show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 9:05 Quote
seraph wrote:
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:

I'd never call P321 hubs "very light" lol

I'm no expert on hubs, so I may very well be wrong. I just looked up a few for reference. P321 rear is 282g, i9 Hydra is 286g, and a DT Swiss 240S is 232g all per their sites...

Actual weight on a 240 is closer to 220g. But the flange difference on the 240 vs the 321 is so drastic that they're hardly comparable to a wheel builder.

Nice, thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm no expert on wheels, so this is great info for me. So you mean the flange is larger on the 240s and that's better for wheel building, I'm assuming overall wheel strength?? What kind of hubs do you recommend? I've always been a big fan of I9 especially the new Hydras, and Onyx, but haven't ever been able to get over how heavy they are.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:
tgent wrote:

I'm no expert on hubs, so I may very well be wrong. I just looked up a few for reference. P321 rear is 282g, i9 Hydra is 286g, and a DT Swiss 240S is 232g all per their sites...

Actual weight on a 240 is closer to 220g. But the flange difference on the 240 vs the 321 is so drastic that they're hardly comparable to a wheel builder.

Nice, thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm no expert on wheels, so this is great info for me. So you mean the flange is larger on the 240s and that's better for wheel building, I'm assuming overall wheel strength?? What kind of hubs do you recommend? I've always been a big fan of I9 especially the new Hydras, and Onyx, but haven't ever been able to get over how heavy they are.

The flange on the 321 is way larger than that of the 240. The 240 is lightweight because it's got small flanges, but small flanges equals longer spokes which means flexier wheels, generally. High flange, short spoke, stiff wheel.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
I'd much rather have a few grams at the center of the wheel than at the tire. If you run a heavier burly tire, all but negates any difference in these hub weights, IMO.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I'd much rather have a few grams at the center of the wheel than at the tire. If you run a heavier burly tire, all but negates any difference in these hub weights, IMO.

Well me too, but all things else being equal, I'll take the lighter hub.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
tgent wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Well me too, but all things else being equal, I'll take the lighter hub.

eh, for such little difference, I go with what I know and would not give weight a thought. Both are good though. Have support my local folks at I9. Wink Support has been great.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
One of the guys I work with has a coil megatower, comes in at 35.3 and isn't even running DD tyres. Crazy

Couple of guys have Hightower's and they come in around 31 in size l

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
Has anyone done the bushing to bearing swap on their bike? If so, your thoughts and what brand did you use?

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 9:56 Quote
sam264 wrote:
One of the guys I work with has a coil megatower, comes in at 35.3 and isn't even running DD tyres. Crazy

Couple of guys have Hightower's and they come in around 31 in size l

I remember seeing figures at mtbr claiming the dif between mega vs ht2 frames being something like 14g

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
Some slight changes. Coil front and rear, Cascade Components link and some bits and pices from Intend.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
Easily the nicest Megatower I've seen Drool

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
cough *Monstertower* cough

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
seraph wrote:

Thanks. As whattheheel said. It's a Monstertower. Big Grin 160/170 coil suspension works a treat.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
seraph wrote:

Hold my beer, I will try to outdo him

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
going for the Cascade linkage next i presume?

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:
going for the Cascade linkage next i presume?

He already fitted that

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007119
Mobile Version of Website