show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 8:54 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
sosburn wrote:
i have gx eagle on my other bike and its had no issues aside from when i bent the shit out of the derailleur cage.

i know for sure that on either build i will want to take the sram brakes off and put a set of XTs or Zees on there. also going with reserve wheels on either just for that extra peace of mind with warranty, but i kinda feel like the lighter frame and drivetrain arent really worth the extra 1300$ or so to me
I'd throw on an x01 derailleur, that way it bends your hanger instead of your derailleur

it bent both the derailleur cage and completely snapped the derailleur hanger, i dont think anything would have save it that time (whipped over a gap and a tree branch snagged the derailleur)

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 9:02 Quote
The derailleur isn't the sexy part of the drivetrain IMO, it's the cassette and the chain. If you swap those two out it'll last longer and shift better in the meanwhile, and that's vastly less money than aftermarket upgrading to lifetime warranty carbon wheels.

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 12:17 Quote
First ride with the new XTR 4pot brakes. Coming from a Formula Cura, I'm impressed by the power they have and the silence they bring. Just waiting for the Absolute Black chainring to come for my XTR cranks.

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 13:00 Quote
Does anyone have a Bronson in aluminum version? I am waiting until March for my frame and I am curious how the bike looks like Smile

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 14:27 Quote
sosburn wrote:
So im in kind of a cool(?) position in that i have a decently paying job, dont pay rent, and dont have a ton of expenses, at least for the next 1.5 years while i finish my undergrad.
after that, i will be unable to work and will basically be living off student loans for 4 years while i finish my DVM. So im thinking i should buy a new complete SC over the summer so that i have a problem free bike going into grad school, my only issue is im not quite sure which build kit to go with, kind of stuck between a GX build with reserve wheels or an XO1 build. thought about going all out and getting the XTR reserve, but its a lot of money....
sorry end rant

I was in a pretty similar situation recently. Couldn't decide whether to get the 5010 in the GX or X01 build. In the end I decided I was going to get the X01, in part because of the CC frame even though everyone says it doesn't make a difference, but also just for better brakes and suspension. Like yourself, I also like Shimano brakes and ideally would want to swap the fork out immediately for a 36 at 140mm, possibly doing a trade with the shop. So when I really sat down and looked at the cost and the extra I was going to spend initially on top of the build, it didn't make any sense.

The outcome is that I ordered a frame only. For roughly the same price or possibly even less than the X01 build, I'll be on a CC frame with factory Kashima shock, Factory Kashima 36, transfer dropper, full XT groupset (went for a Sunrace cassette though) and Hope/DT wheelset. Maybe not everyones cup of tea and you could argue the benefits of X01 over XT or vice versa but for me it's a much better deal (shimano fanboy).

Even if you saved some money and put SLX on instead of XT, you still have the good frame and suspension as a base to upgrade better parts onto in the future.

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 14:55 Quote
niconj wrote:
First ride with the new XTR 4pot brakes.

photo

photo

I really like the looks of the calipers...nice!

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 15:14 Quote
kwapik wrote:

Thanks. Certainly better than the Saints! I will have to have some more rides on them to compare them to other brakes I've ridden. So far, they seem to be very good.

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 18:16 Quote
I would try the new 4-piston calipers with the BR-M9000 Race levers to nix the Servo Wave. If the new XTR M9100 shifts nice it might make its way onto my next MTB build.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 23:02 Quote
magik666 wrote:
Does anyone have a Bronson in aluminum version? I am waiting until March for my frame and I am curious how the bike looks like Smile

Yeah I've build a few at work. They're an awesome frame. Not a light weight bike at all though. 33 pounds or so.

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 0:06 Quote
seraph wrote:
I would try the new 4-piston calipers with the BR-M9000 Race levers to nix the Servo Wave. If the new XTR M9100 shifts nice it might make its way onto my next MTB build.

As far as I know, the 9100 levers push less fluid and don‘t work with the 4 piston calipers.

The XTR shifts well!

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 0:46 Quote
Anyone invisiframed their black 2019 Nomad Mk4?

What kit did you go for, matte black or gloss? Assuming matte but just wondering

photo

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 6:36 Quote
mischieff wrote:

What kit did you go for, matte black or gloss? Assuming matte but just wondering

photo

Yes on Friday I built mine and used the matt kit

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 7:20 Quote
kwapik wrote:
niconj wrote:
First ride with the new XTR 4pot brakes.

photo

photo

Sick HTLT! Are the new xtr 4 pistons available in the US yet? On the fence between some Hope Tech e4s and the new XTRs.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 9:13 Quote
i feel like they would perform considerably better with some actual shimano rotors. just sayin.

ALSO i borrowed my friend’s 2019 5010 xo1 reserve again yesterday, and i had my current bike as well so we were able to do a little testing on a shortish local trail that has steep bits, a couple biggish jumps and a collection of different corner styles. I hate to say it but i preferred my hightower for literally everything, including messing around on some jibby stuff afterwards. the XL 5010 felt so small to me that i no longer feel like i could justify spending that much cash on one, which was odd cause it didnt feel all that small when i rode it 20 miles before thanksgiving. sad.

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
mischieff wrote:

photo

So who is your favorite? Shimmer or Shine? lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017605
Mobile Version of Website