show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
seraph wrote:
juxtapozy wrote:
The buy/sell tab on PB is currently flooded with Megatowers, it’s just unreal how many are being listed, any idea on why this is happening? It’s kind of scary. Covid-19 fault?

I think the Megatower was overhyped, and it underdelivered.

I disagree (tho I just bought one so I'm very biased), I think the initial reviews of it weren't great mostly due to the stiff shock damping tune. Most people having this problem were lighter riders on the air shock, not the coil, though I do think it's a legitimate complaint. If you are a lighter rider planning to run an air shock, factor that in and plan to do a custom tune or replace the shock with something else like an x2 when buying.

After test riding the Megatower, Yeti Sb150, Scott Ransom, Trek Slash, and Spec Enduro, I bought the Megatower because I thought it was one of the best all around enduro bikes. It can be setup to be either more agile and poppy or an absolute plower which is fairly unique in this segment and the only other bike I tested that could do that nearly as well was the SB150. Here's why I ruled out each of the others as well, Slash and Enduro felt like all they could do was plow, definitely the most downhill oriented of the bunch, Ransom felt like it was the best trail bike but couldn't handle the downhill that the others could, which left me with the Sb150 and Megatower and the Megatower was significantly cheaper. Decision made. Overall I feel many, many people have bought the bike and most really like it even if the initial reviews were lackluster.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
tgent wrote:

I disagree (tho I just bought one so I'm very biased), I think the initial reviews of it weren't great mostly due to the stiff shock damping tune. Most people having this problem were lighter riders on the air shock, not the coil, though I do think it's a legitimate complaint. If you are a lighter rider planning to run an air shock, factor that in and plan to do a custom tune or replace the shock with something else like an x2 when buying.

After test riding the Megatower, Yeti Sb150, Scott Ransom, Trek Slash, and Spec Enduro, I bought the Megatower because I thought it was one of the best all around enduro bikes. It can be setup to be either more agile and poppy or an absolute plower which is fairly unique in this segment and the only other bike I tested that could do that nearly as well was the SB150. Here's why I ruled out each of the others as well, Slash and Enduro felt like all they could do was plow, definitely the most downhill oriented of the bunch, Ransom felt like it was the best trail bike but couldn't handle the downhill that the others could, which left me with the Sb150 and Megatower and the Megatower was significantly cheaper. Decision made. Overall I feel many, many people have bought the bike and most really like it even if the initial reviews were lackluster.

Completely agree. I think SC spec'ed the wrong shock for this bike. I sold the SD air and bought an X2 and DHX2 which both work amazingly well. The MT has a good amount of progression, it's efficient, and the chainstay flip chip and XXL size is a godsend to really tall people. There's no major issues with the frame like cracking chainstays or anything.

The other thing I've noticed about the MT (and longer travel SC bikes in general) is people exaggerating how much bike it is. The MT is a very normal enduro bike. It's at the lower end of the travel range for an enduro bike. The geo isn't really that long or slack....but for some reason when the Megatower comes up people talk about it being a big plow bike. Don't get me wrong, it's great in that area (like every enduro bike should be) but it's surprisingly playful. It's certainly possible there were some SC fans waiting for a lower link 29er and ended up with too much bike but it's not like the MT is some extreme plow machine compared to other long travel bikes.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
Yep there is a welcome amout of playfulness with the shorter chainstay setting. I didnt get along with the stock sd air either but with push internals on marzocchi bomber it is just perfect for what i like to do. Small trail center downhill shredding, enduro focused trail riding and some uplift access rides on weekends.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
tgent wrote:

Completely agree. I think SC spec'ed the wrong shock for this bike. I sold the SD air and bought an X2 and DHX2 which both work amazingly well. The MT has a good amount of progression, it's efficient, and the chainstay flip chip and XXL size is a godsend to really tall people. There's no major issues with the frame like cracking chainstays or anything.

The other thing I've noticed about the MT (and longer travel SC bikes in general) is people exaggerating how much bike it is. The MT is a very normal enduro bike. It's at the lower end of the travel range for an enduro bike. The geo isn't really that long or slack....but for some reason when the Megatower comes up people talk about it being a big plow bike. Don't get me wrong, it's great in that area (like every enduro bike should be) but it's surprisingly playful. It's certainly possible there were some SC fans waiting for a lower link 29er and ended up with too much bike but it's not like the MT is some extreme plow machine compared to other long travel bikes.

I think that kind of happens a lot with longer travel bikes in general. When the nomad 4 came out everyone hopped on the wagon and then complained that it was too much bike, etc. Even the nomad 3 was described as a plow bike, with only 10mm more travel than the bronson at the time. Im on an evil wreckoning now which was described as a plow bike through-and-through, and i dont find that to be true.
but i do agree, the super deluxe air as stock was the downfall of the megatower for most people, myself probably included. the bike was hyped for months prior to its release and just didnt deliver with that. Didnt get to try it with any other shock but everyone ive talked to that uses a float X2/dhx2/SD coil has raved about the megatower. Unfortunate.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
tgent wrote:

I'm not too sure why SC put the SD shock on the rear end at all for both the MT and the HT. I have a 2020 HT and felt like the rear end was too stiff and non responsive over the small bumps - I ended up putting a dpx2 on there and it feels great now.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
Views: 139    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

first stage of the custom re- build of my nomad v4 , thinking positive and looking forward to getting back to canada

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
damn she's a beaut.

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
scblurlt wrote:
Views: 139    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

first stage of the custom re- build of my nomad v4 , thinking positive and looking forward to getting back to canada

Whooa! Wow.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
photo

My 2018 Chameleon. love it for playing in the local woods! tup

Bought it as a stock 'D' Build but have changed most parts out and lengthened the fork to 130.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

Just finished building my new Hightower. Still waiting on the decals but wanted to post it in the meantime. Pretty stoked on how it came out. Got the Vorsprung Tractive Valve and tune by Full Flow in Auburn and threw on the MegNeg. She's feeling pretty dialed.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
blkmrktrider156 wrote:
2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

Just finished building my new Hightower. Still waiting on the decals but wanted to post it in the meantime. Pretty stoked on how it came out. Got the Vorsprung Tractive Valve and tune by Full Flow in Auburn and threw on the MegNeg. She's feeling pretty dialed.

How long did Full Flow take? I've emailed them a couple times about servicing right now and haven't heard back.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
blkmrktrider156 wrote:
2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

Is that a large? That looks really really good!

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
That looks amazing!

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

How long did Full Flow take? I've emailed them a couple times about servicing right now and haven't heard back.[/Quote]

Give Michael a call, I never have an issue calling. He is limiting his work right now but It was done in 4 days.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
christiaan wrote:
blkmrktrider156 wrote:
2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

2020 Hightower 2

Is that a large? That looks really really good!

Thanks man, yea it's a large! I'm 6' and was considering an XL but I'm glad I didn't. It is super precise and playful.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.041883
Mobile Version of Website