show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
tgent wrote:
sosburn wrote:
tgent wrote:

Wait, I see what you're saying now, the 2020 Bronson really has an updated lower link? I was under the impression it was the exact same as 2019?

Same, i had not heard of any new link. The V3 as i rode it when it first was released was plenty progressive imo, to the point where i felt a cool shock would be a perfect addition

I just went on a wild-goose-chase looking into this. Here's what I found.

The only real spot I could find people discussing it on an MTBR Forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/2019-santa-cruz-bronson-v3-1081992-9.html

The forum references this interview with a SC engineer, and they thought he referenced a "first iteration of V3 Bronson": https://nsmb.com/articles/interview-2020-hightower-lead-engineer-eamon-briggs/

Here's the referenced 1st iteration question and answer: The first iteration of the new Bronson was very supportive in the mid stroke, which some people enjoyed (me for example) but others felt was too much. How does the HT compare in that regard?
Answer: The HT is also designed to be supportive in the mid stroke, but the HT curve is really more similar to the Megatower

This is literally all I could find, and as you can read in his answer above he makes NO mention of a second iteration Bronson link. IMO this is just guesswork by people and SC has never stated that the 2020 Bronson has an updated link...
I promise you that it does Wink however SC are trying not to make a big deal about it. Some people found that the Bronson 3 was too linear and bottomed out too easily so some months back they re-designed the lower link to make it more progressive and so all 2020 Bronson's now have the new link. Anyone with the older one should be able to get the upgrade from their SC dealer. It's fairly similar to what the Cascade link achieves without the increase in travel. But I guess nobody on here has worked it out yet Wink

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
sam264 wrote:
tgent wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Same, i had not heard of any new link. The V3 as i rode it when it first was released was plenty progressive imo, to the point where i felt a cool shock would be a perfect addition

The only real spot I could find people discussing it on an MTBR Forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/2019-santa-cruz-bronson-v3-1081992-9.html

The forum references this interview with a SC engineer, and they thought he referenced a "first iteration of V3 Bronson": https://nsmb.com/articles/interview-2020-hightower-lead-engineer-eamon-briggs/

Here's the referenced 1st iteration question and answer: The first iteration of the new Bronson was very supportive in the mid stroke, which some people enjoyed (me for example) but others felt was too much. How does the HT compare in that regard?
Answer: The HT is also designed to be supportive in the mid stroke, but the HT curve is really more similar to the Megatower

This is literally all I could find, and as you can read in his answer above he makes NO mention of a second iteration Bronson link. IMO this is just guesswork by people and SC has never stated that the 2020 Bronson has an updated link...
I promise you that it does Wink however SC are trying not to make a big deal about it. Some people found that the Bronson 3 was too linear and bottomed out too easily so some months back they re-designed the lower link to make it more progressive and so all 2020 Bronson's now have the new link. Anyone with the older one should be able to get the upgrade from their SC dealer. It's fairly similar to what the Cascade link achieves without the increase in travel. But I guess nobody on here has worked it out yet Wink

Source??

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
tgent wrote:
sam264 wrote:
tgent wrote:

Source??
Like I said, they don't want to shout about it, you'll just have to trust me. The two are visibly different side-by-side.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
notthatfast wrote:
tgent wrote:
sam264 wrote:

Source??
Like I said, they don't want to shout about it, you'll just have to trust me. The two are visibly different side-by-side.

Any word of this on the Nomad? I personally wish it was more progressive, but thats just me.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
notthatfast wrote:
tgent wrote:

Source??

Any word of this on the Nomad? I personally wish it was more progressive, but thats just me.
Nope. I always felt like the Nomad was pretty progressive anyway. Again the Cascade link will do that for you, and increase the travel. As far as I'm aware doesn't void the warranty either.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
notthatfast wrote:
tgent wrote:
sam264 wrote:

Source??

Why wouldnt they want to announce something like that? Orbea did literally the same thing on the rallon and made it aftermarket capable so anyone who wanted one could have one without dropping another 4k for a frame. Seems kinda suspicious if its only discussed in one comment on mtbr and nowhere else

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 14:44 Quote
sosburn wrote:
notthatfast wrote:
tgent wrote:

Source??

Why wouldnt they want to announce something like that? Orbea did literally the same thing on the rallon and made it aftermarket capable so anyone who wanted one could have one without dropping another 4k for a frame. Seems kinda suspicious if its only discussed in one comment on mtbr and nowhere else

Yeah this is BS as far as I can tell.

He has no source for this information.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 21:05 Quote
Both set up for the upcoming season. 34.5 lbs for the mega and 30.3 for the tallboy. Also if anyone has a raceface aeffect r35 stem in 50mm that was a take off from your bike and you want to sell it for like $30 lmk.

photo
photo

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
those are both sick but man, those silver Pikes really do it for me

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
Austink wrote:
Both set up for the upcoming season. 34.5 lbs for the mega and 30.3 for the tallboy. Also if anyone has a raceface aeffect r35 stem in 50mm that was a take off from your bike and you want to sell it for like $30 lmk.

photo
photo

Absolutely killer looking bikes. Interesting the Mega weighs in that heavy with such a high end X01 build. I'm looking at the same build and was hoping it would be closer to the ~32 lbs their website estimates. What size is it, if you don't mind me asking?? and how to do you mind the weight?

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
nubbs wrote:
sosburn wrote:
notthatfast wrote:

Yeah this is BS as far as I can tell.

He has no source for this information.

Ah yes, the 'ol "trust me" card. I'll ask my LBS who would know and report back, but ya still thinking that's BS.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
SC dealer here. Haven't asked a rep specifically about it, but nobody here heard of it and my boss said it's almost certainly false. I cannot confirm but I have my doubts.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
tgent wrote:
Absolutely killer looking bikes. Interesting the Mega weighs in that heavy with such a high end X01 build. I'm looking at the same build and was hoping it would be closer to the ~32 lbs their website estimates. What size is it, if you don't mind me asking?? and how to do you mind the weight?

It is a large. I am guessing the weight difference is because I have cushcore front and back (1.4 lbs there) and the pedals (0.8 lbs). With that subtracted we are close to the advertised.

I also have cushcore xc in the tallboy, so that with the pedals as well explain why it is over 30 when they list sub 30.

The mega does feel a little porky on uphills and mellow stuff, hence why I built up the tallboy, but I really don’t notice it when going downhill. It isn’t a bike you need to muscle around too much since it likes to plow straight through. I have done 25ish mile xc type rides on it and it was fine too. The only thing I actually felt that made me work more was having heavy tires.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
How's the tallboy been for tamer trails?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019060
Mobile Version of Website