show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 22:57 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
Chameleon fat tire front 3” rear? Might be fun if the powders not too deep.

maybe studded

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 1:14 Quote
Ain't gunna work for any real level of snow. People around here don't even bother unless it's 4.0+, but we do get hella snow. A lot of our customers don't consider the Kona Wozo a real winter use bike as it can't get bigger than a 3.8 in the rear.

Would be fine for sloppy/muddy riding.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Yeah everyone around here uses 4”-5”tires. Guess I’m going to have to grab another brand. Anyone have any recommendations? I’m definitely not going to get a full suspension as it will only be for snow fun days.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 10:10 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Yeah everyone around here uses 4”-5”tires. Guess I’m going to have to grab another brand. Anyone have any recommendations? I’m definitely not going to get a full suspension as it will only be for snow fun days.

surly is good

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
Surly is wack, heavy as f*ck and you don't want a steel frame in winter.

Coworker went through a dozen or so fatbikes, including a 20lb flat apollo, before getting a Cannondale FatCaad and saying it's the best he's had.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
Surly lol

Yh totally winter friendly lol

Plus excessive cost for what is essentially a catalogue steel frame with just extra mounts added for racks

And as said heavy as f

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
I guess I never thought about having a steel frame in the winter. I guess if the trails have been groomed it might be OK but for powder riding I can see that being a problem. I definitely am going to keep my eye out. I honestly don’t wanna spend too much on the bike since it really will not get as much use.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Surly lol

Yh totally winter friendly lol

Plus excessive cost for what is essentially a catalogue steel frame with just extra mounts added for racks

And as said heavy as f

thats what people ride around here.
how about instead of shit talking, make a recommendation?

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 15:54 Quote
They musta bought into the whole bearded gimp look then

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 16:10 Quote
As a bearded gimp, no thank you.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
Lots of those here lol.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
I have a 2018 Nomad C S, bought it last year, absolutely loving it, and really not much complain about anything. However, I'm thinking to do some upgrade. Can't decide between suspension ( fork and rear shock), or a set of carbon wheels and nice hubs. What you guys think it's the better choice? I feel fine with the stock fork and rear shock , so don't know what to expect from those more fancy options out there. Never rode carbon wheels before, not sure if they worth the money. My daily riding is up and down at North Vancouver , few times in other place in BC and Whistler bike park every year.
Any advices are welcome.
Thank you. Wink

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
DK00 wrote:
I have a 2018 Nomad C S, bought it last year, absolutely loving it, and really not much complain about anything. However, I'm thinking to do some upgrade. Can't decide between suspension ( fork and rear shock), or a set of carbon wheels and nice hubs. What you guys think it's the better choice? I feel fine with the stock fork and rear shock , so don't know what to expect from those more fancy options out there. Never rode carbon wheels before, not sure if they worth the money. My daily riding is up and down at North Vancouver , few times in other place in BC and Whistler bike park every year.
Any advices are welcome.
Thank you. Wink

If you are absolutely loving it I wouldn’t change nothing take the money you would’ve spent put it in a savings account and go on a big bike trip.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
DK00 wrote:
Any advices are welcome.
Thank you. Wink

If you are happy with the susp, then I would go with the wheels, if you are going to spend the money. I just upgraded the shock on my HTLT to a Factory DPX2 and it made a big improvement to the bike's susp. I would like to have a set of Factory forks, but honestly, the Perf 36 Fox works really well. I had a set of Factory 34's on my Tallboy, and though I feel like they were a little smoother, the difference is not enough to warrant the spend.

I was debating on upgrading the susp on my other bike, and opted for a set up SC Reserve carbon wheels on closeout at Colorado Cyclist. Now, that was a big improvement! And, I had a set of relatively light I9/Stans Flow wheels on prior. Both wheelsets use I-9 hubs. The carbon added another level of susp like suppleness and compliance. Changes directions like a smaller wheel bike now, especially with some lighter tires. Really pleased with them.

Now, if I knew I was keeping my HT, I would update the fork first as I am not that enamored by the Rockshox that is on it. I just don't like it, comparatively.

Both are nearly equally important for me. I "have" to have a high engagement hub now, and I have to have good susp. Too many years on Chris King hubs and too old to get my teeth chattered constantly and knocked off line by a fork that doesn't track.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
DK00 wrote:
Any advices are welcome.
Thank you. Wink

carbon wheels are a pretty solid upgrade. a lot of people would argue that a santa cruz C/S build with Reserve wheels is a very nice and solid set up.

if you already ride in vancouver and whistler every year i think you're better off upgrading your bike than saving for a vacation.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011926
Mobile Version of Website