show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
I liked the DHR on the rear. For me, rolling resistance between tires is subtle. I don't think I could tell if tires held me up on a loop or a difference in how I feel. Maybe I am just old. Haha

I know everyone is all about Maxxis, and I was/am top, thought I tried not to be as their dirt bike tires suck, but these Bontragers I am running now have me forgetting about Maxxis. I am thoroughly impressed. Roll well too.

Worth a $50 experiment, IMO.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
nicket8t wrote:
Hans rolls faster than the DHF for sure. Not quite as much grip, but sheds mud and corners really well. I never had traction issues with a hans dampf. High roller on the back isn't a bad move (less rolling resistance than the DHF/DHR) but I feel like they wear quickly in the back and don't hook up on wet roots/rocks when climbing. I've never loved any maxxis tires for rear tires but you can't beat a DHF or high roller on the front in my opinion.

I have a DHF on the back and its taken so much rock abuse and keeps on rolling...Even if its slower. But I was being cheap and used my front tire on the back. I am open to durable rear tires that roll

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 14:02 Quote

Been refining this bike some lately since selling my Hightower. Bought a new seat, long overdue, new tires, wheels, etc. Also added a Wolf Tooth oval chainring once learning the 12 speed really needs a 12 spd ring to keep from wearing it out prematurely. I tell ya, I will never run a round ring again. Difference is subtle, but feels like a more natural stroke. I thought I may go 51 tooth in the rear, but with this will be able to stick with 45.

Just keeps getting better.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
Yep! The oval chainring does make a huge difference. I love mine as well.

And while I do love the DHR for a rear wheel with grip it is noticeably slower. However, it never slips on slippery roots or rocks while climbing - ever. I don’t even think it’s possible and I love that lol. So I may just keep riding them despite them being slower and I guess I’ll have to get stronger to get back to beating my old PRs on the Ardents.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
I actually just found a High Roller for less than $40. May be worth a try?

For what it's worth I absolutely hate High Rollers (only tried in the rear, don't want to die by putting one on the front). In the past couple years I've tried most Maxxis offerings: DHF 2.3 and 2.5wt, Aggressor, Assegai, DHRII(2.3 and 2.4wt all in the front and DHF 2.3, Aggressor, DHRII 2.3 and 2.4wt, High Roller, Ardent, and Aspen. I also live/ride in Utah so our terrain consists of buff single track in Park City to harsh rocks in Moab.

After trying a lot of combos, I run a DHF 2.5wt in the front and DHRII 2.4wt in the rear.

A few notes on all the tires, obviously much of this comes down to feel and opinion:
- DHF - Great front, and I'd say mid rolling resistance and high grip. Holds up well and a great size particularly in 2.5wt. Lacks braking traction on the rear, but does roll faster than the DHR.
- DHRII - Great rear, high rolling resistance and high grip. Also holds up well and also a great size in 2.4wt, I'm a bit limited with a Bronson V2 that lists the max clearance in the rear as 2.3 and the 2.4wt fits just fine (I've also run 2.5wt and wouldn't recommend it). Great rear tire that is predictable and has good braking traction for really steep trails. Also holds up really well and I have yet to puncture any Exo+ casings without it being repairable. Only downside is the rolling resistance.
- Aggressor - Nice combo of mid rolling resistance, and mid grip. Got absolutely destroyed (I went through 3 in about 4 months) and just didn't hold up to enduro riding. Also not good on front as it would break traction unpredictably. Good rear if you're looking for something with less rolling resistance than DHF/DHR and easy on tires.
- Assegai - Extremely high grip and extremely high rolling resistance. It was fun to ride because the grip is insane, but so heavy and noticeably slower than even a DHF. I would only suggest for a lift/park only bike or downhill bike.
- High Roller - low grip, mid rolling resistance. I was blown away by the difference in grip between everything above here and the high roller, the high roller had so little grip I couldn't believe it. It would also break away seemingly randomly, and didn't seem all that much faster rolling. I hate this tire.
- Ardent/Aspen - Low grip, low rolling resistance. I've only ridden these a few times because they don't fit my terrain
or riding style. I will say they are nice and light and do seem to roll significantly better than everything above and could be a good option, particularly for a rear tire.

Sorry this turned into a novel, but hey it beats the hell out of work.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
gmoss wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

If you are going to spend $40 for an iffy tire, why not spend $50 and try the Bontrager XR4? I will buy it off of you for a minimal loss if you do not like it.

I'll definitely give it a shot - where have you found them for $50?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
gmoss wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

If you are going to spend $40 for an iffy tire, why not spend $50 and try the Bontrager XR4? I will buy it off of you for a minimal loss if you do not like it.

Trek shops have em for $55. 29x2.4 XR4 wieghts 780g. Its a sleeper of a tire! Try one out if you haven't ridden one before. Then if you dont like it return it to the store and bontrager has their guarantee for 30 days on their products.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
nubbs wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Trek shops have em for $55. 29x2.4 XR4 wieghts 780g. Its a sleeper of a tire! Try one out if you haven't ridden one before. Then if you dont like it return it to the store and bontrager has their guarantee for 30 days on their products.

Niiice! I'll swing by a shop this weekend and give it a try. A 30 day satisfaction guarantee is hard to beat lol.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
nubbs wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

Niiice! I'll swing by a shop this weekend and give it a try. A 30 day satisfaction guarantee is hard to beat lol.

Do I need to be looking for any specific type of compound like Maxxis rates theirs with Exo, Exo+ and DD?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 12:20 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
nubbs wrote:

Do I need to be looking for any specific type of compound like Maxxis rates theirs with Exo, Exo+ and DD?

Nope. Just make sure it's this tread. The old tread is still around in some shops I am sure. For a more robust tire you can grab the SE4 thats the same tread just stronger, heavier casing. those weigh like 900 something grams.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 12:59 Quote
Awesome - I'll swing by this weekend and try it out. Thank you!

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
gmoss wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

The local Trek store matched this price for me when I bought the 2nd one.

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/bontrager-xr4-team-issue-tubeless-ready-mtb-tire-29-inch-366536-1.htm?variations=248702,248650&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5dPuBRCrARIsAJL7oeh2TTrpzpmw2BmcH93g99zkC5yZHG4hIjYY2GG6UvJ0XKRT5ogj8fUaAg68EALw_wcB

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
nubbs wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
gmoss wrote:

I did not realize they did that for tires. They told me that when I bought my saddle. Good to know, and thanks for picking up my slack while I was away from my phone and computer. LOL

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012724
Mobile Version of Website