show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:05 Quote
gmoss wrote:
There are different dog bone knuckles like this for dirt bikes. As said, they change the progression and can improve performance, depending on the application. Long shocking, I am with you, buy the next in line.

All good points, and I can't argue with people wanting to add progression. It does seem that SC undershot the amount of progression in a lot of their bikes, particularly the bronson in which they are fixing themselves with that allegedly updated 2020 linkage.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
At least for my usage, I don't need more travel, I would like to have more freedom to run another shock. Over long descents, the DPS will be limited. And today 190x45 shock option is low.
I heard people running 190x50 to get a bit more travel that's why I mentioned it, although it's not my first concern.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
tgent wrote:
TheLittleFox wrote:
Hope they offer a new link for the Tallboy soon. Would be nice to be able to fit other shock length, and get a bit more travel to match a bigger fork.

I truly don't understand this, so asking for peoples thoughts, not bashing the people that have done it already. What's the point of people wanting to add travel to these bikes? If you want a bike that's more capable than a tallboy, buy a hightower. If you want a bike that's more capable than a hightower and can run a coil, buy a megatower. If you want a bike that's more progressive and longer travel than a bronson, buy a nomad... I feel like SC already has these segments really well covered, but lots of people are looking to add travel/progression on bikes that aren't really designed for it. I understand fine tuning but it seems these wouldn't be as popular if that was all some people were doing.

At the end of the day, to each their own obviously, who cares what I think, it's your bike. Just trying to understand why these links seem to be so popular.

Good question. For me, I kept the stock shock length so the 7mm travel increase wasn't my real goal. Im fine with the Nomad as it is for travel. But, more progression, better kinematics and longer chain stays is what Im after and so far the difference is pretty noticeable.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
TheLittleFox wrote:
At least for my usage, I don't need more travel, I would like to have more freedom to run another shock. Over long descents, the DPS will be limited. And today 190x45 shock option is low.
I heard people running 190x50 to get a bit more travel that's why I mentioned it, although it's not my first concern.

Will the DPX2 fit the new TB? Is it made in that size? Curious.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
gmoss wrote:
TheLittleFox wrote:

Will the DPX2 fit the new TB? Is it made in that size? Curious.

Yes it has been done. Fox is capable of making a dpx2 to fit. I got two buddies that run a dpx2 on their tallboys. It doesn't exist but if you ask nicely I bet they would do it for ya.

Also seen sram athletes with a super deluxe on their tallboyz.

But if you're looking to get more travel on a v4 tallboy, I'd say buy a hightower and put light weight parts/tires on it. Boom. V4 tallboy has its limits...

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 22:04 Quote
The buy/sell tab on PB is currently flooded with Megatowers, it’s just unreal how many are being listed, any idea on why this is happening? It’s kind of scary. Covid-19 fault?

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 22:29 Quote
juxtapozy wrote:
The buy/sell tab on PB is currently flooded with Megatowers, it’s just unreal how many are being listed, any idea on why this is happening? It’s kind of scary. Covid-19 fault?

Could be because its "too much of a bike" for most people who should have bought a HT or a bronson/5010

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
juxtapozy wrote:

might be because it was the first in line of their new 29er fleet. With big rig enduro bikes being the flavour of the month a year ago. So people got on board and now they want less travel.

On the topic of cascade desi link for tallboy: it already has healthy amount of prog. (40% compared to hightower's 23% or something).

For the life of me I don't comprehend santacruz _not_ giving hightower coil clearance. For purely technical reasons that is. Economical (not cannibalizing mega sales) I do get their thinking.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 0:08 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
tgent wrote:
TheLittleFox wrote:
Hope they offer a new link for the Tallboy soon. Would be nice to be able to fit other shock length, and get a bit more travel to match a bigger fork.

I truly don't understand this, so asking for peoples thoughts, not bashing the people that have done it already. What's the point of people wanting to add travel to these bikes? If you want a bike that's more capable than a tallboy, buy a hightower. If you want a bike that's more capable than a hightower and can run a coil, buy a megatower. If you want a bike that's more progressive and longer travel than a bronson, buy a nomad... I feel like SC already has these segments really well covered, but lots of people are looking to add travel/progression on bikes that aren't really designed for it. I understand fine tuning but it seems these wouldn't be as popular if that was all some people were doing.

At the end of the day, to each their own obviously, who cares what I think, it's your bike. Just trying to understand why these links seem to be so popular.

Good question. For me, I kept the stock shock length so the 7mm travel increase wasn't my real goal. Im fine with the Nomad as it is for travel. But, more progression, better kinematics and longer chain stays is what Im after and so far the difference is pretty noticeable.

Well if you are a tallboy owner already and want a bit more travel the link would be much more economical than a new bike. Especially since most of these bikes have very similar geometry.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
juxtapozy wrote:

My guess is it's in line with what happens every spring with people trying to unload the current years model. You'll be able to get a lot more for a Megatower now than in July when the new colors come out (ignoring delays due to COVID). You may see a small bump from people hurting financially as well, think shop wrenches who get paid hourly and likely aren't getting paid right now and are sitting on a $10k bike.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 7:28 Quote
For me, Megatower is more towards a plowing race bike. Not really applicable as daily driver.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 8:23 Quote
chyu wrote:
For me, Megatower is more towards a plowing race bike. Not really applicable as daily driver.

You will be surprised….. I even use it in The Netherlands, where t iis really flat, rides really well(ok, when my tallboy finally shows up I suspect it will be used alot less here, but for now it works fine

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
juxtapozy wrote:

Some of it looks like dealers selling online, some maybe individuals affected by Covid-19...However there's also a ton of Capras and other models listed in the BuySell section.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
juxtapozy wrote:

I think the Megatower was overhyped, and it underdelivered.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
seraph wrote:
juxtapozy wrote:

I think the Megatower was overhyped, and it underdelivered.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019491
Mobile Version of Website