion SS is on my shopping list. This is how I have it built up, however I have a BOS Deville 160 on the front currently.

photo

I think the Minion SS really depends on the type of riding you do and where you live. I put one on my Bronson and I can't wait to take it off. On the steeper trails I ride here in Utah, it has absolutely no braking traction. Good cornering traction thanks to the Minion side nobs, but only once you have the bike leaned pretty far over. Even on trails where I would expect it to shine like slick rock in Moab, I've been disappointed. It rolls fast, but the downsides just aren't worth it to me. I also nailed the rim on a square edge hit (yes my fault), and it punctured a snakebite straight through the center of the tread when I had just 50 or so miles on it. I'll be putting one of the new Aggressor WT 2.5 on to replace it. Also FYI paired with a Minion DHF up front.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 12:24 Quote
tgent wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:
FabianJ wrote:

The most noticeable upgrade would be a set of semi slick rear and a grippy front. That gives you a snappy pedal stroke.

Also lighter wheels. The stock ones are really not very strong compared to a weight over 2 kg. I blended my rims on the first run, that's why I changed them. I didn't want enve as is fiured the m60/40 where to narrow in their 24mm inner width. Bars, cranks all that won't make a difference.

All good points. I have hope/MK3 wheels right now, not really digging the MK3 rims. A bit soft for me. The Minion SS is on my shopping list. This is how I have it built up, however I have a BOS Deville 160 on the front currently.

photo

I think the Minion SS really depends on the type of riding you do and where you live. I put one on my Bronson and I can't wait to take it off. On the steeper trails I ride here in Utah, it has absolutely no braking traction. Good cornering traction thanks to the Minion side nobs, but only once you have the bike leaned pretty far over. Even on trails where I would expect it to shine like slick rock in Moab, I've been disappointed. It rolls fast, but the downsides just aren't worth it to me. I also nailed the rim on a square edge hit (yes my fault), and it punctured a snakebite straight through the center of the tread when I had just 50 or so miles on it. I'll be putting one of the new Aggressor WT 2.5 on to replace it. Also FYI paired with a Minion DHF up front.

Specialized Slaughter is my favorite tire of all-time. I can only imagine the Maxxis iteration will be just as good. Where I ride in Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire, there's tons of loam, soft dirt, tacky dirt, and mud. Not too much of that hard pack and sand. I am very much a bike leaner in terms of riding style, so the side knobs are perfect for my riding style. I'd love to try the aggressor too though.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
tgent wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:

photo

Specialized Slaughter is my favorite tire of all-time. I can only imagine the Maxxis iteration will be just as good. Where I ride in Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire, there's tons of loam, soft dirt, tacky dirt, and mud. Not too much of that hard pack and sand. I am very much a bike leaner in terms of riding style, so the side knobs are perfect for my riding style. I'd love to try the aggressor too though.

Nice, glad you've tried it out and like it. It's a very interesting tire for sure and some love it and some hate it.

Posted: Jun 6, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
FabianJ wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:

Yes I'm obsessed with all of my bikes, yes making a bike lighter is an obsession. I find modifying the details of my rig really fun. Yes I do stupid shit on my bike, yes I break shit and have broken many frames... I still don't see what's wrong about wanting a little bit snappier of a pedal stroke.

photo

I built up my Tallboy 2CC to 25.8 lbs nearly 4 years ago, nothing special, yes it felt light. But slowly over the last 4 years I have replaced light parts with better parts that make the bike ride better and it so much more fun and inspires confidence. It now weighs in at 32.5lbs and i can't really say i notice any difference in climbing.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 5:27 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
FabianJ wrote:
Stayslacking wrote:

photo

What saddlebag setup is that? Looks nice and minimal.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
It's actually a tube wrapped up and secured using a voile ski strap

http://www.voile.com/aluminum-buckle-straps.html

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 10:25 Quote
Leaving the being a weight weenie discussion aside just cos people are talking about their bikes not building up as light as they thought FWIW my bronson that I've built to be light weighs a (real) 27lbs (and I didn't have to sell any organs) Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 14:50 Quote
billyno wrote:
Leaving the being a weight weenie discussion aside just cos people are talking about their bikes not building up as light as they thought FWIW my bronson that I've built to be light weighs a (real) 27lbs (and I didn't have to sell any organs) Smile

Nice! CC or C build?

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 16:08 Quote
Matchy matchy
Got all matchy matchy with my new dhx2.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 16:43 Quote
Fluoro orange seat collar would look ace on there.

Posted: Jun 7, 2017 at 23:07 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
billyno wrote:

Nice! CC or C build?

C but 2015 so same as CC, bought 2nd hand and swapped out various heavy bits with replacements mainly also bought used and slackened with an offset headset so it's @ current geo. Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2017 at 8:05 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
Matchy matchy
Got all matchy matchy with my new dhx2.

X2 looks so good with the blacked out decals. I dig it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029125
Mobile Version of Website